Did I Make the Right Decision?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
RutgersLaw17

New

Did I Make the Right Decision?

Postby RutgersLaw17 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:59 pm

Long Story Short,

I'm currently an Associate with a Small Firm (6 Attorneys) in a specialized field of Law. My Whole Resume is dedicated to one practice. Recently I wanted to make a transition as I've been at my firm for over a year and wanted to work somewhere where I could grow, as a small firm growth is limited.

Currently Making around $75k.

I recently had two Job Offer; one with a State Government Agency; offering in the $95k range, with 8 Weeks of Paid Time Off. Pension and all.

Second Offer was with another small firm offering $110k and Bonus. However a crappy PTO Plan (5 Days).

What's the Right Move? I feel like the State Agency is the better move due to prestige of the field I practice and better exit options compared to another small firm on my resume.

Any input would be great thanks!

QContinuum

Re: Did I Make the Right Decision?

Postby QContinuum » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:03 pm

I think you were right to choose the state government offer. The job security, lack of billables, 8 weeks (!) of PTO, and pension more than make up for the relatively small upfront pay differential*. Further, as you note, you already have small firm experience on your resume; adding a second firm doesn't add much (if any) value, whereas adding government service actually adds something different.

*In fact, the PTO differential itself accounts for 100% of the difference in base pay: Divide $95k by 44 weeks (52 weeks/year minus 8 weeks off) to figure your weekly salary of $2159 per week. Multiply that $2159/week by 51 weeks (the amount of time you'd work at the second small firm), and you get $110k. So the base salary is really the same between the two jobs when accounting for the PTO difference.

Congrats on the very solid offer and enjoy your new gig!

objctnyrhnr

Postby objctnyrhnr » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:04 pm

QContinuum wrote:I think you were right to choose the state government offer. The job security, lack of billables, 8 weeks (!) of PTO, and pension more than make up for the relatively small upfront pay differential*. Further, as you note, you already have small firm experience on your resume; adding a second firm doesn't add much (if any) value, whereas adding government service actually adds something different.

*In fact, the PTO differential itself accounts for 100% of the difference in base pay: Divide $95k by 44 weeks (52 weeks/year minus 8 weeks off), meaning you're getting paid $2159 per week. Multiply that $2195 per week by 51 weeks (the amount of time you'd work at the second small firm), and you get $110k. So the base salary is really the same between the two jobs when accounting for the PTO difference.

Congrats on the very solid offer and enjoy your new gig!

QCont with TCR as usual. I concur and for the same reasons.

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Postby JohnnieSockran » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:45 pm

I just feel like 8 weeks of PTO is so hard to pass on...you have to take that.

Not to mention, with 8 weeks of PTO you could start a small side hustle if you really want some of the extra cash that would've come with the firm job.

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:29 pm

8 weeks of PTO? That sounds heavenly. Jump on that.

Wubbles

Bronze

Postby Wubbles » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:01 pm

Yeah, this sounds like one of those unicorn jobs people go searching for. Best of luck!

Return to “Legal Employment�