LEGAL RECRUITING Reputations

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

LEGAL RECRUITING Reputations

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:10 pm

What's your impression of the legal recruiting teams/staff at various biglaw firms as you go through the process?
My experience is that some are a lot more tech savvy and friendlier than others. Also some others that are on a power trip and feel bureaucratic AF. Here are my impressions so far:

Cleary (DC) - Very professional. Tech-savvy. Travel accommodations for callback = very very easy. Gave us options for hotels before we even asked, etc.

WilmerHale (DC) - Feels like it's still stuck in the 20th century. No online portal for scheduling interviews. Wanted us to email them top three preferences for times. No idea which hotels they would put us in if we chose them as the host firm. Circulated a guidebook for reimbursements etc that gave the impression that they're very stuck up. Which is a shame, because the people I met at Wilmer were all very outgoing and fun.

Covington (DC) - everything is online. pretty professional, except their legal recruiting team NEVER RESPONDS to anything so it makes me feeling like they're a bit rigid and not super friendly.

Skadden (DC) - all online. Interacted with someone on the phone and they were nice.

Feel free to continue the list or add

Anonymous User

Re: LEGAL RECRUITING Reputations

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:24 pm

Though my experience is a bit dated:

Latham (NY): Not as well organized relative to others; kind of clubby/groupthink feel to the callback process.

DPW (NYC): Genuinely friendly and kind; quick, thoughtful, and accommodating (within reason).

WLRK: Incredibly efficient. Like, scary efficient. A well-oiled machine.

S&C: Pretty well-organized. The personalized callback folders/paraphernalia gave me the impression they were making the effort to impress me with the reach/sophistication/power of the firm.

Obviously, YMMV.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:19 pm

Paul Weiss (NY) - incredibly friendly, also pretty bougie. they will spoil you

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:37 pm

Latham (DC): Pretty organized. Everything was online. I didn't have much contact with the recruiting department other than receiving confirmation e-mails. My interactions were with the attorneys who work with recruiting rather than the recruiting staff.

Skadden (DC): In-person, they were all very friendly. By e-mail/phone, you definitely lost the personal touch in favor of efficiency but I suppose that is to be expected at this time of year.

A&P (DC): I didn't have much interaction with the staff prior to going there in-person. Everything was handled very efficiently and I received confirmation e-mails. In-person, they were all really nice. I got the impression that it was a strong group of folks who genuinely enjoyed the work and cared that all of the potential summers had a good experience all the way through.

S&C (DC): Extremely friendly and accommodating! Interactions were by phone and e-mail (phone at the beginning). It helps that it's a smaller office but the scheduling was about what works best for me rather than what might have worked best for them. Definitely my best recruiting team experience so far.

Akin (DC): They seem disorganized. I'd get e-mails from 3 different members of the team the same morning and they were not on the same page at all. Long delay in terms of e-mail responses. Nice enough in person but the lack of organization gave me pause.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:39 am

I clerked on CoA and then had a unicorn job after law school. When it was time to go to biglaw, I reached out to 5 DC firms, and had three offers by the time Covington deigned to extend an interview.

I get the impression that they are cautious and/or just behind the ball.

Return to “Legal Employment�