Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Anonymous User

Re: Military Law

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:10 am

Has anyone here received their assignment for the AF JAG summer internship/externship?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone here received their assignment for the AF JAG summer internship/externship?
No, I was just going to ask about this. I haven't heard anything about start dates/supervisors/assignment/etc. Is this typical?

heyarnold

New

Post by heyarnold » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:15 pm

If anybody in this thread will be going to LEAD (Field Training) for AFROTC via the OYCP program, please feel free to PM me and perhaps exchange emails. It would be great to have someone to communicate and prepare with for something that I'm just going to be thrown right into! I feel like I have so much to learn in just two months : /

livefromannarbor

Bronze

Post by livefromannarbor » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone here received their assignment for the AF JAG summer internship/externship?
No, I was just going to ask about this. I haven't heard anything about start dates/supervisors/assignment/etc. Is this typical?
I had a bit of a unique assignment situation last summer so I can't confirm when people usually hear about placement, but last summer the supervisors weren't required to start reaching out to coordinate with the externs until after 1 May. I wouldn't be surprised if the same were true this year. If you have questions or want to start looking for housing or something, you can always reach out to Capt Hooper to ask about the status of your placement. She's great.

aka123

New

Post by aka123 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:17 pm

Could someone confirm is OPAT needs to be completed before the June 1 medical deadline or if it can be completed anytime before DCC? On the Medical FAQ, the last line says something about how the next official email will be about OPAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:09 pm

When did you get an email? I haven't received anything from JARO since the conference call.

For your question, OPAT is separate from medical and not urgent at this time. Just contact your local Army recruiting office to get it done.

Maples24

New

Post by Maples24 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When did you get an email? I haven't received anything from JARO since the conference call.

For your question, OPAT is separate from medical and not urgent at this time. Just contact your local Army recruiting office to get it done.
There is an update on the JARO Selected JA's page. For the October course, the deadline is 15 June.

aka123

New

Post by aka123 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When did you get an email? I haven't received anything from JARO since the conference call.

Thanks for confirming! No emails either since that first round of conference calls. I have just been checking the Accepted page every few days for updates. I'm not likely to go in till May 2018 so I'm definitely not high on anyone's list.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:52 pm

On the DODMERB medical worksheet that we're supposed to submit, where the instruction says to enter cycle year 2015, is that just a typo that hasn't been updated since last year?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:59 pm

heyarnold wrote:Hello, Everyone!

Future AF JAG here - through the OYCP program. My goal is to have the option to be able to apply competitively for a USAO position after five years as a commissioned JAG. I am very worried, however, that the Air Force does not provide as many trial opportunities as, say, the Marines or the Army where there are inarguably more trials.

I know this question is hard to answer, but does Air Force JAG - relative to other branches - provide a lesser oppurtunity to be competitive for DOJ positions further down the road? My goal is to eventually be competitive for a DOJ main office position or big-city USAO position. Am I giving too much credit to how valuable actual trial work is to these offices? Or will I be in decent shape no matter what after my 4-5 years?

To Any AF Jags who have lateraled into high-level fed gov trial, please let me know what I can do to maximize my chances to land a position at DOJ main office, comparable federal agency, or big office USAO.
Search the thread young Padawan:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4#p8143154

aka123

New

Post by aka123 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:On the DODMERB medical worksheet that we're supposed to submit, where the instruction says to enter cycle year 2015, is that just a typo that hasn't been updated since last year?
I think so but I just put down 2015.

Also, new email from CPT Tisdale just went out around 4pmET. Updated Accepted website with new deadlines!

skylaws

New

Post by skylaws » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:26 am

heyarnold wrote:Hello, Everyone!

Future AF JAG here - through the OYCP program. My goal is to have the option to be able to apply competitively for a USAO position after five years as a commissioned JAG. I am very worried, however, that the Air Force does not provide as many trial opportunities as, say, the Marines or the Army where there are inarguably more trials.

I know this question is hard to answer, but does Air Force JAG - relative to other branches - provide a lesser oppurtunity to be competitive for DOJ positions further down the road? My goal is to eventually be competitive for a DOJ main office position or big-city USAO position. Am I giving too much credit to how valuable actual trial work is to these offices? Or will I be in decent shape no matter what after my 4-5 years?

To Any AF Jags who have lateraled into high-level fed gov trial, please let me know what I can do to maximize my chances to land a position at DOJ main office, comparable federal agency, or big office USAO.
If you get sent to the right base, you will have plenty of trial opportunities with the AF. If you don't get sent to a base with much justice work, just let your leadership know you're interested in getting trial experience - they might be able to farm you out to do trials at some other base with a big caseload who wouldn't mind the help.

Feel free to PM me if you have any OYCP questions, it's the program I went through as well.

revoltbydesign

New

Post by revoltbydesign » Wed May 03, 2017 11:38 am

Is the graduate program a guaranteed program? If you go into the law school then meet the qualifications they make room for you or are there only so many slots.

also how difficult is it to get a wavier, for medical and age. I will be 31 when I start law school and I want to be in JAG. I would be 34 when I graduate and about to be 35. How likely are waviers.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 03, 2017 2:42 pm

revoltbydesign wrote:Is the graduate program a guaranteed program? If you go into the law school then meet the qualifications they make room for you or are there only so many slots.

also how difficult is it to get a wavier, for medical and age. I will be 31 when I start law school and I want to be in JAG. I would be 34 when I graduate and about to be 35. How likely are waviers.
I can't speak for waivers but no, the GLP is not a guaranteed program. Although the GLP and the OYCP allegedly have higher acceptance rates than the DAP, there are still a very limited number of spots that you are competing for.

Also, different branches have different age cut offs. Air Force wants you to be commissioned before you're 35 but for Navy, I believe it is 42.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Wed May 03, 2017 2:54 pm

revoltbydesign wrote:Is the graduate program a guaranteed program? If you go into the law school then meet the qualifications they make room for you or are there only so many slots.
The nature of this question suggests you may looking into JAG service for the first time - you would be well served to read through the thread, as long as it is, to educate yourself before posting questions. Much like a FAQ on a sub-Reddit or a website, you will pick up answers to questions you didn't know you have.

And to add on to the answer from the Anon poster above, any JAG selection program for all of the services is going to be incredibly competitive. This is not a club team where you can just be a walk-on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 03, 2017 9:51 pm

Have any Army reservists selected this past December get the all clear from HRC Surgeon General yet? I had them request some info a few weeks ago, but haven't heard any word on anything since.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 03, 2017 10:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have any Army reservists selected this past December get the all clear from HRC Surgeon General yet? I had them request some info a few weeks ago, but haven't heard any word on anything since.
I'm a reservist selected in December. Some of our peers got the O.K., but I am still waiting as well. Any idea on if we are cleared when we get assigned to our units?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CaseClosed

New

Post by CaseClosed » Thu May 04, 2017 9:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Have any Army reservists selected this past December get the all clear from HRC Surgeon General yet? I had them request some info a few weeks ago, but haven't heard any word on anything since.
I just got asked to submit a waiver packet and was told HRC SG had looked at my file.

Kelaw364

New

Post by Kelaw364 » Thu May 04, 2017 5:45 pm

Does anyone have a timeline of when we will hear about the results from the april DAP board for the Air Force?

MarkfromWI

Bronze

Post by MarkfromWI » Thu May 04, 2017 8:31 pm

Kelaw364 wrote:Does anyone have a timeline of when we will hear about the results from the april DAP board for the Air Force?
Based on the postings in this forum, the results have been released in the first or second week of May for the last three years. On April 12 someone asked on the JAX Facebook page when the results would be announced; they responded "in 30-60 days." Note, they didn't say when that 30-60 days started, i.e. whether it was from April 12 when they responded, April 1 when the board was to meet, etc. Someone asked the same question on Tuesday (5/2) on the FB page and the response was the same-- 30-60 days. Again, no mention of when that clock starts.

So, to answer your question, no, no one has a timeline :-/

Kelaw364

New

Post by Kelaw364 » Thu May 04, 2017 8:46 pm

Ok thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kelaw364

New

Post by Kelaw364 » Mon May 08, 2017 10:38 am

Calls are going out! I just got the call this morning!

floridasun

New

Post by floridasun » Mon May 08, 2017 11:24 am

Kelaw364 wrote:Calls are going out! I just got the call this morning!
From the Air Force Jag? is that how we get the notification if we were selected? Also, what was the convo like?

CaseClosed

New

Post by CaseClosed » Mon May 08, 2017 12:29 pm

floridasun wrote:
Kelaw364 wrote:Calls are going out! I just got the call this morning!
From the Air Force Jag? is that how we get the notification if we were selected? Also, what was the convo like?
I didn't get a call or an email. Apparently those accepted get a call and those rejected get an email per the Air Force Jag fb page.

MarkfromWI

Bronze

Post by MarkfromWI » Mon May 08, 2017 2:07 pm

Last edited by MarkfromWI on Sun May 28, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”