Preparing for corporate position interview coming from litigation Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Preparing for corporate position interview coming from litigation

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:31 pm

I graduated law school in 2015 and have been in lit positions--including clerkships--ever since. I'm thinking of trying to switch to corporate. I feel that it might fit my personality and interests better than lit. I have an interview with a firm coming up for a spot in the general corporate, estate planning, and commercial real estate areas. I'm looking for suggestions on how to prepare for this interview given that I lack a background in these areas. Suggestions for reading material are welcome, both to help prepare for the interview, and to help ensure my feeling that I will like more transactional, business-oriented practices more than lit is correct.

Thanks!

gregfootball2001

Silver

Re: Preparing for corporate position interview coming from litigation

Post by gregfootball2001 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:22 am

You have experience and knowledge that the corporate associates don't. You've seen what happens when the corporate stuff goes wrong. Stress that because you've seen what happens on the back end, you'll be valuable working on the front end. For example, they do estate planning - have you seen or worked on litigation involving estate matters? You can always be taught to draft a signature page, but if you have experience spotting the important issues, that's valuable.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:53 pm

gregfootball2001 wrote:You have experience and knowledge that the corporate associates don't. You've seen what happens when the corporate stuff goes wrong. Stress that because you've seen what happens on the back end, you'll be valuable working on the front end. For example, they do estate planning - have you seen or worked on litigation involving estate matters? You can always be taught to draft a signature page, but if you have experience spotting the important issues, that's valuable.
As someone who does transactional, I think this approach is dead wrong, for a few reason.

First, you don’t want to discuss corporate screw ups; that’s only going to put them on the defensive.

Second, just because you’ve litigated a case based on a contract doesn’t mean you know how to draft that contract and the other million little things go into closing a deal. To imply otherwise will come off as belittling what corporate attorneys do.

Third, don’t reduce what a corporate associate does to “draft a signature page.” Yes, you have to do that as a junior, but that’s not the part of the experience you want to focus on, and it’s a minor party in the grand scheme of things.

I think the litigation angle providing a window into corporate is best brought up as an aside, if at all. Instead, focus on why your interests and personality are a good fit for corporate, or why these particular areas of corporate appeal to you. Talk about how you’d enjoy the drafting process, working productively with counterparties, helping build something, getting clients a good experience, etc.

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
gregfootball2001 wrote:You have experience and knowledge that the corporate associates don't. You've seen what happens when the corporate stuff goes wrong. Stress that because you've seen what happens on the back end, you'll be valuable working on the front end. For example, they do estate planning - have you seen or worked on litigation involving estate matters? You can always be taught to draft a signature page, but if you have experience spotting the important issues, that's valuable.
As someone who does transactional, I think this approach is dead wrong, for a few reason.

First, you don’t want to discuss corporate screw ups; that’s only going to put them on the defensive.

Second, just because you’ve litigated a case based on a contract doesn’t mean you know how to draft that contract and the other million little things go into closing a deal. To imply otherwise will come off as belittling what corporate attorneys do.

Third, don’t reduce what a corporate associate does to “draft a signature page.” Yes, you have to do that as a junior, but that’s not the part of the experience you want to focus on, and it’s a minor party in the grand scheme of things.

I think the litigation angle providing a window into corporate is best brought up as an aside, if at all. Instead, focus on why your interests and personality are a good fit for corporate, or why these particular areas of corporate appeal to you. Talk about how you’d enjoy the drafting process, working productively with counterparties, helping build something, getting clients a good experience, etc.
The ideas I shared in my post were what helped me go from litigation to transactional (which is what I currently do), so obviously YMMV. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”