Looking for anecdotes of early-hire GCs taking an equity piece in a startup

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
misterjames

Bronze

Looking for anecdotes of early-hire GCs taking an equity piece in a startup

Postby misterjames » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:40 pm

I've only heard of a couple of these myself, but I'd love to hear some other anecdotes. Do you know someone who joined a startup and took a decent piece of equity, e.g. 1-5%? I've heard you're more likely to get something like this if you come in as "GC + X", typically because larger equity pieces only go to earlier employees like the first few senior hires, and a standard GC usually comes later.

oblig.lawl.ref

Bronze

Re: Looking for anecdotes of early-hire GCs taking an equity piece in a startup

Postby oblig.lawl.ref » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:39 pm

I work with a lot of cap tables and a GC getting a full 1% of a company sounds pretty rich to me and unlikely. 0.5% of a small company would probably be good.

pleapeddler

New

Postby pleapeddler » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:44 am

Glad you asked for anecdotes because I think this is super fact-dependent, but someone I worked with a few years ago moved to a startup as their first GC at 2-3% but gave up a lot in terms of baseline comp to get that.

misterjames

Bronze

Postby misterjames » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:35 pm

pleapeddler wrote:Glad you asked for anecdotes because I think this is super fact-dependent, but someone I worked with a few years ago moved to a startup as their first GC at 2-3% but gave up a lot in terms of baseline comp to get that.

Yeah agreed, it's all over the place but I do think a much smaller percentage for a GC is typically the norm, more like 1% or less as the other poster suggested. But I've heard of a few getting larger slices (and usually does come with a salary cut), so wanted to hear from others.

Return to “Legal Employment�