Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 02, 2018 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:AF DAP Active Duty calls are going out, but they could happen any time this week.

SJAs are individually notified by e-mail when one of their interviewees is selected. Notifications go out to all SJAs for all interviewees at the same time. SJAs are then given a deadline for making the notification calls.

I believe once all notifications are made, they will then send out the ding e-mails.
Ok, so everyone will not get called on the same days. Do you know if it will be 2 weeks of calls or does it just it just wrap up this week?

P.S.: Congrats to those who have been selected thus far!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 02, 2018 3:06 pm

I should have stayed off these forums this week. Now I'll be distracted waiting for a call, wondering if I did not get selected or if the SJA is out on leave. Hoping I get the call.

Congrats to all who were accepted so far.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 02, 2018 6:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:AF DAP Active Duty calls are going out, but they could happen any time this week.

SJAs are individually notified by e-mail when one of their interviewees is selected. Notifications go out to all SJAs for all interviewees at the same time. SJAs are then given a deadline for making the notification calls.

I believe once all notifications are made, they will then send out the ding e-mails.
Ok, so everyone will not get called on the same days. Do you know if it will be 2 weeks of calls or does it just it just wrap up this week?

P.S.: Congrats to those who have been selected thus far!
It should just be this week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 04, 2018 12:35 pm

MGH1989 wrote:Has anyone who was selected as an alternate for this past board for Army JAG heard anything? Also, is it possible to switch from an AD alternate to a reserve alternate?
I was selected off the alternate list as a primary candidate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 04, 2018 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
MGH1989 wrote:Has anyone who was selected as an alternate for this past board for Army JAG heard anything? Also, is it possible to switch from an AD alternate to a reserve alternate?
I just received an email about being selected off the alternate list as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 04, 2018 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I just received an email about being selected off the alternate list as well.
Congrats!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 07, 2018 7:36 am

Congrats. Have you received your SF86 to complete

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 07, 2018 10:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:Congrats. Have you received your SF86 to complete
That's your security clearance form right? I haven't received it yet although I already have clearance as I work gov't job. So hopefully the process will be quick. Did you get yours?

bitaten

New

Post by bitaten » Mon May 07, 2018 12:40 pm

Can anyone confirm if the AF April board emails have gone out? Still in the dark over here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Wolfman10

New

Post by Wolfman10 » Mon May 07, 2018 1:56 pm

bitaten wrote:Can anyone confirm if the AF April board emails have gone out? Still in the dark over here.
I don't think the emails have gone out yet. I'm in the same boat; didn't get a call, but nothing in my email yet.

Ajamae

New

Post by Ajamae » Mon May 07, 2018 2:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
That's your security clearance form right? I haven't received it yet although I already have clearance as I work gov't job. So hopefully the process will be quick. Did you get yours?
No. I’m wondering if you get it after you become medical qualified. Can anyone shed some light?

deadthrone7

New

Post by deadthrone7 » Mon May 07, 2018 8:24 pm

Wolfman10 wrote:
bitaten wrote:Can anyone confirm if the AF April board emails have gone out? Still in the dark over here.
I don't think the emails have gone out yet. I'm in the same boat; didn't get a call, but nothing in my email yet.
Same here.

YutLaw

New

Post by YutLaw » Tue May 08, 2018 1:45 am

deadthrone7 wrote:
Wolfman10 wrote:
Same here.

April Board USAF Student-Select here: I received the phone call early last week and a welcome/ roadmap email this afternoon. Best of luck to everyone.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 08, 2018 3:01 am

I have been a long time follower of this thread. I just wanted to thank all those who have contribute to such wealth of knowledge, guidance, and wisdom. I also want to congratulate all of the recent DAP selects.

I have a questions/concern to any of the season active posters here:
18OT04 Active Duty Board scheduled in Aug 2018 has been cancelled.

Thank you for your interest in serving as an officer in the United States Air Force. Due to a significantly high volume of applications, the 180T04 Active Duty Board has been cancelled. Many options were seriously considered before making this decision. This change is a necessary step to allow future selects to attend Total Force Officer Training within twelve months of their selection notification. We are anticipating a release of the FY19 board schedule on or after 1 Jun 2018.

Cancellation of the 18OT04 does not affect the Battle field Air Force Specialties of Combat Rescue Officer, Special Tactics Officer and Air Liaison Officer Selection process.

I am aware that the JAG Corps have their own separate process for Active Duty Boards, however, I wanted to know if anyone knew whether the DAP will be affected by the above quoted status?

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Tue May 08, 2018 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have been a long time follower of this thread. I just wanted to thank all those who have contribute to such wealth of knowledge, guidance, and wisdom. I also want to congratulate all of the recent DAP selects.

I have a questions/concern to any of the season active posters here:
18OT04 Active Duty Board scheduled in Aug 2018 has been cancelled.

Thank you for your interest in serving as an officer in the United States Air Force. Due to a significantly high volume of applications, the 180T04 Active Duty Board has been cancelled. Many options were seriously considered before making this decision. This change is a necessary step to allow future selects to attend Total Force Officer Training within twelve months of their selection notification. We are anticipating a release of the FY19 board schedule on or after 1 Jun 2018.

Cancellation of the 18OT04 does not affect the Battle field Air Force Specialties of Combat Rescue Officer, Special Tactics Officer and Air Liaison Officer Selection process.

I am aware that the JAG Corps have their own separate process for Active Duty Boards, however, I wanted to know if anyone knew whether the DAP will be affected by the above quoted status?
JAG Accessions are entirely separate from the OTS Selection Boards. Cancellation of an OTS board has no impact on JAG hiring.

w7ldcard

Bronze

Post by w7ldcard » Tue May 08, 2018 11:26 pm

Ajamae wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
No. I’m wondering if you get it after you become medical qualified. Can anyone shed some light?
After medical JAX will give you your location then do your SF86 + orders.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 09, 2018 8:38 pm

YutLaw wrote:
deadthrone7 wrote:
Wolfman10 wrote:
Same here.

April Board USAF Student-Select here: I received the phone call early last week and a welcome/ roadmap email this afternoon. Best of luck to everyone.
Any DAP selectees receive emails? Still waiting for any word.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 10, 2018 11:49 am

Nuts.
Dear Applicant,

The Air Force Judge Advocate General's Corps Accessions Screening Board carefully considered your application for the Direct Appointment Program.  Unfortunately, you were not selected this round.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Mon May 14, 2018 12:44 pm

Good news for the AF folks on the board - we are officially making the switch over to OCPs.

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your ... ld-get-it/

Relevant for the new DAP selects and other newbies:
Oct. 1, 2019: New airmen coming in through basic military training, officer training school, and the Reserve Officer Training Corps will get their OCPs beginning next October, when LaBrutta said the production capacity is expected to be able to meet that demand.
So be prepared to buy all the ABU kit knowing you will have to replace it in April 2021.

Now, time to fix our service dress!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 14, 2018 8:03 pm

@Current and former AF JAGs. How difficult is it to get stationed overseas if you list it as a preference? Are those positions pretty highly valued and therefore hard to come by? Or is it something that if you want (and request), you'll likely get it?

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Mon May 14, 2018 8:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:@Current and former AF JAGs. How difficult is it to get stationed overseas if you list it as a preference? Are those positions pretty highly valued and therefore hard to come by? Or is it something that if you want (and request), you'll likely get it?
Most folks jump at the chance to get a USAFE or PACAF assignment. They are not easy to come by.

One exception is Kusan AB, ROK. It is a one year unaccompanied tour (your family does not get to come with you) that comes with an assignment preference for your follow-on. The saying is that the road to Germany is through Kunsan - a lot of folks volunteer for Kunsan and get a USAFE/PACAF follow-on at a nice base. That all said, Kunsan gets a bad rap - it is a great experience, albeit a unique one, and a great opportunity. Different version of Korea than Osan, for sure, but I would not trade my year there.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 14, 2018 8:46 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:@Current and former AF JAGs. How difficult is it to get stationed overseas if you list it as a preference? Are those positions pretty highly valued and therefore hard to come by? Or is it something that if you want (and request), you'll likely get it?
Most folks jump at the chance to get a USAFE or PACAF assignment. They are not easy to come by.

One exception is Kusan AB, ROK. It is a one year unaccompanied tour (your family does not get to come with you) that comes with an assignment preference for your follow-on. The saying is that the road to Germany is through Kunsan - a lot of folks volunteer for Kunsan and get a USAFE/PACAF follow-on at a nice base. That all said, Kunsan gets a bad rap - it is a great experience, albeit a unique one, and a great opportunity. Different version of Korea than Osan, for sure, but I would not trade my year there.
That's a bummer. I've been picked up for OYCP and was hoping I'd be able to get stationed somewhere in Europe after graduation.

You definitely wouldn't count on that though? Even assuming my dream sheet consisted of all oversea bases?

Backload

New

Post by Backload » Mon May 14, 2018 11:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:

That's a bummer. I've been picked up for OYCP and was hoping I'd be able to get stationed somewhere in Europe after graduation.

You definitely wouldn't count on that though? Even assuming my dream sheet consisted of all oversea bases?
Eventually some first assignment Captain gets stationed at Ramstein. I wouldn’t bank on it as most put it on their dream sheet, but it’s a slight possibility.

First assignment you will be in Maxwell for just over two months, and you will be figuring out your new job. It definitely depends on the base, but I don’t think certain overseas bases are that great for first assignment Captains. You want to be able to enjoy the overseas and not stuck learning the job.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Tue May 15, 2018 9:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've been picked up for OYCP and was hoping I'd be able to get stationed somewhere in Europe after graduation.
There are folks that have been serving for years that are hoping to get stationed somewhere in USAFE. There are more bases, and more positions, CONUS - it is as simple as that. And then factor in that more people are going to request assignments to geographically desirable locations - you can't escape the math.
Anonymous User wrote:Even assuming my dream sheet consisted of all oversea bases?
:roll:

I'm sure the assignments officer at JAX might get a good chuckle at your attempt to hack the Kobayashi Maru for your first duty station, and then consider if you would be a good fit for Altus. Seriously - if folks could end up somewhere nice simply by only listing nice places on their dream sheet, you would have the entire JAG corps fighting for office space at Aviano and Hickam, while the Wing Commanders at Cannon and Minot were wondering why not one was picking up the phone at Legal.
Backload wrote: Eventually some first assignment Captain gets stationed at Ramstein. I wouldn’t bank on it as most put it on their dream sheet, but it’s a slight possibility.
At the end of the day, this is the answer. Feel free to ask but keep your expectations in check. Good friends from my JASOC class ended up in USAFE/PACAF for their first assignments - most of us, however, didn't. And I can tell you for sure that my second assignment was no where at all on my dream sheet. That's just how it works. JAX giveth and JAX taketh away. The needs of the Air Force always come first and you will be an extremely fungible new JAG.
Backload wrote: First assignment you will be in Maxwell for just over two months, and you will be figuring out your new job. It definitely depends on the base, but I don’t think certain overseas bases are that great for first assignment Captains. You want to be able to enjoy the overseas and not stuck learning the job.
Also a very valid consideration.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 16, 2018 10:16 am

Patrick Bateman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've been picked up for OYCP and was hoping I'd be able to get stationed somewhere in Europe after graduation.
There are folks that have been serving for years that are hoping to get stationed somewhere in USAFE. There are more bases, and more positions, CONUS - it is as simple as that. And then factor in that more people are going to request assignments to geographically desirable locations - you can't escape the math.
Anonymous User wrote:Even assuming my dream sheet consisted of all oversea bases?
:roll:

I'm sure the assignments officer at JAX might get a good chuckle at your attempt to hack the Kobayashi Maru for your first duty station, and then consider if you would be a good fit for Altus. Seriously - if folks could end up somewhere nice simply by only listing nice places on their dream sheet, you would have the entire JAG corps fighting for office space at Aviano and Hickam, while the Wing Commanders at Cannon and Minot were wondering why not one was picking up the phone at Legal.
Backload wrote: Eventually some first assignment Captain gets stationed at Ramstein. I wouldn’t bank on it as most put it on their dream sheet, but it’s a slight possibility.
At the end of the day, this is the answer. Feel free to ask but keep your expectations in check. Good friends from my JASOC class ended up in USAFE/PACAF for their first assignments - most of us, however, didn't. And I can tell you for sure that my second assignment was no where at all on my dream sheet. That's just how it works. JAX giveth and JAX taketh away. The needs of the Air Force always come first and you will be an extremely fungible new JAG.
Backload wrote: First assignment you will be in Maxwell for just over two months, and you will be figuring out your new job. It definitely depends on the base, but I don’t think certain overseas bases are that great for first assignment Captains. You want to be able to enjoy the overseas and not stuck learning the job.
Also a very valid consideration.
Original anon here. Thanks for the insight. I'd love some overseas base, but at the end of the day I'm committed to the AF and would gladly go wherever needed. But who doesn't have a preference? A man can dream. :lol:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”