Lateral screener/callback

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateral screener/callback

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:46 pm

I have a lateral interview coming up, it is my first time meeting this firm and I’ll be meeting two partners and two associates. I was curious if this would be considered a screener or callback. I got the interview through a connection at the firm, whose first interview with this firm was only with two partners, which is why I’m curious.

Anonymous User

Re: Lateral screener/callback

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:49 pm

I think a few of us who’ve been out a few years have experienced this. I’d just assume you’re in for a lengthy interview and don’t worry about labels.

I don’t think there’s a formal distinction form screener to callbacks when you’re lateraling with experience. Before I left private practice, my lateral interviews either had a “screener” with someone from HR/recruiting over the phone or just one attorney that wanted to quickly gauge whether I was qualified (usually over the phone too). The in-person interviews were always more in depth and lengthy than what you’d normally expect at a first round interview or a “screener.” That being said, none of them were ever as long as the day-long callback you’d be used to in law school (multiple interviews and lunch, etc.)

papermateflair

New

Postby papermateflair » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:17 pm

For laterals, if it's the first time you're going to the office I would say it's an initial interview, and if they bring you back, that would be a callback (a little bit different than in law school, where a callback is that initial interview in the office), but I don't really think it matters - I would prepare for it as if you're going to be there for a few hours, although ours usually last a couple of hours when we bring people in for lateral interviews, they aren't all-day affairs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:19 pm

I had a different experience than the anon above, applying laterally in a major market and a secondary market in the same time. I interviewed with about a dozen firms. All of them except one did a screener before the callback, and in some cases the screener was with multiple people - I had a screener with 4 partners over videoconference at one firm, for example. There seemed to be a fairly formal distinction between screener and callback in my experience. If it was over the phone or videoconference, it was a screener. If it was with only 1-2 people, it was a screener. All the firms had callback style interviews that involved a trip to their office, meeting 4+ partners and associates (sometimes as many as 15). Some of the callbacks went much longer than any OCI callbacks. The firms would also use the terms 'screener' and 'callback' in a lot of cases.

Return to “Legal Employment?