Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Re: Military Law

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Sat May 08, 2010 1:28 am

Drew82abndiv wrote:Rocky,

Just so you know, OCI interviews have absolutely NOTHING to do with the process. OCI interviews are completely informal and do not factor in at all. You need to start filling out the application online and you need to look for the JAGs who interview in your area (I did mine at the Groton, CT sub base).

Again, don't wait for OCI, it is pointless unless you are just wanting to get some basic information. I applied and was accepted in the October board of my 2L year.

Drew
I figured as much, I just knew that they come and do OCI for interviews as well. I thought that when they do OCI, they would do the interview then for the application process. Anyway, I was planning on doing the interview this summer on my own so that I could get the earliest August board and keep applying if I don't get it the first time. Did you do the August board too or just the October board?

Eagle

New

Post by Eagle » Sat May 08, 2010 1:53 am

Anyone know what the Army's requirements are to pass the physical? I'm 6'4" and weigh about 260. Given my frame and build, I consider myself about 20 pounds overweight. I'd like to know what kind of shape I need to get into just to pass the physical. This summer I plan to get back into athletic shape while studying for the bar.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Sat May 08, 2010 2:10 am

Eagle wrote:Anyone know what the Army's requirements are to pass the physical? I'm 6'4" and weigh about 260. Given my frame and build, I consider myself about 20 pounds overweight. I'd like to know what kind of shape I need to get into just to pass the physical. This summer I plan to get back into athletic shape while studying for the bar.

http://www.goarmy.com/life/fitness/body_composition.jsp

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Sat May 08, 2010 11:21 am

joemoviebuff wrote:
Eagle wrote:Anyone know what the Army's requirements are to pass the physical? I'm 6'4" and weigh about 260. Given my frame and build, I consider myself about 20 pounds overweight. I'd like to know what kind of shape I need to get into just to pass the physical. This summer I plan to get back into athletic shape while studying for the bar.

http://www.goarmy.com/life/fitness/body_composition.jsp
That is good for showing you what the weight limits are for the Army. But, Body Mass Index is a horrible way to judge your health/fitness/weight because it is very inaccurate especially for people who lift and have more muscle than the average joe. I hope the military still doesn't actually use BMI for weight standards. Body fat is the best way to judge how overweight you are and even there, the methods for judging that vary in accurateness. If you are considered "overweight" and they do a body fat test, I hope the military at least uses an accurate testing method.

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Sat May 08, 2010 11:57 am

If you're built athletically (small waist) you should have no trouble with the tape test. Given your size, the 2 mile run will probably be your biggest challenge. Have you tried a 2 mile run? Sometimes tall guys have trouble with pushups too since they tend to have very long arms. How many pushups can you do in 2 minutes? If you can do at least 25 with no training, you should be fine to work up to the minimum for your age group in time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Steve26

New

Post by Steve26 » Sat May 08, 2010 12:08 pm

Does anyone have an experience with the Army's alternate list? After applying for the March boards, I was placed on the alternate list. Anyone know how many people they typically take off the alternate list? When they start offering spots to those on the alternate list? How they contact alternates? Basically, I would be interested in any information that anyone has about being selected as an alternate for Army JAG.

Eagle

New

Post by Eagle » Sat May 08, 2010 1:53 pm

Steve26 wrote:Does anyone have an experience with the Army's alternate list? After applying for the March boards, I was placed on the alternate list. Anyone know how many people they typically take off the alternate list? When they start offering spots to those on the alternate list? How they contact alternates? Basically, I would be interested in any information that anyone has about being selected as an alternate for Army JAG.
I don't know about odds, but I can think of a few instances when they would pull people off of the alternate list: 1) after May 11th--this is the deadline for those accepted to make up their minds. If fewer people accept than anticipated, the Army might start pulling people from the alternate list; 2) after people fail the physical and background checks; 3) after people fail the bar.

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Sat May 08, 2010 2:24 pm

Can someone offer anything on Navy JAG?

Also, how is Navy JAG different than Army JAG?

I'm really interested in being a Navy JAG. Let's say I'm 75% sure I'd signed up after the first year of law school (assuming all goes well).

Eagle

New

Post by Eagle » Sat May 08, 2010 2:32 pm

Cole S. Law wrote:
If you're built athletically (small waist) you should have no trouble with the tape test. Given your size, the 2 mile run will probably be your biggest challenge. Have you tried a 2 mile run? Sometimes tall guys have trouble with pushups too since they tend to have very long arms. How many pushups can you do in 2 minutes? If you can do at least 25 with no training, you should be fine to work up to the minimum for your age group in time.
Thanks. I don't know about the two mile run, but I can definitely do 25 pushups in two minutes without having trained in a while.

The weight calculator says my weight should be 225lbs. Is that the weight I need to be at in order to pass the physical? If so, I've got a lot of work to do.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Sat May 08, 2010 2:41 pm

Eagle wrote:
Cole S. Law wrote:
Thanks. I don't know about the two mile run, but I can definitely do 25 pushups in two minutes without having trained in a while.

The weight calculator says my weight should be 225lbs. Is that the weight I need to be at in order to pass the physical? If so, I've got a lot of work to do.
Here's some useful info on how to figure out what body type you are, so that losing weight and getting in shape are easier:

--LinkRemoved--

Eagle

New

Post by Eagle » Sat May 08, 2010 2:49 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote:Can someone offer anything on Navy JAG?

Also, how is Navy JAG different than Army JAG?

I'm really interested in being a Navy JAG. Let's say I'm 75% sure I'd signed up after the first year of law school (assuming all goes well).
First off, getting into Navy JAG involves a lot more than just signing up. You have to be selected and right now it looks like the selection rate is under 5%. Read through the posts on this forum and check out Navy JAG's website/facebook page to get a better feel for the program. There are also student programs that might interest you and would probably help your odds of being selected for a commission after you graduate.

Here are some big differences between Army and Navy that I can think of:

1) Navy JAG is smaller than Army JAG
2) Navy generally has better base locations (i.e. closer to the coasts)
3) Navy JAG attorneys have more control over whether they deploy
4) Army JAG has a loan forgiveness program in the amount of 65K, which Navy JAG currently does not have
5) Army JAG has tougher physical requirements

Eagle

New

Post by Eagle » Sat May 08, 2010 2:51 pm

SwollenMonkey wrote: Here's some useful info on how to figure out what body type you are, so that losing weight and getting in shape are easier:

--LinkRemoved--
Thanks.

brownshoe

New

Post by brownshoe » Sat May 08, 2010 3:24 pm

Give me specific questions, and I'll answer them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SwollenMonkey

Silver

Post by SwollenMonkey » Sat May 08, 2010 3:57 pm

brownshoe wrote:
Give me specific questions, and I'll answer them.
I don't have anything specific at the moment. Will post once I get questions. Thank you.

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Sat May 08, 2010 5:50 pm

Eagle wrote:
Cole S. Law wrote:

The Army uses a ratio of neck to waist to determine bodyfat if you're over the set limit. This is to prevent Vin Diesel types from being chaptered for being too "fat". If you have a relatively small waist, you'll pass. There are calculators on the web to see if you'll pass. armystudyguide.com has one I think.

Eagle

New

Post by Eagle » Sat May 08, 2010 7:34 pm

Thanks. Here's a link to an MS excel calculator: http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/u ... nten.shtml. The body fat test seems pretty generous.

Drew82abndiv

Bronze

Post by Drew82abndiv » Sat May 08, 2010 7:55 pm

Rocky,

I didn't apply to the Navy's August board, only October...by the grace of God I got accepted that time but I do hear that even if you don't get picked on the first time around, they look favorably on people who continue to apply (it shows dedication).

Good luck and if you have any questions on the process as you go along please PM me as I often go for weeks w/o checking this especially around finals time!

Drew

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

People's Eyebrow

New

Post by People's Eyebrow » Sun May 09, 2010 12:25 am

Is it possible to clerk and do JAG?
I wanted to know how likely one may defer a JAG acceptance for a clerkship?

Or, how likely is it that JAG alums obtain a clerkship immediately after completing the 4 year commitment?

On a side note--do JAGs need to know how to swim? On the Fitness test it states that a Running can be done instead of a swim

blawblawblaw

New

Post by blawblawblaw » Sun May 09, 2010 1:15 am

Huge thanks to everyone who has helped out in this thread so far... it has been more than helpful. For anyone who has gone through the Air Force GLP (or a similar program like the OYCP or the Navy/Army's ROTC program) what could I expect my schedule to be like on any given week during school? I'm having a hard time finding information on how many classes I could expect to take on top of my regular law school schedule and what kind of PT schedule I'd be looking at. Thanks again for the help!

nickc321

New

Post by nickc321 » Sun May 09, 2010 2:51 pm

Steve26 wrote:Does anyone have an experience with the Army's alternate list? After applying for the March boards, I was placed on the alternate list. Anyone know how many people they typically take off the alternate list? When they start offering spots to those on the alternate list? How they contact alternates? Basically, I would be interested in any information that anyone has about being selected as an alternate for Army JAG.
I was placed on the Army's alternate list for the last November board. In late Jan. they asked me if I still wanted to be considered and told me around mid-Feb. that I was not selected off of the alternate list. However, I was offered a commission as a reserve officer if I was interested. I think they took around 4-5 alternates. Everything was done via e-mail and I'm not sure what method they used to select alternates. Hope this helps.

Eagle

New

Post by Eagle » Sun May 09, 2010 5:48 pm

I just declared my intent to accept a commission with the Army and contacted the Navy to remove my name from the alternate list. Hope that helps some of you who are on the Navy's alternate list...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TonyDigital

Bronze

Post by TonyDigital » Mon May 10, 2010 3:23 pm

I'm doing research on AF and Navy JAG and noticed the AF posts they have a force of 1300 JAGs but the Navy only has 750. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Navy a lot bigger than the AF, manpower-wise?

And to the people that applied to multiple branches: how do you rank the different branches as far as selectivity?

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere ITT before but this thread is a monster now so I figured I'd just ask...

Eagle

New

Post by Eagle » Mon May 10, 2010 3:38 pm

TonyDigital wrote:I'm doing research on AF and Navy JAG and noticed the AF posts they have a force of 1300 JAGs but the Navy only has 750. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Navy a lot bigger than the AF, manpower-wise?

And to the people that applied to multiple branches: how do you rank the different branches as far as selectivity?

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere ITT before but this thread is a monster now so I figured I'd just ask...
This article from last year should answer most of your questions: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... slreturn=1

TonyDigital

Bronze

Post by TonyDigital » Mon May 10, 2010 3:51 pm

Thanks Eagle. That article was a pretty good read, I'm thinking I will apply to both the Navy and AF and see what happens. I was pretty surprised to see last year the Navy only accepted 8% of applicants. That's rough.

Does anyone know if prior military service is a bump in one's application or is it something that is just glanced over?

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Tue May 11, 2010 12:30 am

TonyDigital wrote:Thanks Eagle. That article was a pretty good read, I'm thinking I will apply to both the Navy and AF and see what happens. I was pretty surprised to see last year the Navy only accepted 8% of applicants. That's rough.

Does anyone know if prior military service is a bump in one's application or is it something that is just glanced over?
The last AF Direct Appointment board selected 15-20 out of nearly 400.

At least in regard to the AF, strong prior service can be a considerable bump. If you have near firewall 5 EPRs, no derog paperwork, etc, you will have an advantage.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”