Vale of Tears Grad, is this a good sign?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 340013
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Vale of Tears Grad, is this a good sign?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:00 am

I recently graduated from a T-20. I met with a hiring recruiter. And after talking for a little over an hour about my journey thus far and my pitfalls, they said I was a strong candidate and asked for me to send my materials over. Is this a good sign? Should I get my hopes up even for a little bit or is she being nice?

deference

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:34 pm

Re: Vale of Tears Grad, is this a good sign?

Postby deference » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:27 am

If you’re a newly minted attorney with zero practicing experience to speak of, Take it with a grain. They probably wanted to make sure you’re a competent individual first before putting in time on you.

misterjames

Bronze
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:20 am

Re: Vale of Tears Grad, is this a good sign?

Postby misterjames » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:I recently graduated from a T-20. I met with a hiring recruiter. And after talking for a little over an hour about my journey thus far and my pitfalls, they said I was a strong candidate and asked for me to send my materials over. Is this a good sign? Should I get my hopes up even for a little bit or is she being nice?


Recruiter working with a new grad? I wouldn't get your hopes up. Not to say nothing comes of it, but good/useful recruiters seem to be becoming more and more rare. Keep in mind that law firms must pay recruiters a fee when hiring their candidates. Why would anyone pay a fee to hire a new grad when they're probably inundated with similar resumes on a daily basis from regular candidates with no fee? But as a new grad, you should be working every angle possible, so if this recruiter says they're willing to help then go for it. One piece of advice though, any proposed firm/business the recruiter gives you, see if you have a connection their yourself before having the recruiter apply - it'll almost certainly be better received.

MichelleMichelle

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:59 pm

Re: Vale of Tears Grad, is this a good sign?

Postby MichelleMichelle » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:36 am

I would also advise taking it with a huge grain of salt, if not ignoring it altogether. If you are fresh out of school and have no experience, working with a recruiter may not be the best idea. A firm would not want to pay the recruiter fee and could easily hire someone else with the same level of experience w/o the fee. When I was fresh out and in the vale, I also got some encouragement from a recruiter. It was nice to hear, but ultimately nothing came of it.

In any case, I think the best thing you can do is continue applying and networking. You got this!

Anonymous User
Posts: 340013
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Vale of Tears Grad, is this a good sign?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:36 pm

MichelleMichelle wrote:I would also advise taking it with a huge grain of salt, if not ignoring it altogether. If you are fresh out of school and have no experience, working with a recruiter may not be the best idea. A firm would not want to pay the recruiter fee and could easily hire someone else with the same level of experience w/o the fee. When I was fresh out and in the vale, I also got some encouragement from a recruiter. It was nice to hear, but ultimately nothing came of it.

In any case, I think the best thing you can do is continue applying and networking. You got this!


Sorry, if there was a misunderstanding they works AT the firm. I guess a hiring manager would be the more appropriate term.

misterjames

Bronze
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:20 am

Re: Vale of Tears Grad, is this a good sign?

Postby misterjames » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
MichelleMichelle wrote:I would also advise taking it with a huge grain of salt, if not ignoring it altogether. If you are fresh out of school and have no experience, working with a recruiter may not be the best idea. A firm would not want to pay the recruiter fee and could easily hire someone else with the same level of experience w/o the fee. When I was fresh out and in the vale, I also got some encouragement from a recruiter. It was nice to hear, but ultimately nothing came of it.

In any case, I think the best thing you can do is continue applying and networking. You got this!


Sorry, if there was a misunderstanding she works AT the firm. I guess a hiring manager manager would be the more appropriate term.


Ah, that's very different. Yes, very good sign.

deference

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:34 pm

Re: Vale of Tears Grad, is this a good sign?

Postby deference » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:45 pm

Huge difference! Sounds encouraging for sure. Cross your fingers that it means you’ve gotten past the HR screener at least.

icansortofmath

Bronze
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:49 pm

Re: Vale of Tears Grad, is this a good sign?

Postby icansortofmath » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:52 pm

That’s a very good sign. If nothing else, it means they have an opening and you’re qualified for it.



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.