Practice areas that are the least “lifestyle” friendly? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Practice areas that are the least “lifestyle” friendly?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anybody know about antitrust, white collar, or IP?
Fields are overly broad -- at least antitrust and IP include transactional, regulatory, and litigation elements with different lifestyles.

per a good friend at Cleary DC doing antitrust: regulatory antitrust is pretty often a deal-flow practice, but DOJ/FTC/etc move at their own pace, so it's a race to submit ASAP and then dead time. Advantage though is that you're often dependent on outside experts (econ consultants, mostly) so you can reasonably often pull a 9-6 and log out for the day because you need to hear back from your experts before you can do more.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anybody know about antitrust, white collar, or IP?
In my experience, white collar includes *a lot* of hours, though a fair number of “easy hours” (ie, doc review, reading things to keep up with case, random tasks). I would say the number of fire drills varies a ton depending on the matter and the client.

You also have to do interview memos, which are the single worst task I've experienced in law, especially if you have a partner who wants them to be polished memos, rather than merely a good record of what happened in the interview.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rahulg91

Bronze

Post by rahulg91 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:41 pm

From what I've heard and seen: bankruptcy and real estate suck.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:58 pm

rahulg91 wrote:From what I've heard and seen: bankruptcy and real estate suck.
I'm curious if there is a big RE Dirt and RE Finance distinction here in terms of QOL.

goodkarma56

New

Post by goodkarma56 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:04 am

As a former M&A associate, I can say that M&A practice was not a very "lifestyle friendly" practice area. It was also very tedious work, IMHO.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”