Too Early to try to lateral to firm I previously summered at?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Too Early to try to lateral to firm I previously summered at?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:37 pm

I'm a first year associate at a firm in a secondary market (think Houston, Dallas or Atlanta). I spent parts of two summers at a different firm in my hometown. I now want to move back to my hometown because my parents are having some health issues. I'm thinking about reaching out to a partner at the firm I summered at to see if they are interested. After I informed this firm that I was going to the bigger firm, I was told to reach out if I was ever interested in coming back. However, I'm afraid reaching out now will make it look like I couldn't cut it in the larger market. Am I overthinking this or should I wait until I'm more senior to try to make this move?

Lacepiece23

Silver

Re: Too Early to try to lateral to firm I previously summered at?

Postby Lacepiece23 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:41 pm

Parents health is a pretty good reason. That’s some serious karma if not true. I think most reasonable people would take you at your word. I’d do it.

Return to “Legal Employment?