Military Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Roclandsfinest23

Re: Military Law

Postby Roclandsfinest23 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:41 pm

I received an email today that I made the October class. Active Duty Army.

TwoRoads

Postby TwoRoads » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:17 am

TwoRoads wrote:Does anyone have experience with lower back pain/SI joint pain/sciatica and a history of that in relation to medical qualifications/MEPS? Is this an issue? If so, is it waiverable?

Just giving my question a bump in case anyone has thoughts. I hear MEPS and waivers are unpredictable but if anyone has anecdotal advice on low back pain or sciatica issues, I'd appreciate it.
Last edited by TwoRoads on Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Standish

Postby Standish » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:41 pm

Roclandsfinest23 wrote:I received an email today that I made the October class. Active Duty Army.

Did you get a separate notification that your medical had been approved by HRC before you heard that you made the October class? Also, have you been told your first duty station? If so, what was the timeline for that?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:06 pm

TwoRoads wrote:
TwoRoads wrote:Does anyone have experience with lower back pain/SI joint pain/sciatica and a history of that in relation to medical qualifications/MEPS? Is this an issue? If so, is it waiverable?

Just giving my question a bump in case anyone has thoughts. I hear MEPS and waivers are unpredictable but if anyone has anecdotal advise on low back pain or sciatica issues, I'd appreciate it.

For Army, you should look up AR 40-501 at www.apd.army.mil. Chapter 2 covers medical standards for enlistment and induction.

TwoRoads

Postby TwoRoads » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TwoRoads wrote:

Just giving my question a bump in case anyone has thoughts. I hear MEPS and waivers are unpredictable but if anyone has anecdotal advise on low back pain or sciatica issues, I'd appreciate it.

For Army, you should look up AR 40-501 at http://www.apd.army.mil. Chapter 2 covers medical standards for enlistment and induction.

Thanks - I have looked at DoDI 6130-03, which seems to be substantially the same as AR 40-501 that you referenced, and there is not a whole lot of guidance on low back pain. The section on the spine and sacroiliac joints talks about (paraphrasing) current or history of any condition if it is associated with local or referred pain to the extremities or requires frequent treatment. Sciatica includes referred pain to the extremities and low back pain can require frequent treatment (perhaps chiropractic treatment or at least doing physical therapy exercises at home - if it's just exercises at home, though, maybe that's not "treatment").

I am on a treatment plan that ideally will improve posture, prevent throwing my back out in the future and prevent these other symptoms from recurring. However, history of such issues seems to be a concern based on the language above. With low back pain being so common, and JAGs typically being older than the usual enlistee or officer candidate and more likely to have experienced back pain, I was wondering if anyone had dealt with this particular concern before.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:32 pm

TwoRoads wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
TwoRoads wrote:

For Army, you should look up AR 40-501 at http://www.apd.army.mil. Chapter 2 covers medical standards for enlistment and induction.

Thanks - I have looked at DoDI 6130-03, which seems to be substantially the same as AR 40-501 that you referenced, and there is not a whole lot of guidance on low back pain. The section on the spine and sacroiliac joints talks about (paraphrasing) current or history of any condition if it is associated with local or referred pain to the extremities or requires frequent treatment. Sciatica includes referred pain to the extremities and low back pain can require frequent treatment (perhaps chiropractic treatment or at least doing physical therapy exercises at home - if it's just exercises at home, though, maybe that's not "treatment").

I am on a treatment plan that ideally will improve posture, prevent throwing my back out in the future and prevent these other symptoms from recurring. However, history of such issues seems to be a concern based on the language above. With low back pain being so common, and JAGs typically being older than the usual enlistee or officer candidate and more likely to have experienced back pain, I was wondering if anyone had dealt with this particular concern before.

In the class right now. I'll tell you this. There are plenty of people in the class that had to get a medical waiver for something before they got in here. Some people had to get waivers for things much worse than what you got. Yes, there are people that got waivers for back pain or whatever back issue you got going on. Just do what literally the many have done before you, and just go through the medical waiver process. You will have to wait a while, just like everybody else. You just have to roll the dice like everyone else.

ML0576

Postby ML0576 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TwoRoads wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
TwoRoads wrote:

In the class right now. I'll tell you this. There are plenty of people in the class that had to get a medical waiver for something before they got in here. Some people had to get waivers for things much worse than what you got. Yes, there are people that got waivers for back pain or whatever back issue you got going on. Just do what literally the many have done before you, and just go through the medical waiver process. You will have to wait a while, just like everybody else. You just have to roll the dice like everyone else.

Thank you so much for your post and your insight from being on the inside. I am sure you know how much it means to us to hear your info, and please keep us posted with any helpful information, we really appreciate it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:50 pm

Anyone hear about waivers for the current class(es)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear about waivers for the current class(es)?

I submitted my waiver materials six or so weeks ago and have not heard back yet.

TwoRoads

Postby TwoRoads » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TwoRoads wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
TwoRoads wrote:

Thanks very much for your insight. I suppose I should also stop trying to predict the future! Though I understand some conditions are not "waiverable" (like psoriasis I believe) and so thought I would ask specifically about a history of back pain, which seems common. In any event, you are right, I do just need to roll the dice. Good luck in the class.

akjim101

Postby akjim101 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:03 pm

I'm in the process of working on my application for the Army's 2L internship. It asks for the name and date of interview with the FSO. Does an OCI interview with the Army count as an interview with an FSO?

Standish

Postby Standish » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:40 pm

akjim101 wrote:I'm in the process of working on my application for the Army's 2L internship. It asks for the name and date of interview with the FSO. Does an OCI interview with the Army count as an interview with an FSO?

Yes, it does for the Army.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:52 pm

Standish wrote:
Roclandsfinest23 wrote:I received an email today that I made the October class. Active Duty Army.

Did you get a separate notification that your medical had been approved by HRC before you heard that you made the October class? Also, have you been told your first duty station? If so, what was the timeline for that?

Same question, thought I'd try to bump it!

Roclandsfinest23

Postby Roclandsfinest23 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Standish wrote:

I got one email that said I was approved by HRC and that I made the October class. In that email they sent me my duty assignment worksheet....still waiting to hear back about where i'll be stationed

frankbeans

Postby frankbeans » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:30 pm

Army AD Select here. Does anyone have an e-mail address for a CPT Suh? I was told to start corresponding with him/her, but cannot find an address. Any help is appreciated. Additionally, when we first submitted documents to JARO, I indicated that I would not be able to start training until next May. Circumstances have changed, and I now hope to get a seat for the January class. Any idea if I should go ahead and communicate this to JARO, or is it a moot point until I get HRC approval and my license? Thank you.

jtl45

Postby jtl45 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:44 pm

Roclandsfinest23 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Standish wrote:

I got one email that said I was approved by HRC and that I made the October class. In that email they sent me my duty assignment worksheet....still waiting to hear back about where i'll be stationed

I received my email confirmation for the October class and HRC approval the first week of June. About the middle of July I received my duty assignment worksheet, but also have not heard back since. (Army AD)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:46 pm

I've been accepted into the Navy and Army JAG and wrapping up my documents for both (still undecided).

My long-term goals are to (1) be overseas (2) be in the courtroom (3) to eventually transition into a State Dept/DOJ Overseas Attache (ideally).

Can anyone give me some insight? I've talked to ex-JAGs of both services, but I get kind of wishy-washy answers. My main concern is Navy's two-year rotation where there's a lot of hand holding and taking it slow (maybe that's good). I haven't read anything like that for the Army (possible and probable). Anyway, if there's any anecdotal advice anyone can provide, it'd be much appreciated. I'm leaning Army right now for no real articulable reason.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:49 am

jtl45 wrote:
Roclandsfinest23 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Standish wrote:

I received my email confirmation for the October class and HRC approval the first week of June. About the middle of July I received my duty assignment worksheet, but also have not heard back since. (Army AD)

What options did you have for your duty assignment?

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've been accepted into the Navy and Army JAG and wrapping up my documents for both (still undecided).

My long-term goals are to (1) be overseas (2) be in the courtroom (3) to eventually transition into a State Dept/DOJ Overseas Attache (ideally).

Can anyone give me some insight? I've talked to ex-JAGs of both services, but I get kind of wishy-washy answers. My main concern is Navy's two-year rotation where there's a lot of hand holding and taking it slow (maybe that's good). I haven't read anything like that for the Army (possible and probable). Anyway, if there's any anecdotal advice anyone can provide, it'd be much appreciated. I'm leaning Army right now for no real articulable reason.

I'm an ex-Army officer (not JAG) now going Navy JAG, so I have some sense of this, but take it with a grain of salt.

1) What do you mean by overseas? You want to deploy? If so, go Army. The opportunities to deploy are much more plentiful, and it's more a part of the Army's culture. Officers in the Army without a combat patch definitely have a credibility problem past a certain point. 2) I think the Navy probably gives you more opportunities to litigate, since a not of non-litigation stuff is handled by DoN civilians. But the Navy is also much smaller, so YMMV. As for 3) I have no idea.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:50 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've been accepted into the Navy and Army JAG and wrapping up my documents for both (still undecided).

I'm an ex-Army officer (not JAG) now going Navy JAG, so I have some sense of this, but take it with a grain of salt.

1) What do you mean by overseas? You want to deploy? If so, go Army. The opportunities to deploy are much more plentiful, and it's more a part of the Army's culture. Officers in the Army without a combat patch definitely have a credibility problem past a certain point. 2) I think the Navy probably gives you more opportunities to litigate, since a not of non-litigation stuff is handled by DoN civilians. But the Navy is also much smaller, so YMMV. As for 3) I have no idea.

I am going to have to respectfully disagree. I am a current Navy jag on active duty.

I am going to be completely honest with you, I wont try to sell you a pack of lies to make my job/service seem awesome, or to recruit you... the Navy is not a good place to be an attorney if you expect to professionally develop yourself, and become a better lawyer. The attorneys that stay in the Navy Jag Corps long term are shit attorney's; they aren't good litigators, their legal writing is garbage, and they become farther and farther removed from the real world law, and become wrapped up and engulfed in military bureaucracy, aka idiocy.

The two year FTJA program is a joke. The Navy is NOT the place to be to become a litigator or get any semblance of litigation experience; this is a lie that continues to be propagated . . . some how, and honestly the how is beyond me. The two year mandatory "internship" PROHIBITS me from getting into the courtroom but only one time for a small plea, which is essentially a five minute argument on sentencing, and MAYBE second chair ONCE on a super shitty misdemeanor level trial for something stupid like a marijuana pop or something. That puts me a FULL TWO years behind all of my other law school peers. After that two years I am basically starting at square one. I personally know attorneys who have been in the Jag Corps over a decade and have one or two super small trials, if that, and no motion writing/litigation experience. By the way, they don't make exceptions for exceptional lawyers either, with some rare exception for attorneys who practiced before the jag corps.

Aside from this two year courtroom moratorium, the case volume in the jag corps is super low, with low level stuff. I'm talking mostly low level domestic violence, shit sexual assaults, and a lot of special court martial drug pops. All of the good stuff the state takes, or the AUSA takes it, we get the scraps. The other jag corps positions are shit too. You're either doing wills all day for retirees, or helping some stupid E2 with a 40K Beamer he can't afford, or dealing with petty command bull shit at the SJA's office, like fund raising requests, DUI's etc. .

The ONLY thing good about my job is my pay is pretty good, and the benefits are good. I out earn most of my law school colleagues, for now. In about 10 years they will all surpass me. Additionally I get tax benefits, and I hardly work at all. Even the attorneys who have been in for years and years have these shit cases, so what do you think gets assigned to the people with five years or less? Even shittier cases, low level simple menial crap. The benefit of which is that I burn through my "work" super fast and I get A LOT of off time. So "work" life balance is awesome.

Good pay and hardly any real work to do is great in the short term, but like I said, I am not getting better as an attorney, and in the long run I will be far behind my peers professionally. I never thought professional development would be a gripe of mine, who the hell complains to get paid and sit around doing nothing?; but I am literally wasting my degree, talent, and intelligence on this organization, for nothing. Once I get out and get a real job I am going to be LOST; worse off even than a brand new lawyer because at least for them the black letter law will be fresh in their heads from the bar.

My advice, steer clear of the Navy Jag Corps for now. We seem to be going through a transition period right now with this FTJA program, and we will be in a world of trouble for about the next decade until whatever dumb ass who implemented it is retired, so that we can be free to also retire this stupid plan. I can't speak for the other branches, although I know Marines get real experience right out of the gate still, and the coast guard does too.

You've been warned.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:

I am going to have to respectfully disagree. I am a current Navy jag on active duty.

I am going to be completely honest with you, I wont try to sell you a pack of lies to make my job/service seem awesome, or to recruit you... the Navy is not a good place to be an attorney if you expect to professionally develop yourself, and become a better lawyer. The attorneys that stay in the Navy Jag Corps long term are shit attorney's; they aren't good litigators, their legal writing is garbage, and they become farther and farther removed from the real world law, and become wrapped up and engulfed in military bureaucracy, aka idiocy.

The two year FTJA program is a joke. The Navy is NOT the place to be to become a litigator or get any semblance of litigation experience; this is a lie that continues to be propagated . . . some how, and honestly the how is beyond me. The two year mandatory "internship" PROHIBITS me from getting into the courtroom but only one time for a small plea, which is essentially a five minute argument on sentencing, and MAYBE second chair ONCE on a super shitty misdemeanor level trial for something stupid like a marijuana pop or something. That puts me a FULL TWO years behind all of my other law school peers. After that two years I am basically starting at square one. I personally know attorneys who have been in the Jag Corps over a decade and have one or two super small trials, if that, and no motion writing/litigation experience. By the way, they don't make exceptions for exceptional lawyers either, with some rare exception for attorneys who practiced before the jag corps.

Aside from this two year courtroom moratorium, the case volume in the jag corps is super low, with low level stuff. I'm talking mostly low level domestic violence, shit sexual assaults, and a lot of special court martial drug pops. All of the good stuff the state takes, or the AUSA takes it, we get the scraps. The other jag corps positions are shit too. You're either doing wills all day for retirees, or helping some stupid E2 with a 40K Beamer he can't afford, or dealing with petty command bull shit at the SJA's office, like fund raising requests, DUI's etc. .

The ONLY thing good about my job is my pay is pretty good, and the benefits are good. I out earn most of my law school colleagues, for now. In about 10 years they will all surpass me. Additionally I get tax benefits, and I hardly work at all. Even the attorneys who have been in for years and years have these shit cases, so what do you think gets assigned to the people with five years or less? Even shittier cases, low level simple menial crap. The benefit of which is that I burn through my "work" super fast and I get A LOT of off time. So "work" life balance is awesome.

Good pay and hardly any real work to do is great in the short term, but like I said, I am not getting better as an attorney, and in the long run I will be far behind my peers professionally. I never thought professional development would be a gripe of mine, who the hell complains to get paid and sit around doing nothing?; but I am literally wasting my degree, talent, and intelligence on this organization, for nothing. Once I get out and get a real job I am going to be LOST; worse off even than a brand new lawyer because at least for them the black letter law will be fresh in their heads from the bar.

My advice, steer clear of the Navy Jag Corps for now. We seem to be going through a transition period right now with this FTJA program, and we will be in a world of trouble for about the next decade until whatever dumb ass who implemented it is retired, so that we can be free to also retire this stupid plan. I can't speak for the other branches, although I know Marines get real experience right out of the gate still, and the coast guard does too.

You've been warned.

Thank you so much, this affirms a lot of what people have been telling me -I just don't think it's for me.

MacSauce

Postby MacSauce » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:58 pm

For anyone who has Instagram and is interested in Air Force JAG: I'm a 2L who is doing the Graduate Law Program (ROTC+Law School) and will be doing a daily photo journal of the experience. If you're curious, feel free to follow. The tag is "journey_of_a_jag"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:50 am

Regarding the application for Army JAG that is currently open:

What is the timeline? Is this application cycle for people who will go to training in January 2018? Or is it mostly for kids still in school to start in 2019? I'm so confused as to when people should be applying and what time frame they are applying for. Is there any upside to waiting for bar results to apply? Or are you at a huge disadvantage if you don't apply before graduating law school?

Should I reach out to a FSO with these questions or should I not bother them until I want an interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Regarding the application for Army JAG that is currently open:

What is the timeline? Is this application cycle for people who will go to training in January 2018? Or is it mostly for kids still in school to start in 2019? I'm so confused as to when people should be applying and what time frame they are applying for. Is there any upside to waiting for bar results to apply? Or are you at a huge disadvantage if you don't apply before graduating law school?

Should I reach out to a FSO with these questions or should I not bother them until I want an interview?

The applications that are open now would have you going to training in October 2018 at the earliest most likely (possibly May 2018 but only if you are prior service). If you haven't passed the bar yet you would more likely go in January 2019 or May 2019. The applications do not really distinguish between students and attorneys who have been practicing for a while. If you want the best chance at getting in, you should apply while still in law school, as you may not get selected the first time, but could be selected on subsequent attempts. This will give you more opportunities.

If you are seriously interested, I would recommend reaching out to an FSO now to schedule an interview and get working on your application. If you are still in school, however, check with your career services department to see if they already have plans to bring in an FSO for OCI.

Standish

Postby Standish » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Regarding the application for Army JAG that is currently open:

If you're in school, check with career services to see when the FSO will be doing interviews on campus. If you're not in school, contact the FSO as soon as possible. Last year, the FSO for my area (in the contiguous US) was stationed in Hawaii, so if I had missed scheduling an interview during the few days he was in my area, it would have been a difficult situation. Also, you do the interview before submitting the application, so just get the interview out of the way and then get your app together.

Return to “Legal Employment”