dc firms, regulatory work

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

dc firms, regulatory work

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:43 pm

im interested in hearing which firms have good/bad reputations in terms of associates getting substantive work, decent hours, good exit opportunities, working with nice partners, etc. thanks!

Elston Gunn

Gold

Re: dc firms, regulatory work

Postby Elston Gunn » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:24 pm

I think this question is too general. Regulatory work typically means working in a specific small group within a firm, so unless you’re asking about a specific group, firms aren’t going to have a “regulatory group culture” that’s any different from firm culture generally. In terms of exits, you probably just want to go to the best firm in your substantive area, and Chambers is a good guide there.

If you have more specific questions, I do DC regulatory work and you can PM me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:38 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:I think this question is too general. Regulatory work typically means working in a specific small group within a firm, so unless you’re asking about a specific group, firms aren’t going to have a “regulatory group culture” that’s any different from firm culture generally. In terms of exits, you probably just want to go to the best firm in your substantive area, and Chambers is a good guide there.

Not OP, but also interested in regulatory work. What are your thoughts on FIG in DPW (NY or DC)? Is that group's work for a junior associate level going to be more substantive than comparable work for a 1st/2nd year in M&A/Cap Markets? And does the impending recession impact that sort of work, or more things like whether Dodd-Frank is repealed?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Elston Gunn wrote:I think this question is too general. Regulatory work typically means working in a specific small group within a firm, so unless you’re asking about a specific group, firms aren’t going to have a “regulatory group culture” that’s any different from firm culture generally. In terms of exits, you probably just want to go to the best firm in your substantive area, and Chambers is a good guide there.

Not OP, but also interested in regulatory work. What are your thoughts on FIG in DPW (NY or DC)? Is that group's work for a junior associate level going to be more substantive than comparable work for a 1st/2nd year in M&A/Cap Markets? And does the impending recession impact that sort of work, or more things like whether Dodd-Frank is repealed?

Absolutely if you're interested in regulatory work, especially with a transaction bent. I mean, DPW's FIG is widely considered the best bar none if I'm not mistaken. You'd have to think that an economic downturn would increase the amount of work that is available in that practice because a lot of the really interesting/heavy lifting work comes from large bank mergers/consolidation and other recession related events under intense regulatory scrutiny.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Postby Elston Gunn » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Absolutely if you're interested in regulatory work, especially with a transaction bent. I mean, DPW's FIG is widely considered the best bar none if I'm not mistaken. You'd have to think that an economic downturn would increase the amount of work that is available in that practice because a lot of the really interesting/heavy lifting work comes from large bank mergers/consolidation and other recession related events under intense regulatory scrutiny.

Agreed with the caveat that from what I’ve heard QOL is especially awful in that group (certainly as compared to regulatory work generally, which is usually a more humane practice). I’m also not sure DPW is really ahead of S&C in this space beyond marketing, but it’s close enough to make no difference. @The anon who asked the question, why don’t you PM me?

Return to “Legal Employment?