Firm Refuses/Keeps Forgetting to Reimburse Callback

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
OutoftheWoods

Bronze

Firm Refuses/Keeps Forgetting to Reimburse Callback

Postby OutoftheWoods » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:33 am

I interviewed for a lateral associate position at a big law firm back in April. Submitted my NALP reimbursement forms on time (to tune of $600). Basically I have emailed the local recruiter every month or so after waiting 3 months to be paid back. Keep getting “will send it out soon, sorry.” It’s been about 3 of those emails already. What do I do? Is this something I can take up with NALP? I assume that firms agree to NALPs rules includes reimbursement, so maybe that’s what I do.

I understand there are more important things on recruiters mind than one reimbursement. Which is why I was patient at first, and have tried not to check in more than once a month. But at this point I feel like I won’t be paid back unless I go to NALP or file a small claims suit lol. At my wit’s end here. No way I’m eating a loss on $600.

Bronze

Re: Firm Refuses/Keeps Forgetting to Reimburse Callback

Postby 2013 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:51 am

I’ve never used NALP for lateral stuff. I always thought those rules applied to entry level hiring.

Have you considered reaching out to the head of recruiting instead of the middleman that you’ve been dealing with from the local office? I’d probably reach out to them before trying to get NALP or any other outside entity involved.

The head of recruiting/lateral recruiting is usually posted on the careers page.

OutoftheWoods

Bronze

Postby OutoftheWoods » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:05 pm

2013 wrote:I’ve never used NALP for lateral stuff. I always thought those rules applied to entry level hiring.

Have you considered reaching out to the head of recruiting instead of the middleman that you’ve been dealing with from the local office? I’d probably reach out to them before trying to get NALP or any other outside entity involved.

The head of recruiting/lateral recruiting is usually posted on the careers page.

The head of recruiting has been cc'd on every email, so I thought they would have stepped in by now, but looks like I have to make that explicit. Hopefully that will solve it!

Fingerscrossed11

New

Postby Fingerscrossed11 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:00 am

I have had the same experience for entry level hiring! So frustrating it has also been more than 3 months for me. I wonder if there is a way for firms to be held accountable for this (other than small claims court which is impractical)

QContinuum

Postby QContinuum » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:20 pm

First, to be clear, let me say that I would absolutely not let go of a promised reimbursement.

That said, the allusions ITT to suing the firm are way over the top, IMO. Suing a (potential) employer, in practice, is likely to have major ramifications for one's career (fairly or unfairly - I think unfairly, but I don't make the rules). There are scenarios where it may be worth it, but a $600 reimbursement is not one of them.

I'd reach out to the head of recruiting directly, maybe via a phone call. And then just keep pestering them. It sounds like they accept they owe you the $600, they just haven't made processing it a priority.

Fingerscrossed11

New

Postby Fingerscrossed11 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:22 am

QContinuum wrote:First, to be clear, let me say that I would absolutely not let go of a promised reimbursement.

That said, the allusions ITT to suing the firm are way over the top, IMO. Suing a (potential) employer, in practice, is likely to have major ramifications for one's career (fairly or unfairly - I think unfairly, but I don't make the rules). There are scenarios where it may be worth it, but a $600 reimbursement is not one of them.

I'd reach out to the head of recruiting directly, maybe via a phone call. And then just keep pestering them. It sounds like they accept they owe you the $600, they just haven't made processing it a priority.

Don't get me wrong--I was definitely NOT suggesting small claims court. I was saying it was impractical exactly for those reasons but it's the only other option beyond speaking with the firm, and it's not a good one. Was wondering if there was something less serious that was an option when the firm doesn't respond. In my case, I have emailed every few weeks and called the head of recruiting. It's very frustrating.

shock259

Gold

Postby shock259 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:27 am

Just keep following up. Or find new people to email. And start calling as well. I'm sure they'll eventually pay it.

UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:51 pm

Alerting the forum to the name of the firm could help others at least avoid this situation.

nixy

Gold

Postby nixy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:28 pm

You think people who need jobs aren’t going to apply to this firm because they’ve been slow to reimburse the OP?

UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:03 pm

nixy wrote:You think people who need jobs aren’t going to apply to this firm because they’ve been slow to reimburse the OP?

Yes--that is exactly what I meant.

Or, you know, if there are other options, you can avoid requiring reimbursement directly from the firm.

nixy

Gold

Postby nixy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:11 pm

That seems a sort of apocalyptic response, but you do you.

QContinuum

Postby QContinuum » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:27 pm

nixy wrote:That seems a sort of apocalyptic response, but you do you.

Back in the day I interviewed at firms that expressly told me they would not reimburse travel expenses. I still sucked it up and went.

No way folks will stop applying to the firm in question merely because they're - gasp - slow at processing a reimbursement. Many firms are pretty slow about processing these reimbursements.

nixy

Gold

Postby nixy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:30 pm

UnfrozenCaveman wrote:
nixy wrote:You think people who need jobs aren’t going to apply to this firm because they’ve been slow to reimburse the OP?

Or, you know, if there are other options, you can avoid requiring reimbursement directly from the firm.

Rereading, I get what you meant now. (There are so many calls to OUT THE FIRM on this site for a whole range of things that I leapt to the nuclear option.) Not sure how you avoid getting reimbursed directly from the firm, though, and not sure it's wise for a lateral candidate to give away that much information.

UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:46 pm

Thinking about OUTING my firm for having such terrible toilet paper in the 23rd floor bathroom.

Also, I think my comment may apply more for summer associate style callback reimbursements.

dabigchina

Gold

Postby dabigchina » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:07 am

nixy wrote:
UnfrozenCaveman wrote:

Rereading, I get what you meant now. (There are so many calls to OUT THE FIRM on this site for a whole range of things that I leapt to the nuclear option.) Not sure how you avoid getting reimbursed directly from the firm, though, and not sure it's wise for a lateral candidate to give away that much information.

It's probably useful to know about this stuff so candidates can have reasonable expectations going in - IE they might be out of pocket for expenses incurred for the interview, notwithstanding the official firm policy.

QContinuum

Postby QContinuum » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:44 am

dabigchina wrote:It's probably useful to know about this stuff so candidates can have reasonable expectations going in - IE they might be out of pocket for expenses incurred for the interview, notwithstanding the official firm policy.

That's a good point, especially for those who have a habit of "spreading the wealth" when on business travel.

Return to “Legal Employment?