Going Away Party Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Associatingit

New

Going Away Party

Post by Associatingit » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:06 pm

Had a group breakfast where it was announced that An associate is leaving the firm to go in house. Partner demanded to know who was planning her going away party, then turned to the rest of us and said “Just so you know, if you leave and are not going to a potential client we are not having a party for you.”

I know this example is sorta silly, but how do people put up with the constant dehumanizing and straight exploitation these firms are putting us through? They literally have no regard for us as functioning human beings trying to live a life. Most other associates in my group seem to not be as bothered by it as I am, but their constant fear crouch whenever a partner is in the room is so pathetic. Like is everyone just putting in their time, does anyone have strategies for just getting through the day to day?

Anonesq

New

Re: Going Away Party

Post by Anonesq » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:35 pm

Associatingit wrote:Had a group breakfast where it was announced that An associate is leaving the firm to go in house. Partner demanded to know who was planning her going away party, then turned to the rest of us and said “Just so you know, if you leave and are not going to a potential client we are not having a party for you.”

I know this example is sorta silly, but how do people put up with the constant dehumanizing and straight exploitation these firms are putting us through? They literally have no regard for us as functioning human beings trying to live a life. Most other associates in my group seem to not be as bothered by it as I am, but their constant fear crouch whenever a partner is in the room is so pathetic. Like is everyone just putting in their time, does anyone have strategies for just getting through the day to day?

It’s called stashing money in your FU Fund....Lol. Just keep smiling as you collect your paycheck every two weeks.
Last edited by QContinuum on Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

ClubberLang

Bronze

Post by ClubberLang » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:37 pm

I don't see the connection between the party and exploitation. Literally the only reason they are celebrating the departure is because the departing associate will be a client and the partners will want to ingratiate themselves. They'd never have a going away party if the associate were leaving for a firm. The paychecks certainly make the inhumanity of it all more bearable.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:47 pm

Morale in our group is terrible right now. Recently, in a conversation about improving group morale, we were told that the group already does things to improve morale, like having going away parties for associates. That was a stunningly tone dead comment.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:48 pm

ClubberLang wrote:I don't see the connection between the party and exploitation. Literally the only reason they are celebrating the departure is because the departing associate will be a client and the partners will want to ingratiate themselves. They'd never have a going away party if the associate were leaving for a firm. The paychecks certainly make the inhumanity of it all more bearable.
Agree with the above. I don't think there's any issue with the firm wanting to go the extra mile for an associate going to a client vs. an associate going anywhere else. Why would a firm want to spend money throwing a party for a departing associate who's going to the competition?

Firms generally treat departing partners the same way, so it's not really a matter of associate exploitation. A partner going to a client or retiring gets a party, a partner lateraling to the competition doesn't.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Person1111

Bronze

Post by Person1111 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:59 pm

ClubberLang wrote:I don't see the connection between the party and exploitation. Literally the only reason they are celebrating the departure is because the departing associate will be a client and the partners will want to ingratiate themselves. They'd never have a going away party if the associate were leaving for a firm. The paychecks certainly make the inhumanity of it all more bearable.
We throw going-away events for associates going to other firms. It's short-sighted not to. Even if he or she is not a client, a former associate can still be a good referral source--but not if they leave the firm thinking that the partners were assholes.

The comparison to departing partners is not on point - partner movement typically occurs much more quickly and is much more fraught (since the partner will often take the firm's work with him/her).
Last edited by Person1111 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Post by JohnnieSockran » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:02 pm

Associatingit wrote:Had a group breakfast where it was announced that An associate is leaving the firm to go in house. Partner demanded to know who was planning her going away party, then turned to the rest of us and said “Just so you know, if you leave and are not going to a potential client we are not having a party for you.”

Unless your other examples are way less silly and much more egregious, I think you need to just cash your check and stop sweating the small stuff. We all knew what we signed up for, and they pay us handsomely for it.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:08 pm

hlsperson1111 wrote:We throw going-away events for associates going to other firms. It's short-sighted not to. Even if he or she is not a client, a former associate can still be a good referral source--but not if they leave the firm thinking that the partners were assholes.
That's great reasoning and I absolutely agree with it. I was just pointing out that, IMO, it's not unreasonable for firms to distinguish between the two scenarios (and as seen ITT, firms do actually draw that distinction in practice).
hlsperson1111 wrote:The comparison to departing partners is not on point - partner movement typically occurs much more quickly and is much more fraught (since the partner will often take the firm's work with him/her).
I agree partner departures raise additional/different issues, but I think it was on point to mention partner departures because the thread was talking about how "dehumanizing" it was for firms to not throw parties for departing associates. My point is that partners aren't treated any better, at least on this front.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:21 pm

it was most likely tongue in cheek (hopefully). but yes, even as a first year, I can recognize that people who go to potential clients are treated better than people who go to current clients, who are treated better than people who go to another firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:55 pm

I’ve heard a lot of anecdotes that serve as evidence that biglaw partners can be assholes and that biglaw can really suck. Honestly, though, this just isn’t one of them.

If it was a mediocre joke, okay. Fine, whatever. If he was serious, I can see how it makes sense but there are obviously arguments against this practice (parties for going away to potential clients but not for other destinations).

Either way I just really don’t think you should let this upset you TBH. If this is the worst you witness, you’re in a good shop IMO.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:48 pm

I was given a budget of $500 to throw a party/event when I left my former firm (a biglaw litigation firm in Los Angeles). No one planned it, so I had a blowout for some college friends at a hotel rooftop in DTLA, with no one from the firm in attendance. They still reimbursed it, every cent (I actually went above budget and shamelessly submitted it anyway). That was my FU, takin ‘er easy for all them sinners.

That partner sounds like a dick. Plenty of my friends who lateraled had going away parties.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was given a budget of $500 to throw a party/event when I left my former firm (a biglaw litigation firm in Los Angeles). No one planned it, so I had a blowout for some college friends at a hotel rooftop in DTLA, with no one from the firm in attendance. They still reimbursed it, every cent (I actually went above budget and shamelessly submitted it anyway). That was my FU, takin ‘er easy for all them sinners.

That partner sounds like a dick. Plenty of my friends who lateraled had going away parties.
Serious question: How'd you manage to rent a DTLA rooftop and have a "blowout" for $500 (okay, you went over, but I assume still within ~$600-700)? I thought those things were expensive!

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:36 pm

QContinuum wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was given a budget of $500 to throw a party/event when I left my former firm (a biglaw litigation firm in Los Angeles). No one planned it, so I had a blowout for some college friends at a hotel rooftop in DTLA, with no one from the firm in attendance. They still reimbursed it, every cent (I actually went above budget and shamelessly submitted it anyway). That was my FU, takin ‘er easy for all them sinners.

Serious question: How'd you manage to rent a DTLA rooftop and have a "blowout" for $500 (okay, you went over, but I assume still within ~$600-700)? I thought those things were expensive!
it sounds more like he bought his college buddies a bunch of drinks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:40 pm

1. Go to the Standard (or Pearch)

2. sit down

3. Order $500 worth of drinks

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Post by JohnnieSockran » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:44 pm

QContinuum wrote:

Yeah I don't think he said he "rented" out the rooftop, just went to a rooftop.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:10 pm

I’m the guy whose post is being overanalyzed

Yes I didn’t rent out Standard/Perch/ect. out (obviously), just ran up a big tab (at one of those or a similar place), mostly tequila.

abiglawyer

New

Post by abiglawyer » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:13 pm

OP, you're right to resent what the partner said. It's one thing to treat associates who are leaving for clients better than other departing associates; it's quite another to tell associates they're less valuable if they don't go to clients. The latter is insulting and belittling in the typical biglaw partner fashion. Those saying it doesn't matter are the associates whose bootlicking has become so reflexive and ingrained they can't bring themselves to start at the whip anymore. (These, of course, are the same associates who eventually make partner, and who therefore expect of their own associates the same kind of total evacuation of self, the worst of whom actually accomplish this, and therefore don't see the harm in doing it to *their* associates, ad nauseam.)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”