Taking a vacation right after lateral

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
collegewriter

New

Taking a vacation right after lateral

Postby collegewriter » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:26 pm

I’ve seen this asked a handful of times here but I’m looking for some reassurance on the right way to go. I’m lateraling in October to BigLaw from a non BigLaw job. Because of how slow the firm was with scheduling and onboarding, the week long trip I have planned for October will take place 3 weeks after my start date. I told this to the internal recruiter upon receiving an offer and she assured me it wouldn’t be an issue and to just let the partners know when I started.

I feel like this is cutting it a little close. Most people I’ve talked to have assured me this is ok even in BigLaw, especially because I’m not a first year, but I’m having (possibly irrational) anxiety. I recognize that I need to prove myself to a certain extent on joining, especially coming from my role. Am I totally screwing up? Should I cancel my trip? Should I ask the recruiter to tell the partners now or email them myself?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Re: Taking a vacation right after lateral

Postby Elston Gunn » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:19 am

I would email the partners now. I would frame it something like: “I understand [recruiter] already told you about this, but I wanted to remind you I am planning to be on vacation from XX - YY. Please let me know if you have any concerns.”

It’ll almost certainly be fine, but if the recruiter didn’t remember to tell them, 3 weeks is a short lead time.

LBJ's Hair

Bronze

Postby LBJ's Hair » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:51 am

Isn't the move just to delay the start date until after the vacation, so that you're not coming in, sorta ramping up, and then disappearing for a week?

The recruiter's sign-off is nice, but what you care about isn't them. It's the partners. And presumably you didn't get the all-clear from them.

If it's too late to move the start date I guess it's too late to move the start date, but I think you're right to be concerned that this may not be the best look. (Maternity/paternity leave is obviously a different matter.)

collegewriter

New

Postby collegewriter » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:58 am

LBJ's Hair wrote:Isn't the move just to delay the start date until after the vacation, so that you're not coming in, sorta ramping up, and then disappearing for a week?

The recruiter's sign-off is nice, but what you care about isn't them. It's the partners. And presumably you didn't get the all-clear from them.

If it's too late to move the start date I guess it's too late to move the start date, but I think you're right to be concerned that this may not be the best look. (Maternity/paternity leave is obviously a different matter.)

Thanks for this. I’ll check in with the partners. Unfortunately I probably can’t delay the start date at this point. I do think it’s a little weird to email them before starting but whatever.

ClubberLang

Bronze

Postby ClubberLang » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:59 am

This is a risky move. I wouldn't do it. Emailing the partners now is terrible advice. You don't want this to be their first impression of you. 3 weeks in is prime ramp-up time and a bad time to be unavailable. Whatever the recruiter told you about it being ok is meaningless. What matters is what partners and seniors think of you, and this is likely to rub someone the wrong way.

collegewriter

New

Postby collegewriter » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:04 am

ClubberLang wrote:This is a risky move. I wouldn't do it. Emailing the partners now is terrible advice. You don't want this to be their first impression of you. 3 weeks in is prime ramp-up time and a bad time to be unavailable. Whatever the recruiter told you about it being ok is meaningless. What matters is what partners and seniors think of you, and this is likely to rub someone the wrong way.

This is my gut as well. Some people won’t care but some people will and I can’t really afford to rub people the wrong way right off the bat.

I’ve spoken to ex associates from the group who seemed to think this was fine...but that seems a little casual to me.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:27 am

It is fine *if* you’ve discussed it during the hiring process. It sounds like you didn’t (other than through your recruiter). I’ve seen it happen quite a bit - especially when people have families, vacations are planned in advance/around school breaks and life happens. Most new jobs would either prefer you delay the start date or just let you take the vacation.

collegewriter

New

Postby collegewriter » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:30 am

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:It is fine *if* you’ve discussed it during the hiring process. It sounds like you didn’t (other than through your recruiter). I’ve seen it happen quite a bit - especially when people have families, vacations are planned in advance/around school breaks and life happens. Most new jobs would either prefer you delay the start date or just let you take the vacation.

I think it’s worth noting that I discussed it with their internal recruiter not mine. Does this change your view? I agree it definitely happens a lot which is why I initially thought it wouldn’t be an issue but am starting to get nervous about it.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:50 am

I think talking to the internal recruiter helps, but it is not the same as getting sign off from partners. I wouldn't necessarily email the partners now. Maybe reach out to the internal recruiter about pushing your start date. If the vacation were literally the week after you started it or two months after you start, it would not be a big deal. But 3 weeks is right at the point where you are going to be getting staffed on things and having your first interactions with partners.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:16 am

I was in a very similar boat when I recently lateraled. I went ahead and canceled it, which was easy for me since my credit card had trip insurance. I lined up my 2 weeks notice and start date so I got a short break to relax.

It's just not worth it imo. I was in the honeymoon phase right after lateralling, and the vacation wasn't necessary for my mental health at that point. Hitting the ground running and cementing myself as a reliable associate for various partners was far more important.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Postby Elston Gunn » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:15 pm

I feel like you guys are making a big deal for no reason—people have vacations long-planned for not too long after lateraling all the time—but sure it is lower risk to just cancel, especially if you suspect the recruiter didn’t actually tell anyone.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:29 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:I feel like you guys are making a big deal for no reason—people have vacations long-planned for not too long after lateraling all the time—but sure it is lower risk to just cancel, especially if you suspect the recruiter didn’t actually tell anyone.

I think most likely it is ok and if it is a really big vacation that they can't get out of, not worth cancelling. But I definitely can see a scenario where a partner finds out that OP has started and asks them to join their deal team or case and OP saying that they are going on vacation that partner not wanting to work with them. Even as an associate and being supportive of ppl taking a vacation, if a new associate in their first month said they'd be unavailable I would be a little annoyed.

collegewriter

New

Postby collegewriter » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:12 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
Elston Gunn wrote:I feel like you guys are making a big deal for no reason—people have vacations long-planned for not too long after lateraling all the time—but sure it is lower risk to just cancel, especially if you suspect the recruiter didn’t actually tell anyone.

I think most likely it is ok and if it is a really big vacation that they can't get out of, not worth cancelling. But I definitely can see a scenario where a partner finds out that OP has started and asks them to join their deal team or case and OP saying that they are going on vacation that partner not wanting to work with them. Even as an associate and being supportive of ppl taking a vacation, if a new associate in their first month said they'd be unavailable I would be a little annoyed.

This is sort of my view as well. It’s funny the different perspectives I’ve gotten this. Fundamentally I think this is likely to screw up timing of certain work and may keep me from meeting the pro-rated hours requirement. I’m picturing saying no to work at the end of week two and then not picking up work until the beginning of week 6 there. In the long term I think your work stands for itself but in the short term I could see this hurting a relationship with a partner or seniors. On the other hand I don’t think anyone looks back on their life and wishes they billed more hours instead of going on vacation with friends. I can get my money back at this point it’s just a matter of disappointing my friends and cancelling a trip I was looking forward to. I appreciate everyone’s perspective here - I think it shows that everyone has a different view on this but that some people I’m going to work with may feel strongly that this a bad idea just like some on here do.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:40 pm

collegewriter wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:

This is sort of my view as well. It’s funny the different perspectives I’ve gotten this. Fundamentally I think this is likely to screw up timing of certain work and may keep me from meeting the pro-rated hours requirement. I’m picturing saying no to work at the end of week two and then not picking up work until the beginning of week 6 there. In the long term I think your work stands for itself but in the short term I could see this hurting a relationship with a partner or seniors. On the other hand I don’t think anyone looks back on their life and wishes they billed more hours instead of going on vacation with friends. I can get my money back at this point it’s just a matter of disappointing my friends and cancelling a trip I was looking forward to. I appreciate everyone’s perspective here - I think it shows that everyone has a different view on this but that some people I’m going to work with may feel strongly that this a bad idea just like some on here do.

Can you try to push back your start date? I would think that would be the optimal outcome.

hurldes

Bronze

Postby hurldes » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:19 pm

It doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me, but everyone is different. Maybe you can you ask one of the attorneys you interviewed with what they think? I know some firms are more relaxed about vacations, especially if you give enough notice. Maybe one of the associates can clue you in on how the partners would react?

Alternatively, I don't see a problem with emailing the partners you met during your interview. Just tell them that you are excited to start but have had this trip planned for several months and the timing is a little tricky. Say that you just wanted to let them know and you're willing to cancel the trip if needed.

Return to “Legal Employment?