How did your lateral experience go?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How did your lateral experience go?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:00 pm

I'm a junior associate at a biglaw firm in NYC considering a lateral move for practice area reasons. My current firm doesn't have a prominent practice in my current group, so there is minimal deal flow. I'm generally happy otherwise (quality of life is good, given the generally low hours, and people are tolerable), but I don't think I'm getting the experience I would like to get. I think my concern is that I'm just coasting and not setting myself up for potential moves down the line once the biglaw train ends. I am considering a move, but just worried about a lot of the unknowns and having to start over. If there are any recent laterals in the NYC market who made the move for similar reasons, I'd love to hear about your experience/process. Just to get the conversation started:

Was it worth it?
Did you use a recruiter?
How integrated do you feel in the new firm?
What unknowns do you wish you had known now that you are at the new firm?

Return to “Legal Employment�