How hard are policy jobs in DC to come by?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
WorthyAngel

New

How hard are policy jobs in DC to come by?

Postby WorthyAngel » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:54 pm

I have had a couple of interviews with a dream policy fellowship for my 2L summer, but no offer yet. Meanwhile, I have several firm callbacks coming up, and I don't know how long I will be able to hold offers for. I would rather do the policy job, but I'm assuming the most likely outcome is that, post-2L summer, I don't get policy work post-graduation, and I end up doing some other legal work that I'm not super into, wishing I at least had the $180k to solace my misery. Has anyone here had good advice from current lawyers or experience in getting major policy jobs?

Bronze

Re: How hard are policy jobs in DC to come by?

Postby 2013 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:22 am

Get into a regulatory practice in a firm’s DC office. Then switch over to a policy job when one opens up.

lolo24189

New

Postby lolo24189 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:37 am

2013 wrote:Get into a regulatory practice in a firm’s DC office. Then switch over to a policy job when one opens up.

can you elaborate on the overlap here?

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:51 am

lolo24189 wrote:
2013 wrote:Get into a regulatory practice in a firm’s DC office. Then switch over to a policy job when one opens up.

Regulatory groups are focused on specific substantive policy areas...

I'm not sure how much more elaboration you could need.

lolo24189

New

Postby lolo24189 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:22 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
lolo24189 wrote:

I mean how do you switch over to a policy job? It's because you become an expert in a regulatory subject and then go into that subject in policy? Is this on the Hill? Just wondering how you get into a policy job just from doing regulatory work

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:40 pm

lolo24189 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
lolo24189 wrote:

I mean how do you switch over to a policy job? It's because you become an expert in a regulatory subject and then go into that subject in policy? Is this on the Hill? Just wondering how you get into a policy job just from doing regulatory work

More or less, yes.

These regulatory fields aren't that big. If you work in a regulatory group at a big DC shop, you will inevitably get to know the big players in the government or in lobbying groups. You'll also develop the substantive expertise to make you a strong candidate for those positions.

WorthyAngel

New

Postby WorthyAngel » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:04 pm

I don't think I'm ending up at any DC firm. OCI was a complete strike-out.

Return to “Legal Employment?