Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Roclandsfinest23

Re: Military Law

Postby Roclandsfinest23 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:41 pm

I received an email today that I made the October class. Active Duty Army.

TwoRoads

Postby TwoRoads » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:17 am

TwoRoads wrote:Does anyone have experience with lower back pain/SI joint pain/sciatica and a history of that in relation to medical qualifications/MEPS? Is this an issue? If so, is it waiverable?

Just giving my question a bump in case anyone has thoughts. I hear MEPS and waivers are unpredictable but if anyone has anecdotal advice on low back pain or sciatica issues, I'd appreciate it.
Last edited by TwoRoads on Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Standish

Postby Standish » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:41 pm

Roclandsfinest23 wrote:I received an email today that I made the October class. Active Duty Army.

Did you get a separate notification that your medical had been approved by HRC before you heard that you made the October class? Also, have you been told your first duty station? If so, what was the timeline for that?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:06 pm

TwoRoads wrote:
TwoRoads wrote:Does anyone have experience with lower back pain/SI joint pain/sciatica and a history of that in relation to medical qualifications/MEPS? Is this an issue? If so, is it waiverable?

Just giving my question a bump in case anyone has thoughts. I hear MEPS and waivers are unpredictable but if anyone has anecdotal advise on low back pain or sciatica issues, I'd appreciate it.

For Army, you should look up AR 40-501 at www.apd.army.mil. Chapter 2 covers medical standards for enlistment and induction.

TwoRoads

Postby TwoRoads » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TwoRoads wrote:

Just giving my question a bump in case anyone has thoughts. I hear MEPS and waivers are unpredictable but if anyone has anecdotal advise on low back pain or sciatica issues, I'd appreciate it.

For Army, you should look up AR 40-501 at http://www.apd.army.mil. Chapter 2 covers medical standards for enlistment and induction.

Thanks - I have looked at DoDI 6130-03, which seems to be substantially the same as AR 40-501 that you referenced, and there is not a whole lot of guidance on low back pain. The section on the spine and sacroiliac joints talks about (paraphrasing) current or history of any condition if it is associated with local or referred pain to the extremities or requires frequent treatment. Sciatica includes referred pain to the extremities and low back pain can require frequent treatment (perhaps chiropractic treatment or at least doing physical therapy exercises at home - if it's just exercises at home, though, maybe that's not "treatment").

I am on a treatment plan that ideally will improve posture, prevent throwing my back out in the future and prevent these other symptoms from recurring. However, history of such issues seems to be a concern based on the language above. With low back pain being so common, and JAGs typically being older than the usual enlistee or officer candidate and more likely to have experienced back pain, I was wondering if anyone had dealt with this particular concern before.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:32 pm

TwoRoads wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
TwoRoads wrote:

For Army, you should look up AR 40-501 at http://www.apd.army.mil. Chapter 2 covers medical standards for enlistment and induction.

Thanks - I have looked at DoDI 6130-03, which seems to be substantially the same as AR 40-501 that you referenced, and there is not a whole lot of guidance on low back pain. The section on the spine and sacroiliac joints talks about (paraphrasing) current or history of any condition if it is associated with local or referred pain to the extremities or requires frequent treatment. Sciatica includes referred pain to the extremities and low back pain can require frequent treatment (perhaps chiropractic treatment or at least doing physical therapy exercises at home - if it's just exercises at home, though, maybe that's not "treatment").

I am on a treatment plan that ideally will improve posture, prevent throwing my back out in the future and prevent these other symptoms from recurring. However, history of such issues seems to be a concern based on the language above. With low back pain being so common, and JAGs typically being older than the usual enlistee or officer candidate and more likely to have experienced back pain, I was wondering if anyone had dealt with this particular concern before.

In the class right now. I'll tell you this. There are plenty of people in the class that had to get a medical waiver for something before they got in here. Some people had to get waivers for things much worse than what you got. Yes, there are people that got waivers for back pain or whatever back issue you got going on. Just do what literally the many have done before you, and just go through the medical waiver process. You will have to wait a while, just like everybody else. You just have to roll the dice like everyone else.

ML0576

Postby ML0576 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TwoRoads wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
TwoRoads wrote:

In the class right now. I'll tell you this. There are plenty of people in the class that had to get a medical waiver for something before they got in here. Some people had to get waivers for things much worse than what you got. Yes, there are people that got waivers for back pain or whatever back issue you got going on. Just do what literally the many have done before you, and just go through the medical waiver process. You will have to wait a while, just like everybody else. You just have to roll the dice like everyone else.

Thank you so much for your post and your insight from being on the inside. I am sure you know how much it means to us to hear your info, and please keep us posted with any helpful information, we really appreciate it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:50 pm

Anyone hear about waivers for the current class(es)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear about waivers for the current class(es)?

I submitted my waiver materials six or so weeks ago and have not heard back yet.

Return to “Legal Employment”