Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
thedude6512

New

Re: Military Law

Post by thedude6512 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:02 pm

Kivan wrote:
keong678 wrote:Good afternoon guys!

I applied as a Army JAG Intern for the summer and was put on the alternate list. I was just notified if I would be interested in serving as an EXTERN within the JAG CORPS. Has anyone done this? If yes, could you share some experiences with me??

Thank you!!!

Yeah, I think this year's Externship is based in Kandahar
Haha, that's evil, man.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:42 pm

bsktbll28082 wrote:
keong678 wrote:Good afternoon guys!

I applied as a Army JAG Intern for the summer and was put on the alternate list. I was just notified if I would be interested in serving as an EXTERN within the JAG CORPS. Has anyone done this? If yes, could you share some experiences with me??

Thank you!!!
I know someone who did this (they were selected for active). You are not paid, but it still looks good when you apply for AD. You'll get an 'extern evaluation' at the end which you can add to your AD application. Also, get LORs from your supervisors. You might be able to get a public interest stipend from your school.
I know someone who did this, too. If you're doing this far from home, then just be ready to foot a lot of the housing and eating expenses yourself unfortunately. You can try and make quick friends with a fellow friendly JAG officer and couch it at their place.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:24 pm

I'm spending my 2L summer working for a large legal office in a branch that's not Army.

1) What are some of the things I can do during the summer that would increase my likelihood of being professionally recommended?
2) For those of you have have worked with summer legal interns in the past, what are the big no-nos?
3) Past interns, what did your day to day look like?

edit> follow up, were your offices suit and tie, or nice dress shirt and slacks?

Kivan

New

Post by Kivan » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:02 am

twenty wrote:I'm spending my 2L summer working for a large legal office in a branch that's not Army.

1) What are some of the things I can do during the summer that would increase my likelihood of being professionally recommended?
2) For those of you have have worked with summer legal interns in the past, what are the big no-nos?
3) Past interns, what did your day to day look like?

edit> follow up, were your offices suit and tie, or nice dress shirt and slacks?

1) Do PT with them in the morning. The military is really big on PT. You can be an overall idiot, but if you can PT well, then you are a God amongst Mortals.

2. Big No-No's for Interns: only being 5 minutes early to wherever you are supposed to be.

bsktbll28082

Silver

Post by bsktbll28082 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:30 pm

twenty:

1) PT and do other social activities with the JAs (when invited). Be a team player. Make sure they know who you are (like don't just fade in the background). Ask them questions about their jobs and ask for advice.
2) Don't be a douche?
3) Research, briefing, grammar check. Also, potlucks and retirement parties. Push up contests.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kivan

New

Post by Kivan » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:37 pm

bsktbll28082 wrote:twenty:

Push up contests.
Yes, my God, yes.

The more push-ups you can do after running a 6 min mile, the better your chances are of getting picked up for AD.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:38 pm

Kivan wrote:

Push up contests.
Yes, my God, yes.

The more push-ups you can do after running a 6 min mile, the better your chances are of getting picked up for AD.
Of course, this is the most important thing about being a lawyer in the military! lol Must be able to do many push ups! ha ha

Kivan

New

Post by Kivan » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Kivan wrote:

Push up contests.
Yes, my God, yes.

Of course, this is the most important thing about being a lawyer in the military! lol Must be able to do many push ups! ha ha
Sadly, that's true to an extent.

Of course your job is first and foremost to give sound and precise legal advise. However, you are also expected to be Super Hooah!

Have you ever met a JAG with a Ranger Tab?

They LITERALLY walk on water and could probably put BOTH hands in their pockets and nobody would say a word.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:07 pm

Kivan wrote: Sadly, that's true to an extent.

Of course your job is first and foremost to give sound and precise legal advise. However, you are also expected to be Super Hooah!

They LITERALLY walk on water and could probably put BOTH hands in their pockets and nobody would say a word.
This reminds me of the admin guys who write their blood type on their boots and think they are special forces. To me it is a little pathetic; they are posers. There is a tip of the spear, and then there is everyone else. Military lawyers are FAR from the tip. We are the quintessential support role job in the military.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kivan

New

Post by Kivan » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Kivan wrote: Sadly, that's true to an extent.

This reminds me of the admin guys who write their blood type on their boots and think they are special forces. To me it is a little pathetic; they are posers. There is a tip of the spear, and then there is everyone else. Military lawyers are FAR from the tip. We are the quintessential support role job in the military.
As a JAG you are a POG. Acknowledge it, Accept it, EMBRACE it!

Plus, you'll be an officer. The only people you'll need to impress are your Rater, Intermediate Rater, and Senior Rater.

hennenr

New

Post by hennenr » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:07 pm

Has anyone heard anything regarding the April DAP board for the Air Force?

lawschoolcando

New

Post by lawschoolcando » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:34 pm

I checked the application page online and it said they changed the board date to April 16. After seeing this, I spoke with a person from the 1-800 number and she said we probably won't hear back until the middle of May but after looking at this blog, my guess is we'll probably hear back in the beginning of May hopefully....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:34 am

Came across this article about the prosecution team that tried the latest capital case. Pretty interesting read. It also underscores the early trial experience that JAGs get, note the young Captain that made the prosecution opening statement. As a former NAVY JAG, I do miss some of the courtroom experiences and the immediate early exposure. Good luck to all applying, whether you make a career out of it or just a tour, it is a unique and valuable experience.

http://www.afjag.af.mil/shared/media/do ... pdf#page=4

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hennenr

New

Post by hennenr » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:29 pm

Just got an email saying the April DAP board has concluded and I should expect my official notification via USPS within a week or two. This is my second board and was rejected via email the first time. Anyone know if the email I received today is good news or bad news?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:33 pm

hennenr wrote:Just got an email saying the April DAP board has concluded and I should expect my official notification via USPS within a week or two. This is my second board and was rejected via email the first time. Anyone know if the email I received today is good news or bad news?
I got the same email, and I would also like to know. My first two rejections were included in the email itself, but I've never heard the accepted people discussing an email.

hennenr

New

Post by hennenr » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:36 pm

I haven't heard of acceptance via email either. It's always "the call." Maybe it's a good sign but I remain cautious.

aussie828

New

Post by aussie828 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:58 pm

The "Dear Applicant" greeting doesn't bode well. The question is whether anyone has actually received a call for acceptance this round.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

aussie828

New

Post by aussie828 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:07 pm

Update: according to the Air Force JAG Recruiting Facebook page, ALL applicants will be notified within 2 weeks. It doesn't seem like any phone calls were made this round.

lawschoolcando

New

Post by lawschoolcando » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:17 pm

I guess we're all in the same boat. I received the same email.

hennenr

New

Post by hennenr » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:33 pm

Kiss any glimmer of hope goodbye.

cubbies44

New

Post by cubbies44 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:15 pm

I received the email as well. I called and was informed they not longer send the notifications through email because they were having so many problems with it. They are going back to sending it through the mail. When I interviewed, I was told I would receive a phone call from him if I was accepted. I haven't received a phone call so I am thinking that is bad news....

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

aussie828

New

Post by aussie828 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:20 pm

cubbies44 wrote:I received the email as well. I called and was informed they not longer send the notifications through email because they were having so many problems with it. They are going back to sending it through the mail. When I interviewed, I was told I would receive a phone call from him if I was accepted. I haven't received a phone call so I am thinking that is bad news....
Not to put too fine a point on it, but when you called and were updated about the mailing, did you also get confirmation that acceptances would still be called?

cubbies44

New

Post by cubbies44 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:22 pm

No, I didn't ask. From her voice tone, it didn't sound positive so my assumption is that I didn't get in.

hennenr

New

Post by hennenr » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:34 pm

I feel like someone would have received a phone call and posted on here about it. At least that is what I keep telling myself.

cubbies44

New

Post by cubbies44 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:49 pm

I know, same here. I keep telling myself it's like 99% that I didn't get in but I still keep looking at my phone. By now, it's too late in day I would think so I guess I will keep my hopes up a little until Monday.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”