firm noob here... how do offers work?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

firm noob here... how do offers work?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:10 am

I have several callback interviews coming up. Call me arrogant but I'm just anticipating a possible problem--if I get an offer, but my next interview is at least two weeks later....what do I do/say?!?! How do people handle telephonic offers? I would like to see a written term sheet or something beforehand so I can weigh my options but I know at least in the government, a written offer doesn't come until wayyyy later, which wouldn't work.
I'm not sure whether boutiques and firms give you time to accept..I know all firms though would want you to accept on the spot...help!

The interviews are with litigation boutiques and V20 big law firms.

maroon

New

Re: firm noob here... how do offers work?

Postby maroon » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:13 pm

I know all firms though would want you to accept on the spot...help!

This is incorrect. Just express your gratitude when they extend the offer over the phone. If you want, you can also say that you will get back to them as soon as possible but thank you for the news. The actual offer will be emailed to you, with details of pay, a deadline, etc. I haven't experienced an exploding telephone offer.

JHP

Bronze

Re: firm noob here... how do offers work?

Postby JHP » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have several callback interviews coming up. Call me arrogant but I'm just anticipating a possible problem--if I get an offer, but my next interview is at least two weeks later....what do I do/say?!?! How do people handle telephonic offers? I would like to see a written term sheet or something beforehand so I can weigh my options but I know at least in the government, a written offer doesn't come until wayyyy later, which wouldn't work.
I'm not sure whether boutiques and firms give you time to accept..I know all firms though would want you to accept on the spot...help!

The interviews are with litigation boutiques and V20 big law firms.

Seconding the poster above me--incorrect that "all firms" would want you to accept on the spot. I'm not sure what kind of firms you're interviewing at, but I definitely do not think it is typical in this day and age for firms to expect you to accept on the spot. As the poster above me said, express your gratitude, your excitement at the offer, say you'd love to be able to review the terms of the offer if they could send it to you in writing. The terms will likely state when you need to give them an answer by, but if it doesn't, just follow up and ask them when they need an answer by. Follow through with your other interviews. I don't think 2 weeks is too long, so if your initial offer says they want to hear from you in a week, tell them you'd love to have 3 weeks or so to consider your options

Return to “Legal Employment�