Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
DaveCA

New

Re: Military Law

Post by DaveCA » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:05 pm

NavyJAG1 wrote:
toster19 wrote:I just accepted a Navy JAG summer internship in San Diego. Any idea when we will get information as to dates of the program? I need to try to schedule some of my other commitments around JAG, but dont know when I will be working.
Generally the intern program is pretty flexible. Most likely you will hear from the intern coordinator for that office in the future. Hard to speculate on when that will be.
I did the San Diego internship last summer, and I can confirm it's very flexible. You pick the start and finish dates (which are more or less then set in stone), and they get to work on getting your base access paperwork filled out (which shows the start/finish dates).

It's a very rewarding experience if you work hard (having a sense of humor is a bonus).

One last bit: I'm sure because you're posting on here you're probably not, but don't be that guy that shows up knowing absolutely nothing about the Navy. We had a kid on his first day trying to figure out what an officer is, and how that differs from enlisted folk.

Doc Review Lifer

New

Post by Doc Review Lifer » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:15 pm

DaveCA wrote:
Doc Review Lifer wrote:Any other AF DAP applicants awaiting the April Selection Board?
Impatiently waiting as always.
Is this your first time applying for DAP? This will be my third board.

DaveCA

New

Post by DaveCA » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:33 pm

Doc Review Lifer wrote:
DaveCA wrote:
Doc Review Lifer wrote:Any other AF DAP applicants awaiting the April Selection Board?
First. I've been putting all my eggs in the Navy basket up until now.

Doc Review Lifer

New

Post by Doc Review Lifer » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:19 pm

DaveCA wrote:
Doc Review Lifer wrote:
DaveCA wrote:
First. I've been putting all my eggs in the Navy basket up until now.
Best of luck. Let's hope for a quick (and favorable) decision from the Selection Board!

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:23 pm

DaveCA wrote:I did the San Diego internship last summer, and I can confirm it's very flexible. You pick the start and finish dates (which are more or less then set in stone), and they get to work on getting your base access paperwork filled out (which shows the start/finish dates).

It's a very rewarding experience if you work hard (having a sense of humor is a bonus).

One last bit: I'm sure because you're posting on here you're probably not, but don't be that guy that shows up knowing absolutely nothing about the Navy. We had a kid on his first day trying to figure out what an officer is, and how that differs from enlisted folk.

Thanks for this post. Do you have any other thoughts or advice on how to do well while interning with the Navy? Or anything you wish you would have known going into it? Not trying to gun, but I do want to make the best impression I can so I can have good letters of rec for later applications to full time programs. 8)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DaveCA

New

Post by DaveCA » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:32 am

shock259 wrote:Thanks for this post. Do you have any other thoughts or advice on how to do well while interning with the Navy? Or anything you wish you would have known going into it? Not trying to gun, but I do want to make the best impression I can so I can have good letters of rec for later applications to full time programs. 8)
If you really want to gun, look up the "Military Criminal Justice: Practice and Procedure" guide on Lexis. It's a Bender guide, and it's pretty useful to get a grasp on what military criminal law is all about.

But besides that, they're pretty grateful when they have hardworking interns, so don't be afraid to ask questions, and don't just tell them you want to be a JAG officer, show them you have what it takes, and there's a good chance you'll come away with at least one solid letter of rec in the end. They won't expect you to hit the ground running the first second you're there, so just keep your eyes and ears open, never skip an opportunity to see or learn something new, and always make sure you're offering your assistance if you're running out of things to work on. Usual intern work ethic stuff.

Also, you'll likely be treated as a peer by the newer officers, and called "sir" (or ma'am) by the enlisted, so don't kiss ass unless it's at least an O-4 or higher.

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:00 am

Third time here, but at least with a significantly improved application package.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:41 am

DaveCA wrote:
shock259 wrote:Thanks for this post. Do you have any other thoughts or advice on how to do well while interning with the Navy? Or anything you wish you would have known going into it? Not trying to gun, but I do want to make the best impression I can so I can have good letters of rec for later applications to full time programs. 8)
If you really want to gun, look up the "Military Criminal Justice: Practice and Procedure" guide on Lexis. It's a Bender guide, and it's pretty useful to get a grasp on what military criminal law is all about.

But besides that, they're pretty grateful when they have hardworking interns, so don't be afraid to ask questions, and don't just tell them you want to be a JAG officer, show them you have what it takes, and there's a good chance you'll come away with at least one solid letter of rec in the end. They won't expect you to hit the ground running the first second you're there, so just keep your eyes and ears open, never skip an opportunity to see or learn something new, and always make sure you're offering your assistance if you're running out of things to work on. Usual intern work ethic stuff.

Also, you'll likely be treated as a peer by the newer officers, and called "sir" (or ma'am) by the enlisted, so don't kiss ass unless it's at least an O-4 or higher.
This is great advice Army and Air Force interns as well.

If military justice appeals to you, pun intended, I would also check out the Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces (CAAF) blog:
http://www.caaflog.com/

DaveCA

New

Post by DaveCA » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:28 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:This is great advice Army and Air Force interns as well.

If military justice appeals to you, pun intended, I would also check out the Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces (CAAF) blog:
http://www.caaflog.com/
Absolutely. The "Military Criminal Justice: Practice and Procedure" guide is non-force specific - the general rules relate to all branches. Each branch, each base and each judge have their own idiosyncratic methods, but the basic stuff is the same for everyone.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wordtoyourmother12

New

Post by wordtoyourmother12 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:32 pm

DaveCA wrote:
Also awaiting AF DAP word. I received an email notifying me that my letter of reconsideration was received and they will be reconsidering my application. Sounds like we won't hear results until mid-May.

Does anyone else have an idea of what to submit in order to update our applications? They requested a new transcript, which I am having sent in, but other than that I was just thinking about sending in an updated resume. Any other thoughts for us reconsideration people?

DaveCA

New

Post by DaveCA » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:18 pm

wordtoyourmother12 wrote:Also awaiting AF DAP word. I received an email notifying me that my letter of reconsideration was received and they will be reconsidering my application. Sounds like we won't hear results until mid-May.
FWIW, I can't speak to the other questions you have, but I was told by the SJA I interviewed with you should hear back no later than May 4th if everything goes according to plan.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:48 pm

Checking in.

Doc Review Lifer

New

Post by Doc Review Lifer » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:19 am

Well here's hoping for May 4th, then.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bouakedojo

Bronze

Post by bouakedojo » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:23 pm

So, as far as I'm aware, only 2L AF internship decisions have gone out?

I'd bet at least a few TLSers would be nabbing some of the 1L spots!

wedge96

New

Post by wedge96 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:12 pm

So phone calls for the AF 2L internship have gone out?

bouakedojo

Bronze

Post by bouakedojo » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:24 pm

wedge96 wrote:So phone calls for the AF 2L internship have gone out?
Ya, read the last couple of pages for more info. They might not be done, but they have started. I don't know how long the process lasts.

Texan09

New

Post by Texan09 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:25 pm

Army Internship update: I received a rejection letter initially. I was also not placed on the alternate list. Just received a call today from the Army offering me a summer internship. I guess this means a lot of people rejected their selections?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chicubs88

New

Post by chicubs88 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:34 pm

Anyone else applying to the Marine JAG board on April 5? If so, do you know when we will hear back?

darkknight2000

New

Post by darkknight2000 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:25 pm

I know a few people were asking about selection rates for OYCP and GLP. I got into OYCP last year and from what I was told only 2 people (including myself) were accepted into OYCP and 4 into GLP. So don't be discouraged if you didn't get in this time. It seems like the number of people they're taking in these programs are just so small. If anyone has any questions about OYCP, feel free to PM me.

QueueToo

New

Post by QueueToo » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:32 pm

I was told three people were accepted to the Air Force OYCP this year.

ShockTop

New

Post by ShockTop » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:33 pm

Other Navy interns, where did you guys end up?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:51 pm

AF Internship hopefuls: The AF JAG Recruiting Facebook page said earlier that the internship acceptance/rejection letters have not yet been sent out, but they should go out on Monday.

http://www.facebook.com/USAFJAG

Good luck to everyone.

joe_45

New

Post by joe_45 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:14 am

Got an Air Force JAG Externship for the summer!

bouakedojo

Bronze

Post by bouakedojo » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:49 pm

joe_45 wrote:Got an Air Force JAG Externship for the summer!
Hey Joe, congrats, man. :)

Question, though: are you talking about the internships or something your school offers?

joe_45

New

Post by joe_45 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:58 pm

bouakedojo wrote:
joe_45 wrote:Got an Air Force JAG Externship for the summer!
Hey Joe, congrats, man. :)

Question, though: are you talking about the internships or something your school offers?
It's through the school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”