Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thxrho

Re: Military Law

Postby thxrho » Sat May 13, 2017 4:36 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:Would it be feasible to do a 1L summer externship with Army or Marine Corps JAG, and then do OCI that fall if I find out that the JAG life is not for me?

Feasible, yes. But from what I read on this board, those 1L spots are hard to get.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun May 14, 2017 3:23 pm

Army SLRP Question:

Paraphrasing, but a payment of 33.33% of the loans up to $65,000 will be made each year. For the sake of simple math, assume you have $33,333 in student loans. The first payment of 33.33% will be $11,111. Will the next two payments also be $11,111 and thus pay off the entire original amount of $33,333? Or will they pay 33.33% of your new loan total each year, i.e. after the first payment, the new total would be $22,222 and thus the second payment would only be only ~$7,333 - leaving you with a new total of $14,889 - and then the third (and final) payment would be ~$4,913, leaving you with a remaining $9,976 which you're stuck with on your own. Thanks for any input!

usn26

Postby usn26 » Tue May 16, 2017 2:44 pm

thxrho wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:Would it be feasible to do a 1L summer externship with Army or Marine Corps JAG, and then do OCI that fall if I find out that the JAG life is not for me?

Feasible, yes. But from what I read on this board, those 1L spots are hard to get.

The Army internship program is only for 2L's, so 1L spots are impossible to get. *However,* you can try to arrange an unpaid "externship" for your 1L summer. If you're motivated and flexible on location that should be doable.

Marine JAG 1L internship sans military commitment is not an option.

The other three services have 1L summer options if you're willing to do JAG more generally.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue May 16, 2017 2:49 pm

thxrho wrote:

Navy internships are relatively easy to get as a 1L because they're unpaid. Army doesn't do 1L internships as usn mentioned. I think the Air Force ones are paid, so they might be more competitive.

1L JAG internship - 2L BigLaw SA is really the best bet if you're trying not to foreclose anything. If you don't get a JAG internship as a 1L though, you might have to make a tough choice for your 2L summer. JAG internships really increase your odds of selection at the board. At least for the Navy, when you do an internship, they do a "secret" evaluation on you that you never see, but it does go into your packet if you apply for a JAG commission. My understanding is that this evaluation receives a lot of weight at the board, the reason being that people are more honest about you when they know you won't see the evaluation. Contrast this with LORs, which everyone gets and are virtually always glowing.

lumberjack12

Postby lumberjack12 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:01 pm

Hi all, what is the best AF base for obtaining lots of trial experience? Or are there any bases I should try to avoid?

carsondalywashere

Postby carsondalywashere » Thu May 18, 2017 10:50 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
thxrho wrote:

Navy internships are relatively easy to get as a 1L because they're unpaid. Army doesn't do 1L internships as usn mentioned. I think the Air Force ones are paid, so they might be more competitive.

1L JAG internship - 2L BigLaw SA is really the best bet if you're trying not to foreclose anything. If you don't get a JAG internship as a 1L though, you might have to make a tough choice for your 2L summer. JAG internships really increase your odds of selection at the board. At least for the Navy, when you do an internship, they do a "secret" evaluation on you that you never see, but it does go into your packet if you apply for a JAG commission. My understanding is that this evaluation receives a lot of weight at the board, the reason being that people are more honest about you when they know you won't see the evaluation. Contrast this with LORs, which everyone gets and are virtually always glowing.

Awesome, thanks for the replies! Might as well shoot an app out when the time comes.

Patrick Bateman

Postby Patrick Bateman » Wed May 24, 2017 9:45 pm

lumberjack12 wrote:Hi all, what is the best AF base for obtaining lots of trial experience? Or are there any bases I should try to avoid?

Once again, read the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=31543&hilit=davis&start=4700

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 24, 2017 11:35 pm

Does anybody who is Army Reserve JAG know when we commission or report to our units? I haven't heard anything, and the people at JARO are pretty busy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 25, 2017 8:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anybody who is Army Reserve JAG know when we commission or report to our units? I haven't heard anything, and the people at JARO are pretty busy.

I'm in the same position. Haven't heard anything for quite some time and JARO hasn't gotten back to any of my calls/emails. My FSO told me not to worry and that if we received confirmation on all our items, we should be good to go. He said JARO is currently followign up with anyone missing anything and that we should be hearing something new in the next few weeks about commissioning and unit selection.

Return to “Legal Employment”