Catching up when entering transactional group after clerkship Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Catching up when entering transactional group after clerkship

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:20 am

This fall I’ll be starting as a second-year at a large M&A practice in a secondary market after an appellate clerkship.

Should I be concerned about being seen as an overpaid first-year? Any tips on catching up to my class peers?

misterjames

Bronze

Re: Catching up when entering transactional group after clerkship

Post by misterjames » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:This fall I’ll be starting as a second-year at a large M&A practice in a secondary market after an appellate clerkship.

Should I be concerned about being seen as an overpaid first-year? Any tips on catching up to my class peers?
You should be fine, the difference between a first and second year are minimal. You should share your experience on finding this post-clerkship position though, I think a lot of people would be interested in hearing how you made this happen. Clerkship to transactional group is near unheard of.

UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze

Post by UnfrozenCaveman » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:00 pm

Read a bunch of long contracts and enter the assignment provisions into a spreadsheet for a while.

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:38 pm

UnfrozenCaveman wrote:Read a bunch of long contracts and enter the assignment provisions into a spreadsheet for a while.
Be very careful to make sure the signature page lines are the same length for each signatory.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:45 pm

misterjames wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This fall I’ll be starting as a second-year at a large M&A practice in a secondary market after an appellate clerkship.

You should be fine, the difference between a first and second year are minimal. You should share your experience on finding this post-clerkship position though, I think a lot of people would be interested in hearing how you made this happen. Clerkship to transactional group is near unheard of.
OP here. I had the transactional gig before accepting the clerkship, which I did more for “getting the gold star” purposes (and for the sake of curiosity) than for any career-minded reason.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

misterjames

Bronze

Post by misterjames » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
misterjames wrote:

OP here. I had the transactional gig before accepting the clerkship, which I did more for “getting the gold star” purposes (and for the sake of curiosity) than for any career-minded reason.
Fair enough, although I question how gold that star is if it's largely inapplicable to your subsequent practice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:14 pm

misterjames wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
misterjames wrote:

Fair enough, although I question how gold that star is if it's largely inapplicable to your subsequent practice.
OP here. So do I. I accepted the clerkship before deciding whether to join the firm’s lit or transactional groups. I.e., I had an offer, but hadn’t decided which group to join.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:23 pm

All second years are overpaid first years, you're good

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:28 pm

misterjames wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I had the transactional gig before accepting the clerkship, which I did more for “getting the gold star” purposes (and for the sake of curiosity) than for any career-minded reason.
Eh, who knows. On the off chance anon ever develops an itch for legal academia down the road, that clerkship will still be helpful.

Out of curiosity, anon, did you still receive a clerkship bonus even though joining transactional? (I assume yes.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:05 am

QContinuum wrote:
misterjames wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I had the transactional gig before accepting the clerkship, which I did more for “getting the gold star” purposes (and for the sake of curiosity) than for any career-minded reason.
Eh, who knows. On the off chance anon ever develops an itch for legal academia down the road, that clerkship will still be helpful.

Out of curiosity, anon, did you still receive a clerkship bonus even though joining transactional? (I assume yes.)
Yes!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
QContinuum wrote:Out of curiosity, anon, did you still receive a clerkship bonus even though joining transactional? (I assume yes.)
Yes!
Thanks for the response and kudos again on the clerkship!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:06 am

QContinuum wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
QContinuum wrote:Out of curiosity, anon, did you still receive a clerkship bonus even though joining transactional? (I assume yes.)
Yes!
Thanks for the response and kudos again on the clerkship!
Of course, and thanks for modding.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:50 am

I'm also a little concerned about this OP. Going into an M&A group after an appellate clerkship because that was what my summer was and I didn't get an offer from the boutiques I was trying for during clerkship.

In theory there's some overlap in knowledge since it was DE Supreme, but still a bit worried.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”