Messaging a Partner on Linkedin

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 340547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Messaging a Partner on Linkedin

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 16, 2019 5:02 pm

Hey guys, I am in a strange situation. A couple of months back, a partner in another firm (who I've never met, don't know, etc.) added me on Linkedin after browsing my profile. Fast forward to now - I applied to an opening in this partner's office and messaged him my application, asking him if he could help me get a chance to talk with the group I applied for (he's a partner in a different group, same firm and same office).

He replied thank you for sharing and I'll get back to you. Now, it has been two weeks. I'm not sure how to remind him of this - I don't want to come across too pushy (I'm obviously not entitled to his help or attention) but I do think that if he somehow were to help me, it could move my application along. How should I proceed? Should I wait a bit more?

User avatar
LSATWiz.com

Partner
Posts: 701
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:37 pm

Re: Messaging a Partner on Linkedin

Postby LSATWiz.com » Thu May 16, 2019 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys, I am in a strange situation. A couple of months back, a partner in another firm (who I've never met, don't know, etc.) added me on Linkedin after browsing my profile. Fast forward to now - I applied to an opening in this partner's office and messaged him my application, asking him if he could help me get a chance to talk with the group I applied for (he's a partner in a different group, same firm and same office).

He replied thank you for sharing and I'll get back to you. Now, it has been two weeks. I'm not sure how to remind him of this - I don't want to come across too pushy (I'm obviously not entitled to his help or attention) but I do think that if he somehow were to help me, it could move my application along. How should I proceed? Should I wait a bit more?

That sounds pushy, seeing as you've never met. Others may have better insight though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 340547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Messaging a Partner on Linkedin

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 16, 2019 5:08 pm

LSATWiz.com wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys, I am in a strange situation. A couple of months back, a partner in another firm (who I've never met, don't know, etc.) added me on Linkedin after browsing my profile. Fast forward to now - I applied to an opening in this partner's office and messaged him my application, asking him if he could help me get a chance to talk with the group I applied for (he's a partner in a different group, same firm and same office).

He replied thank you for sharing and I'll get back to you. Now, it has been two weeks. I'm not sure how to remind him of this - I don't want to come across too pushy (I'm obviously not entitled to his help or attention) but I do think that if he somehow were to help me, it could move my application along. How should I proceed? Should I wait a bit more?

That sounds pushy, seeing as you've never met. Others may have better insight though.


Yeah, that's why I haven't done anything yet. I think the first message was already borderline too pushy and I don't think I'm entitled to his help or attention. So then do you think I should leave it be?

s1m4

Bronze
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:04 pm

Re: Messaging a Partner on Linkedin

Postby s1m4 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:07 pm

Just send him a gentle reminder (noting you thank him for his time etc...) I think in this situation the upside for you is so high that any potential annoyance to him would be well outweighed (especially if he added you on linkedin first). The upside is you get a job, the downside is a stranger you don't know thinks "ugh I can't believe this this ass**** followed up with me!) I see partners failing to get back to CLIENTS and clients following up; he likely just got busy and there is no shame in following up if he initially replied to you.

shock259

Gold
Posts: 1925
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Messaging a Partner on Linkedin

Postby shock259 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:25 pm

2 weeks seems fine, especially if that person has been responsive previously. I'm sure it's just sitting in a pile somewhere but think it's reasonable to reiterate interest after two weeks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 340547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Messaging a Partner on Linkedin

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 16, 2019 6:28 pm

How can I phrase the response? I know the odds are slim but it's possible that he's already helped move my application along. In which case, if I ask I might seem like I'm calling him out after he helped. Any thoughts?

Anonymous User
Posts: 340547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Messaging a Partner on Linkedin

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 16, 2019 7:38 pm

"Hi BLAH, hope you are well! Just wanted to follow up on my prior message and see if I can provide you with any other information regarding my candidacy. Have a great week!"

Anonymous User
Posts: 340547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Messaging a Partner on Linkedin

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 16, 2019 7:39 pm

I sent the message - I'll update how it goes, in case anyone finds my thread useful.

Anonymous User
Posts: 340547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Messaging a Partner on Linkedin

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:I sent the message - I'll update how it goes, in case anyone finds my thread useful.

How did it go?!

Anonymous User
Posts: 340547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Messaging a Partner on Linkedin

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I sent the message - I'll update how it goes, in case anyone finds my thread useful.

How did it go?!


He saw the message and didn't reply.

Anonymous User
Posts: 340547
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Messaging a Partner on Linkedin

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:24 pm

Wow, how sad. I’m sorry. Tough world. Planning on sending out some cold emails myself. I hope I get replies to them. :(

User avatar
UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze
Posts: 384
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:06 pm

Re: Messaging a Partner on Linkedin

Postby UnfrozenCaveman » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:42 pm

You sure it wasn't a fake account made to scrape info?

biglaw_advice

New
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:09 pm

Re: Messaging a Partner on Linkedin

Postby biglaw_advice » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I sent the message - I'll update how it goes, in case anyone finds my thread useful.

How did it go?!


He saw the message and didn't reply.


I think you did the right thing though - always good to reach out on the off chance that the partner responds with some good news. Pre-OCI rejection is the name of the game, better to try anyway.



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.