Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
SocalPizza

New

Re: Military Law

Post by SocalPizza » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:49 am

Kobe_Teeth wrote:Anyone think JAG apps will be down this year as people begin to perceive progress in the economy? (regardless of whether its true)
No.

EDIT: It's also time to update your avatar. 5 rings.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:49 pm

SocalPizza wrote:
Kobe_Teeth wrote:Anyone think JAG apps will be down this year as people begin to perceive progress in the economy? (regardless of whether its true)
No.

Whoa. Zing. You got me there... :roll:

jessedvhs

Bronze

Post by jessedvhs » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:59 pm

Kilotango wrote:Hahaha believe it or not... I've experienced some of that. Granted it was only 2 weeks. I was in the NROTC here in college, till I found out that you can't go to law school through ROTC and dropped out. We had our "indoc" weeks in VA Beach... Hottest place in the world to me. Highlight of the week had to be waking up at 0430 to the sound of yelling, doing PT and calisthenics then trying to fit 8 guys into a shower with 3 shower heads. Worst part was... we were pretty sure these two kids were a little... different. They always managed to end up in my showering group too... Sucked.

Want to know the weirdest part of all? I miss being yelled at, doing O-Course stuff with a drill sergeant breathing down my back and 3 mile runs to the beach. It's part of the reason why I might go Army JAG. Not sure though. Going through Airborne school and possibly Ranger school... Sounds amazing.

Earn the tab.

SocalPizza

New

Post by SocalPizza » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:40 pm

Kobe_Teeth wrote:
SocalPizza wrote:
No.

Whoa. Zing. You got me there... :roll:
No zings intended. Although you may want to hold off on updating that avatar. Otherwise you'll have to change it again in June.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

umassalpha

New

Post by umassalpha » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:47 pm

Anyone else submitting (or already submitted) their Army App this weekend? I'm a second-time-around-er, just tweaking my personal statement!

Rocktober2007

Bronze

Post by Rocktober2007 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:53 pm

umassalpha wrote:Anyone else submitting (or already submitted) their Army App this weekend? I'm a second-time-around-er, just tweaking my personal statement!

I'm going to submit tonight or tomorrow, just need to give my application one more look over. I'm also a second-time-around-er. Hopefully we're luckier this time!

When do you think we'll hear? Looking back through this thread, people heard back on Friday April 2nd last year. That's a really quick turnaround. I hope it's the same this year. The 2+ month wait for the November board killed me.

umassalpha

New

Post by umassalpha » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:27 pm

jess8328 wrote:
umassalpha wrote:Anyone else submitting (or already submitted) their Army App this weekend? I'm a second-time-around-er, just tweaking my personal statement!

I'm going to submit tonight or tomorrow, just need to give my application one more look over. I'm also a second-time-around-er. Hopefully we're luckier this time!

When do you think we'll hear? Looking back through this thread, people heard back on Friday April 2nd last year. That's a really quick turnaround. I hope it's the same this year. The 2+ month wait for the November board killed me.
No idea really, I've just been telling people I'll probably know in May just to be safe! Did you rewrite your personal statement. I've been hashing out if I should rewrite or edit severely.

Rocktober2007

Bronze

Post by Rocktober2007 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:02 pm

umassalpha wrote: No idea really, I've just been telling people I'll probably know in May just to be safe! Did you rewrite your personal statement. I've been hashing out if I should rewrite or edit severely.
I ended up keeping it mostly the same, just tweaked a couple sentences here and there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Esquire

Bronze

Post by Esquire » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:11 pm

Best of luck to you guys.

Anyone still here who was selected on a board prior to Army Fall 2010? I'm wondering what the timeline is like. Please PM me if you'd rather not post. Perhaps any other branch would have insight as well, since it's all just being commissioned.

Received letter asking for intent
Filled out letter of intent, sent it back
Name currently being scrolled by Congress

Now what? And how long? What about the medical stuff? Security stuff?

JAGQUEST

New

Alternates and the scrolling process

Post by JAGQUEST » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:47 pm

Have any people, who were selected as Alternates, this last accession board been called or emailed with an indication that you are "currently being scrolled to congress"? I am not sure what this means...or if all alternates have been included in this process.

any insight provided is much appreciated.

Rocktober2007

Bronze

Post by Rocktober2007 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:15 pm

Just submitted the Army Active Duty application. *crosses fingers* Good luck everyone!

umassalpha

New

Post by umassalpha » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:09 pm

Good luck Jess! Submitting mine this weekend. Another 8 weeks of waiting (or more) is beholden to us.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:12 pm

Every time this thread pops up in my "view your posts" [Military Law], I keep hoping we're talking about military history. Anyone read MHQ, out there?

ashkenazy

New

Post by ashkenazy » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:30 pm

Just got the call. I'm in at GLP! (The 2-year AF ROTC track).

Thank you to everyone who has added valuable information to this forum! Your help was truly invaluable.

Best wishes to all other applicants!
Last edited by ashkenazy on Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hasmith

Bronze

Post by hasmith » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:41 pm

ashkenazy wrote:Just got the call. I'm in at GLP! (The 2-year AF ROTC track).

Thank you to everyone who has added valuable information to this forum! Your help has truly invaluable.

Best wishes to all other applicants!
Congrats.

Rocktober2007

Bronze

Post by Rocktober2007 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:48 pm

umassalpha wrote:Good luck Jess! Submitting mine this weekend. Another 8 weeks of waiting (or more) is beholden to us.
I'm counting on finding out in early April like last year. I'm predicting that April 2nd will be the day.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mrh769

New

Post by mrh769 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:53 pm

see below
Last edited by mrh769 on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

umassalpha

New

Post by umassalpha » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:07 pm

Anddddddddddddddddd army jag app submitted.

mrh769

New

Post by mrh769 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:06 pm

Hi everyone!

My husband is very interested in JAG Corps, and has already applied & been interviewed for the Navy. Being a practicing attorney, he doesn't have a lot time to do too much research so I've been helping him out. I'm very new to this forum and have a few questions. I apologize if these have been answered already, as this is a very long forum:

1. What is the main type of work that the Air Force does, and how does it compare to the Navy?

2. Does anyone know the approximate time that the Navy board expects to meet, and if there is any way of finding out in the next few weeks?

3. Regarding the new Navy interviews, are the interviewers part of the selection board or do they just report to the selection board?

4. Any other information or advice?

Thanks so much in advance for all of your time and answers. I've been searching for a while on various forums and sites, and I'm having trouble finding first hand information!

Rocktober2007

Bronze

Post by Rocktober2007 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:09 pm

umassalpha wrote:Anddddddddddddddddd army jag app submitted.
Good luck!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hasmith

Bronze

Post by hasmith » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:51 pm

mrh769 wrote:Hi everyone!

My husband is very interested in JAG Corps, and has already applied & been interviewed for the Navy. Being a practicing attorney, he doesn't have a lot time to do too much research so I've been helping him out. I'm very new to this forum and have a few questions. I apologize if these have been answered already, as this is a very long forum:

1. What is the main type of work that the Air Force does, and how does it compare to the Navy?

2. Does anyone know the approximate time that the Navy board expects to meet, and if there is any way of finding out in the next few weeks?

3. Regarding the new Navy interviews, are the interviewers part of the selection board or do they just report to the selection board?

I was selected for the Navy JAG corps, but in the student program, not the direct appointment program which your husband would be applying to.

The interviewers are not members of the selection board.

Regarding the timing of the boards, if you check out the Navy JAG site http://www.jag.navy.mil and follow the link to careers, there is contact information for the detailers. They can provide the information on the board meetings. The student program board meets twice a year, but there may be only one direct appointment board.

The direct appointment program is more competitive than the student program. It is important to get across why the applicant wants JAG, and emphasize that it is not a fall back option.

Overall, the advice I would give is to try to find something to set you apart. Unlike big firm jobs there is no magical formula for success.

mrh769

New

Post by mrh769 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:21 pm

hasmith wrote:
mrh769 wrote:Hi everyone!

I was selected for the Navy JAG corps, but in the student program, not the direct appointment program which your husband would be applying to.

The interviewers are not members of the selection board.

Regarding the timing of the boards, if you check out the Navy JAG site http://www.jag.navy.mil and follow the link to careers, there is contact information for the detailers. They can provide the information on the board meetings. The student program board meets twice a year, but there may be only one direct appointment board.

The direct appointment program is more competitive than the student program. It is important to get across why the applicant wants JAG, and emphasize that it is not a fall back option.

Overall, the advice I would give is to try to find something to set you apart. Unlike big firm jobs there is no magical formula for success.
Thanks so much for the information and reply! It's definitely not a fall back option, as he wants to do this as a career. So we'd be in for the long haul. I'm hoping that the fact that he currently practicing, and not unemployed just trying to get any job, will help. He also has prior military experience (army), so hopefully that will help as well. He felt as though his interview went very well, so it's just a waiting game at this point.

So, based on what you said...do you know if the Direct Appointment board is a whole different group of people?

Also, any idea on what makes the Air Force different, as far as work is concerned? At this point, there is not a high interest there, but just thought I'd ask.

Thanks again!

Bowl

New

Post by Bowl » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:32 am

The main differences focus on the practice areas. The Navy's civilian side practices the civilian areas of law (Environmental, Labor, Medical, etc.) while this is done by both Air Force civilians and military officers. Both practice criminal and operational law. Other than promotion differences (Navy starts as O-2 and are promoted to O-3 a year after their first day at Basic Lawyer Course, Air Force promotes to O-3 after 6 months) the other big difference is the Student Loan Repayment Program. Air Force has it and Navy does not. Navy also deploys at sea and the Middle East while the Air Force is mainly over in the Middle East. Best thing to do is to call the Navy's and Air Force's recruiters to have them explain the differences.

Good luck.

SocalPizza

New

Post by SocalPizza » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:11 am

Bombs away on the Army board. I'm hoping for results closer to 4 weeks, rather than 8. This is my first time applying for Active Duty, are results posted online first, the same way they were for the internships?
Last edited by SocalPizza on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”