Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
KWC2VL

New

Re: Military Law

Post by KWC2VL » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:48 am

Hello all,

New to the forum, hoping to enjoy the Holidays before getting too nervous about Army and AF JAG apps.

Do we know if AF SJAs call selected applicants ahead of letters going out or does everyone find out from the letters at the same time? I've heard anecdotal info about Army FSOs calling their selectees ahead of the results being posted, but not whether AF SJAs do the same. The AF seems to have a quick turnaround - Army isn't expected until mid-January from what I've heard, and their apps are due several weeks sooner.

2nd AF Board, 3rd Army Board (Alternate twice), really hoping to get across the finish line this time. Good luck to all applicants and Happy Holidays.

Patrick Bateman

Silver

Post by Patrick Bateman » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:58 am

KWC2VL wrote:Hello all,

New to the forum, hoping to enjoy the Holidays before getting too nervous about Army and AF JAG apps.

Do we know if AF SJAs call selected applicants ahead of letters going out or does everyone find out from the letters at the same time? I've heard anecdotal info about Army FSOs calling their selectees ahead of the results being posted, but not whether AF SJAs do the same. The AF seems to have a quick turnaround - Army isn't expected until mid-January from what I've heard, and their apps are due several weeks sooner.

2nd AF Board, 3rd Army Board (Alternate twice), really hoping to get across the finish line this time. Good luck to all applicants and Happy Holidays.
Those selected for the Air Force JAG programs are called by the interviewing SJAs well in advance of the non-selects receiving the letter.

legalsport

New

Post by legalsport » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:03 pm

do we know how that works with the navy?
- meaning, are calls made before a status change?

target

Silver

Post by target » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:09 pm

legalsport wrote:do we know how that works with the navy?
see pg. 146 toward the bottom.

Brook2013

New

Post by Brook2013 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:47 pm

legalsport wrote:do we know how that works with the navy?
During the Spring Board people got acceptance calls a few days before the online statuses changed.

I remember because some friends of mine got calls (without status changes) and I kept obsessively checking my status until I finally received the bad news.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Fed_Atty

Bronze

Post by Fed_Atty » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:59 pm

When I was picked up by the Navy - the only way I found out was the status changed. There was an e-mail a few days later, but no advance notice.

kourt103

New

Post by kourt103 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:06 pm

NavyJAG1 wrote:When I was picked up by the Navy - the only way I found out was the status changed. There was an e-mail a few days later, but no advance notice.
Which board/year did you get accepted? After I read that last post about hearing a few days before the online status change, I began to think if we haven't heard something by now, then maybe it's bad news.

GoinforJAG

New

Post by GoinforJAG » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:10 pm

Maybe they notify people differently every year just to mess with this forum.

Fed_Atty

Bronze

Post by Fed_Atty » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:21 pm

kourt103 wrote:
NavyJAG1 wrote:When I was picked up by the Navy - the only way I found out was the status changed. There was an e-mail a few days later, but no advance notice.
Which board/year did you get accepted? After I read that last post about hearing a few days before the online status change, I began to think if we haven't heard something by now, then maybe it's bad news.
2010 Fall Board

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KWC2VL

New

Post by KWC2VL » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:23 pm

Thanks for the info Capt. Bateman, and more generally for all of the info you've shared on this thread.

Just out of curiosity - since what's done is done at this point - does anyone know whether previous Army or Navy alternate status is really that much of an advantage with future apps? The first time I was an Army alternate (Fall 10) was very encouraging, but after the second time (Spring 11) I was left considering whether there was some specific reason that I was getting close but not making it. I certainly played it up in my personal statement this time, and I get the impression that my FSO did as well, but wondering if the Board really cares much.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with being an alternate once or multiple times, and if he or she continued applying, how it ultimately turned out.

Thanks in advance.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:49 pm

BetterCallSaul! wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
howell wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:Do the AF Dec DAP results generally come out after the new year?
It was right before Christmas last year. For better or worse.
Honestly, I rather wait until the New Year. Getting a no right before Christmas is just too much. Especially for someone in my shoes. They can have the holiday season. Getting it in January would at least allow me to have a decent holiday with friends and family.
I'd rather know right away so I can enjoy my holidays (and begin to strengthen my package right away).

Bruce, is this your first board?
Yeah I'm still in school.

Neverow

New

Post by Neverow » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:19 pm

KWC2VL wrote:Thanks for the info Capt. Bateman, and more generally for all of the info you've shared on this thread.

Just out of curiosity - since what's done is done at this point - does anyone know whether previous Army or Navy alternate status is really that much of an advantage with future apps? The first time I was an Army alternate (Fall 10) was very encouraging, but after the second time (Spring 11) I was left considering whether there was some specific reason that I was getting close but not making it. I certainly played it up in my personal statement this time, and I get the impression that my FSO did as well, but wondering if the Board really cares much.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with being an alternate once or multiple times, and if he or she continued applying, how it ultimately turned out.

Thanks in advance.
Question for you, KWC2VL. I thought I read somewhere on the application that if you are selected as an alternate, you automatically qualify for the Reserves / National Guard. Is this correct? If so, is there a reason why you didn't consider it? I've heard that some people are able to move from the Reserves to Active Duty after training. Also not sure if this is true, but it might be worth considering. Thanks.

KWC2VL

New

Post by KWC2VL » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:23 pm

Neverow,

I will respond as best I can to your question. First, I know that in the two letters I received after being selected as an alternate, it said I was pre-qualified for service as Reserve or Guard JA. I was and am interested in pursuing this route if Active Duty continues to not work out. However, AD is by far my preference, and I intend to keep applying until family or career circumstances force me to cease doing so.

My understanding of "pre-qualified," based on conversations with a current KY Guard JA, is that it means you do not have to go through the normal Reserve/Guard Accessions Board, but you still have to meet with a Reserve/Guard unit/legal support organization and gain the approval of the SJA or whoever heads the office. Also, at least in the case of the Army, you go through the same training as AD JAs.

As far as going Reserve/Guard and then transitiong AD, I have heard so many conflicting anecdotes that I have no idea what the reality is. My former FSO told me that when he went through JAOBC, a few of the top Reserve/Guard JAs were offered active duty slots at the end of training. I've talked to other people who've been through JAOBC and never heard of anything like that happening. In terms of actually beginning service as Reserve/Guard and then going AD, I've heard/read that if you can do so at all, it's not until after at least four years. Others, including the KY Guard JA I spoke to, told me that going Reserve/Guard is a disadvantage for future AD apps because the Reserve/Guard has an interest in keeping its current JAs. Frankly, I don't know the reality, and am extremely unqualified to speak to this. If anyone more knowledge has better info, please feel free to chime in.

I hope this is a somewhat coherent answer to your questions, and if you're a current applicant, best of luck.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Neverow

New

Post by Neverow » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:48 pm

KWC2VL,

Thank you for the answer. I now have a better understanding of what "pre-qualified" means. I am a 3L and have applied to the AF Dec. board (2nd shot) and the Army Nov. board (1st shot). I am also hoping for AD, but would strongly consider reserve. I was disappointed to see that the spring Army AD board has been suspended (from the JARO FB page). If not selected at this Army board, I will be reapplying next November. Does anyone know if your chances of being selected change after graduation? I would imagine that you are then being compared to other practicing lawyers with experience. My apologies if this has already been discussed. Best of luck to all as we head into finals and hear back during the holidays.

bouakedojo

Bronze

Post by bouakedojo » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:25 pm

Neverow wrote:I was disappointed to see that the spring Army AD board has been suspended (from the JARO FB page).
Wow. So, one shot for 3Ls this year? Damn.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:35 am

http://books.google.com/books?id=7X_q4h ... &q&f=false

Starting at page 33, more information than you can ask for about JAG selection and the behind the scene action.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:18 am

LSATfromNC wrote:http://books.google.com/books?id=7X_q4h ... &q&f=false

Starting at page 33, more information than you can ask for about JAG selection and the behind the scene action.
All I see is some bit about search and seizure of hotel rooms?

[Edit]
I think this is the article you are referring to: https://www.jagcnet.army.mil/DOCLIBS/AR ... %20Kim.pdf
(from JAGC website)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

holajerin

New

Post by holajerin » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:11 pm

Just tried logging in to check status of Navy App. and it's saying login attempt unsuccessful. Ditto for requesting to reset password. Maybe they're inputting status changes?

I did find out that the Board met last week, FYI.

target

Silver

Post by target » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:14 pm

holajerin wrote:Just tried logging in to check status of Navy App. and it's saying login attempt unsuccessful. Ditto for requesting to reset password. Maybe they're inputting status changes?

I did find out that the Board met last week, FYI.
thanks for this update.

holajerin

New

Post by holajerin » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:23 pm

Well, guess not--just tried logging in again, was able to, and it still says pending. The wait continues.

target

Silver

Post by target » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:45 pm

just checked mine, and it is still pending as well.

haha, let's hope this is not another round of continuous status checking. My F5 button has enough hits after LSAT and 1L grade posting.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

balzie94

New

Post by balzie94 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:47 pm

If the board met last week, we should expect status changes by this time next week.

abogadesq

Silver

Post by abogadesq » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:36 pm

My friend graduated last spring, did Army ROTC while in law school, and became a JAG. He said you can enrol in ROTC at your 2L year, but that after graduation you will be given a different branch until you pass the bar exam. Any info on this?

Appleton4309

New

Post by Appleton4309 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:45 am

There is no benefit to doing it this way. JAG does there own applications so you have to go through the regular JAG board, and if you dont get selected then you have to do 4 years in a different branch of the Army with potentially a law degree. AKA you could be working in Human Resources with a JD and be obligated for 4 years.

abogadesq

Silver

Post by abogadesq » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:14 pm

How great is the risk that you would not be accepted by the JAG board? I would think that someone who has gone through ROTC while in law school with decent grades would have a great shot...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”