Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
eas1423

New

Re: Military Law

Post by eas1423 » Thu May 02, 2013 1:11 pm

Second rejection from Navy. Leeeet's go AF DAP in the fall!! It's all I ever wanted!!

LazinessPerSe

Bronze

Post by LazinessPerSe » Thu May 02, 2013 2:22 pm

eas1423 wrote:Second rejection from Navy. Leeeet's go AF DAP in the fall!! It's all I ever wanted!!
Keep at it, brother. Persistence should pay off.

joshlyman

New

Post by joshlyman » Thu May 02, 2013 4:29 pm

I hate this game. Its cycle 3 for me and I'd all but given up but again, people have been dinged, and mine still says pending. Mind games.

travellingboarder

New

Post by travellingboarder » Thu May 02, 2013 5:26 pm

My 3rd go around too...still pending. Lets see what happens. I have law school and the bar in the rearview mirror now (waiting on bar results). This was the last time I can apply as a student...

boardercms

New

Post by boardercms » Thu May 02, 2013 6:11 pm

I am still pending as well. :!:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Thu May 02, 2013 6:34 pm

Can't possibly mean we all got in... :oops:

LazinessPerSe

Bronze

Post by LazinessPerSe » Thu May 02, 2013 8:58 pm

Just seems odd that some results are out but not all. Hopefully we all find out soon.

Brook2013

New

Post by Brook2013 » Thu May 02, 2013 9:09 pm

Mine still says pending. But I know I'm not going to get it because one my recommenders never sent their letter of rec. Which was very disappointing, but what can you do? Mistakes happen. This was my last chance to apply as a student.

DannyBoy31

New

Post by DannyBoy31 » Thu May 02, 2013 9:11 pm

I'm curious to see how this plays out. Please keep us posted. FYI my last name starts with a "K", but I don't think we have enough information at this point to draw any conclusions on how the process works. Good luck to those still waiting. I can't imagine how many times you've checked for updates today.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Brook2013

New

Post by Brook2013 » Thu May 02, 2013 9:22 pm

My last name starts with M. Which might make sense if they haven't gotten through all the Ks yet

boardercms

New

Post by boardercms » Thu May 02, 2013 9:28 pm

My last name starts with S and I am still pending as well. Another idea - It could also be that they post results in batches filtered either by result (rejects/alternates/accepts). Or they could post in order received/reviewed. Either way it would be nice to figure it out if nothing else for future applicants.

mlittle5

New

Post by mlittle5 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:56 am

Looks like the alphabetical theory was correct. I'm an "L," and I just got my ding. Here's to round 3 this fall!

GoinforJAG

New

Post by GoinforJAG » Fri May 03, 2013 9:13 am

PR'd! Second try. Don't think it was the alphabetical thing because my last name starts earlier than K, but it's possible...

Reading through this forum helped me immensely and I just want to say thanks to everyone who keeps it updated.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

joshlyman

New

Post by joshlyman » Fri May 03, 2013 9:31 am

Alphabetical is probably right for the rejections at least. Im an "L" and just got dinged too. 0/3. It was fun while it lasted!

ceniele

New

Post by ceniele » Fri May 03, 2013 9:51 am

PR'd wow! For those keeping track, second try. Last name at the very end of the alphabet.

travellingboarder

New

Post by travellingboarder » Fri May 03, 2013 10:15 am

No on my 3rd and last time for the Navy...Looks like I'm off to India to fight human trafficking for a year. Will apply to Army in November too

USNjaghopeful

New

Post by USNjaghopeful » Fri May 03, 2013 12:02 pm

PR'd as an alternate. First timer, Direct Appointment. :D Anyone know what happens now in terms of alternate lists??

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Fed_Atty

Bronze

Post by Fed_Atty » Fri May 03, 2013 12:10 pm

USNjaghopeful wrote:PR'd as an alternate. First timer, Direct Appointment. :D Anyone know what happens now in terms of alternate lists??
First, they will likely contact all those selected and ask if they are interested in pursuing a commission. It will likely take a few months for the entire commissioning process. So, you could get in quite quickly if those offered a commission decline it, but likely you will have to wait a few months and see if anyone is not eligible for a commission.

Congrats on Direct Appointment - I think this is the hardest way to get into the JAG Corps. They typically take only a couple people each board and they are looking for very specific traits.

Ranger85

New

Post by Ranger85 » Fri May 03, 2013 1:35 pm

Pdk7 wrote:Did anybody for Army use a PHA instead of going through the DODMERB process? If so did you just email your DD2766 and questionnaire? Also, do we have to be 100% green as far as medical readiness (i.e. no missing vaccinations, have all required glasses/inserts, etc.) goes or is the PHA good enough? I'm going to email them on Monday but I figure I'd see if any of you know the answer.

Did you ever get an answer to this? My best guess would be no. I have taken both and a DODMERB is way more intensive than a standard PHA. DODMERB usually does things like blood work, colorblind check and you spend more time with an MD or PA actually being examined. A PHA is usually a questionnaire with a MD/PA, quick dental check, vision check, hearing test, HT.WT, Vaccines, and blood pressure. Also pretty sure everything in the DODMERB is by regulation so if one thing is left out it wouldn't count. You could maybe bring your DODMERB packet with you if you are about to have a PHA but I would probably just go where they tell you.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Fri May 03, 2013 2:43 pm

Question for you Navy JAGC folks - I've heard some rumors floating around that the JAGC is changing the assignment structure for you all for the first four year hitch. If I read it correctly, it seemed like there would be little to no oppurtunity to serve as a trial or trial defense counsel out of the gate.

-PB

Fed_Atty

Bronze

Post by Fed_Atty » Fri May 03, 2013 4:25 pm

Patrick Bateman wrote:Question for you Navy JAGC folks - I've heard some rumors floating around that the JAGC is changing the assignment structure for you all for the first four year hitch. If I read it correctly, it seemed like there would be little to no oppurtunity to serve as a trial or trial defense counsel out of the gate.

-PB
Close. It is actually just the first tour (typically between 24-36 months) that is set. The plan is that all new Judge Advocates rotate through the various practice areas (SJA, Legal Assistance, Trial and finally Defense), spending about 6 months in each of the areas. On the Defense side, you cannot form an attorney client relationship, this is to avoid conflicts of interest. On the Trial side you can do more substantive work, but probably cannot serve as an Assistant Trial Counsel. The idea is that all second tour attorneys are prepared for almost any job.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Fri May 03, 2013 4:45 pm

NavyJAG1 wrote:
Patrick Bateman wrote:Question for you Navy JAGC folks - I've heard some rumors floating around that the JAGC is changing the assignment structure for you all for the first four year hitch. If I read it correctly, it seemed like there would be little to no oppurtunity to serve as a trial or trial defense counsel out of the gate.

-PB
Close. It is actually just the first tour (typically between 24-36 months) that is set. The plan is that all new Judge Advocates rotate through the various practice areas (SJA, Legal Assistance, Trial and finally Defense), spending about 6 months in each of the areas. On the Defense side, you cannot form an attorney client relationship, this is to avoid conflicts of interest. On the Trial side you can do more substantive work, but probably cannot serve as an Assistant Trial Counsel. The idea is that all second tour attorneys are prepared for almost any job.
Is the attrition rate really that low that they can spend up to three years in OJT status before being fleet ready?

Force Majeure

New

Post by Force Majeure » Fri May 03, 2013 4:47 pm

How did the people applying to the Navy Jag SP submit their letters of recommendation? The only instructions on the actual online application state, "Letters of recommendation (minimum of three). Letters should be addressed to the "President of the JAGC Accessions Board"." On the Navy JAG careers site, however, there is a "Letters of Recommendation Form (DD370), located at --LinkRemoved--, for reference.

Are we supposed to submit both the filled out DD370 and a separate letter of recommendation addressed to the President of the JAGC Accessions Board per recommender? I'm a little confused....

P.S.

I'm not sure if this question has already been asked before somewhere in this rather extensive discussion, lol.

chicubs88

New

Post by chicubs88 » Fri May 03, 2013 5:58 pm

With summer approaching I just thought that I would post that if any Marine JAGs have questions about what to expect/how to prepare for OCS, feel free to post here or PM me.

ket310

New

Post by ket310 » Fri May 03, 2013 6:04 pm

J-Rod wrote:Ok, that's cool then.

I am just now trying to figure out which branch I'd consider working for. Army seems like it's probably the easiest to get into as a 1L. They take 75 2L's and 25 1L's.

I worked a summer during UG with a huge powerhouse firm in Chicago, so I got a taste of what the corporate world was like. I've considered JAG before, but never this heavily. I like the idea of serving my country, traveling, getting good experience, and being saluted! haha

You don't happen to know where I can find some statistics as to how many applications are received each year do you?
Just to give you an idea of being saluted, most officers hate it so much... You'll know when you enter the service. (I'm currently in service, as enlisted. I'm considering coming back to service after law school)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”