NY firms with transactional rotation programs Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NY firms with transactional rotation programs

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:09 pm

I’m doing my pre-OCI research and trying to find/make a list of (NY) firms with formal rotation programs within the transactional/corporate department. I think that a rotation program is much better suited to my nature and skill set then just being a generalist in a free market system.

So far I have the following firms as having formal rotation programs within their corporate/transactional departments:
Debevoise (2 x 12 months)
Milbank (3x 4 months)
Davis Polk (2 x 6 months)
Simpson Thacher (2 x 8 months with one backup group to provide you with additional work)
Allen and Overy (2 x 6 months)
Skadden (2 x 8 months)

Any others?

I know Cravath also has its own more bespoke rotation system that goes on for most of one’s time as an associate but Cravath is a bit of a reach for me given my grade profile and I don’t particularly want to work there anyway given what I’ve heard about its culture and intensity.

lawdude31

Bronze

Re: NY firms with transactional rotation programs

Post by lawdude31 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:36 pm

I am pretty sure Paul Weiss has rotations as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:42 pm

lawdude31 wrote:I am pretty sure Paul Weiss has rotations as well.
They seem to have an ‘unassigned program’ which lets you sample work from different practice areas but not a more immersive rotation program.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:12 pm

Just to note that Allen & Overy's rotations aren't limited to transactional, it's all practices. You can try both lit and corporate if you want, for example.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I’m doing my pre-OCI research and trying to find/make a list of (NY) firms with formal rotation programs within the transactional/corporate department. I think that a rotation program is much better suited to my nature and skill set then just being a generalist in a free market system.

So far I have the following firms as having formal rotation programs within their corporate/transactional departments:
Debevoise (2 x 12 months)
Milbank (3x 4 months)
Davis Polk (2 x 6 months)
Simpson Thacher (2 x 8 months with one backup group to provide you with additional work)
Allen and Overy (2 x 6 months)
Skadden (2 x 8 months)

Any others?

I know Cravath also has its own more bespoke rotation system that goes on for most of one’s time as an associate but Cravath is a bit of a reach for me given my grade profile and I don’t particularly want to work there anyway given what I’ve heard about its culture and intensity.
I would at least do a screener at Cravath, I had the exact same thoughts before recruiting (reach + bad culture) and was very surprised at how much I liked the people/ that I somehow got a callback/offer. Worst comes to worst, you wasted 20 minutes doing a screener but you might be surprised.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

icansortofmath

Bronze

Post by icansortofmath » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:23 pm

Cravath is more cutoff then fit based hiring than ranking by GPA like some of the grade sensitive firms out there.

Obviously bottom of top 1/3 at t-14 will have lower chances than law review at NYU but I know for certain (more than one offers to people barely in top 1/3 of t14) they got a fighting chance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lawdude31 wrote:I am pretty sure Paul Weiss has rotations as well.
They seem to have an ‘unassigned program’ which lets you sample work from different practice areas but not a more immersive rotation program.
Goodwin overall does the same. I believe Ropes is the same

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”