Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:18 pm

Air Force OYCP acceptance notifications have started going out. Not sure if they go out on a rolling basis or all at once though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:34 pm

I have a friend who talked to an Air Force recruiter today about whether to try to go officer with her bachelors degree or go enlisted and he told her there is a wait list for all officers until 2018. Does that apply to JAG or is that just non-specialty officers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear back from the Army Corps of Engineers? I think they said offers would go out by today, so I assume they've sent out offers?
Hi guys, sorry to bring this up again. I know there were a few of us here who interviewed with the Army Corps of Engineers Honors Program and with the General Counsel's honors program, and I was wondering if anyone heard anything back yet?

I'm waiting to hear back from the General Counsel's honors program. My understanding is they would make their decision early this week. Today is the first day I expected to hear anything since yesterday was a holiday.
Got a call from the OGC Honors Program; accepted the offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear back from the Army Corps of Engineers? I think they said offers would go out by today, so I assume they've sent out offers?
Hi guys, sorry to bring this up again. I know there were a few of us here who interviewed with the Army Corps of Engineers Honors Program and with the General Counsel's honors program, and I was wondering if anyone heard anything back yet?

I'm waiting to hear back from the General Counsel's honors program. My understanding is they would make their decision early this week. Today is the first day I expected to hear anything since yesterday was a holiday.
Congrats!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:49 pm

Just got offered an AF JAG externship at Andrews in DC. Any thoughts/experiences on externing here?

I'm debating between this and an (unpaid) internship with one of the outer borough DAs offices in NYC. I interned at one of those offices 1L summer, and I'm trying to keep both major city ADA and JAG career paths open (currently somewhere between median and top-3rd at a T14). I've heard anecdotally that DA's offices look positively on JAG internships, but I'm wondering if anyone has direct experience with that.

Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got offered an AF JAG externship at Andrews in DC. Any thoughts/experiences on externing here?

I'm debating between this and an (unpaid) internship with one of the outer borough DAs offices in NYC. I interned at one of those offices 1L summer, and I'm trying to keep both major city ADA and JAG career paths open (currently somewhere between median and top-3rd at a T14). I've heard anecdotally that DA's offices look positively on JAG internships, but I'm wondering if anyone has direct experience with that.

Thanks!
If you are looking to keep both options open I would do AF because DA offices look favorably upon JAG and just try to do your schools prosecution clinic. Where as the JAG internships are closer to necessary for Active Duty JAG.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got offered an AF JAG externship at Andrews in DC. Any thoughts/experiences on externing here?

Thanks!
If you are looking to keep both options open I would do AF because DA offices look favorably upon JAG and just try to do your schools prosecution clinic. Where as the JAG internships are closer to necessary for Active Duty JAG.
Agreed 100%. If you are serious about JAG, the best thing you can do at the moment is do the JAG internship.

Do you know where you will be at Andrews (11th Wing Legal Office versus somewhere in AFLOA)? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to share on the forum.

hkh2220

New

Post by hkh2220 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:34 pm

Has anyone participated in the Army JAG conference call? I missed mine because I was traveling.

Was there specific information provided? Or just directing us to the process of MEPS etc.?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:14 pm

There's one today at 5:30 EST

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Roclandsfinest23

Bronze

Post by Roclandsfinest23 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:40 pm

Question for anyone that has done an internship with one of the military branches.

I am currently filling out my character and fitness application and it requires a notarized form from each employer/internship completed. Any suggestion on who I should send the form to for the Army internship I did over the summer? Thanks

aka123

New

Post by aka123 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:10 pm

hkh2220 wrote:Has anyone participated in the Army JAG conference call? I missed mine because I was traveling.

Was there specific information provided? Or just directing us to the process of MEPS etc.?
Hey there, I'll be on the call tonight. If you cannot make it, lmk and I can send you my notes.

frankbeans

New

Post by frankbeans » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:03 pm

Roclandsfinest23 wrote:Question for anyone that has done an internship with one of the military branches.

I am currently filling out my character and fitness application and it requires a notarized form from each employer/internship completed. Any suggestion on who I should send the form to for the Army internship I did over the summer? Thanks
I sent my forms to my sponsor for my summer internship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:12 am

Is anyone else having problems with scheduling the "secondary medical tests" (HIV, drug, alcohol, urinalysis) for Army? Around here the two labs that run these types of tests are Labcorp and Quest. I've called a few of them and cannot even get an answer as to whether they can even perform all of these tests at the same location or not. They are asking me to provide them with the codes of the tests ordered by my doctor. When I explain that I don't have any of these and explain that this is for the military, they tell me that they cannot do testing for the military. Very frustrating.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is anyone else having problems with scheduling the "secondary medical tests" (HIV, drug, alcohol, urinalysis) for Army? Around here the two labs that run these types of tests are Labcorp and Quest. I've called a few of them and cannot even get an answer as to whether they can even perform all of these tests at the same location or not. They are asking me to provide them with the codes of the tests ordered by my doctor. When I explain that I don't have any of these and explain that this is for the military, they tell me that they cannot do testing for the military. Very frustrating.
I just scheduled a physical with my primary care physician and asked her to order the tests. The hospital lab was able to run all of the tests for me the next morning.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:29 am

Looks like the paid 1L and 2L summer internship program for the AF JAGC is back folks.

Deadline is in 8 days - get crackin'.

aka123

New

Post by aka123 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is anyone else having problems with scheduling the "secondary medical tests" (HIV, drug, alcohol, urinalysis) for Army? Around here the two labs that run these types of tests are Labcorp and Quest. I've called a few of them and cannot even get an answer as to whether they can even perform all of these tests at the same location or not. They are asking me to provide them with the codes of the tests ordered by my doctor. When I explain that I don't have any of these and explain that this is for the military, they tell me that they cannot do testing for the military. Very frustrating.
I just scheduled a physical with my primary care physician and asked her to order the tests. The hospital lab was able to run all of the tests for me the next morning.
Labcorp and Quest need orders from your doctor to perform the blood work. They're essentially contract workers. So as above poster mentioned, you'll need to go to a doctor who will order the tests for you. If your insurance won't cover the testing, you could try a college/university health center or a Planned Parenthood.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:59 pm

Anyone ever had issues with the SF85 (through e-QIP)? I don't have anything serious, but some of my "persons who knew you at X address" are pretty tenuous. Also, the company I worked at before law school has gone out of business, and I'm not sure if the contact info I have for people there is still good.

How rigorous a check is it?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone ever had issues with the SF85 (through e-QIP)? I don't have anything serious, but some of my "persons who knew you at X address" are pretty tenuous. Also, the company I worked at before law school has gone out of business, and I'm not sure if the contact info I have for people there is still good.

How rigorous a check is it?
The answer depends on how many places you have worked, lived, foreign travel/contacts, so on and so forth. Investigators are just looking for opportunities to meet with people who know you, and whether conversations with said individuals will yield any red flags that warrant a further look. So if the investigator is satisfied that you are on the up and up, this shouldn't be a big deal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:02 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:Looks like the paid 1L and 2L summer internship program for the AF JAGC is back folks.

Deadline is in 8 days - get crackin'.
Just submitted my application. Didn't see a full length photo requirement like the externship though, oddly, so I submitted without one. I guess they will ask for one if they want one?

Roclandsfinest23

Bronze

Post by Roclandsfinest23 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:19 am

Do we get the information we need for shots once we submit the DODMERB Medical Worksheet?

EasternAndSunset

New

Post by EasternAndSunset » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:09 pm

For those wondering about medical waivers for Army. I completed all the DODMERB stuff back in Sep 2016. Ended up needing a waiver for myopia. Just found out earlier today that I received the waiver and am finally medically cleared. So just pretty much confirming the medical waiver process is pretty long.

Just so prospects have a general timeline and a bit of advice, which I wish I knew.
I graduated law school back in May 2015, took July 2015 bar, got accepted for Army Dec 2015. Originally slotted for DCC Oct 2016, got pushed back to Jan 2017, and am currently slotted to go May 2017, which looks like the actual date I'll get to start. That's a full 2 years after I graduated.

If you're going to go the Army route, I highly suggest you have a normal legal job set up for after taking the bar/post bar results while you're waiting to go to DCC. I made the mistake of declining a couple job opportunities post-bar b/c I wrongly thought I would get to go to DCC much sooner. I'm gonna be going a year after I thought I would, and like I said earlier, 2 years after I actually graduated. So hopefully that helps out someone in the future

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JackSparrow123

New

Post by JackSparrow123 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:32 pm

EasternAndSunset wrote:For those wondering about medical waivers for Army. I completed all the DODMERB stuff back in Sep 2016. Ended up needing a waiver for myopia. Just found out earlier today that I received the waiver and am finally medically cleared. So just pretty much confirming the medical waiver process is pretty long.

Just so prospects have a general timeline and a bit of advice, which I wish I knew.
I graduated law school back in May 2015, took July 2015 bar, got accepted for Army Dec 2015. Originally slotted for DCC Oct 2016, got pushed back to Jan 2017, and am currently slotted to go May 2017, which looks like the actual date I'll get to start. That's a full 2 years after I graduated.

If you're going to go the Army route, I highly suggest you have a normal legal job set up for after taking the bar/post bar results while you're waiting to go to DCC. I made the mistake of declining a couple job opportunities post-bar b/c I wrongly thought I would get to go to DCC much sooner. I'm gonna be going a year after I thought I would, and like I said earlier, 2 years after I actually graduated. So hopefully that helps out someone in the future
Why did you finish your DODMERB in Sep 2016 when you were accepted in Dec 2015? Was there a some kind of delay?

EasternAndSunset

New

Post by EasternAndSunset » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:48 am

JackSparrow123 wrote:
EasternAndSunset wrote:For those wondering about medical waivers for Army. I completed all the DODMERB stuff back in Sep 2016. Ended up needing a waiver for myopia. Just found out earlier today that I received the waiver and am finally medically cleared. So just pretty much confirming the medical waiver process is pretty long.

Why did you finish your DODMERB in Sep 2016 when you were accepted in Dec 2015? Was there a some kind of delay?
Not sure honestly. I started filling out forms in Jan/Feb 2016, but JARO didn't have me start doing medical until end of Aug 2016. They let me know I wasn't gonna be able to make the Oct 2016 DCC class around July. So I'm not sure what was going on with all that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:38 am

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Hey guys, I just got a call too. Looks like they're taking more than one person.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”