Lateral bonus negotiation

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateral bonus negotiation

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:46 pm

A partner wants me to follow him to his new firm. I’m considering it, but considering the process won’t be done until we’re almost halfway through the year, I have concerns about my bonus. I’m a 3rd year coming from a firm with (truly) no hours requirement for bonus. Everyone gets a bonus. New firm has an hours requirement, and given some planned vacations, I’m pretty certain I won’t hit even a reduced hours requirement. I’ll only go if I can get my full bonus guaranteed. I know others that have done this (and some surprisingly late in the year) but they were more senior. Is this a totally wacky, unreasonable ask? I figure I’m not using a recruiter, don’t have to take a new bar exam, etc. so on the whole it’s not terribly expensive compared to other laterals but not sure.

Yugihoe

Silver

Re: Lateral bonus negotiation

Postby Yugihoe » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:51 pm

Just tagging as I'm interested in hearing responses.

M458

Bronze

Postby M458 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:56 pm

Not an unreasonable ask at all. Recruiter fees are higher than a year-end bonus for a 3rd year associate, and in this instance the firm is getting a known commodity, given the partner has worked with you and specifically wants you to come over.

Talk with your partner - he/she should be able to look out for you (and maybe even get you a signing bonus in addition to the guaranteed market year-end bonus).

rowingmyboat

New

Postby rowingmyboat » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:32 pm

Yeah, this doesn't seem unreasonable to me at all. I've known a few folks that have successfully negotiated with a partner trying to bring them over, including someone getting their bonus paid out as a signing bonus. You've got more leverage than a normal lateral so they should be willing and able to work with you, and I imagine the partner will want to look out for you. If they really need you (say, its a niche practice area and the partner doesn't have other junior/midlevels trained), I've heard of some very good signing bonuses.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:08 pm

Thoughts on a signing bonus? Negotiate?

minnbills

Gold

Postby minnbills » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on a signing bonus? Negotiate?

You have no reason not to ask. Because you are coming from a firm that pays your bonus regardless, you should at a minimum get that guaranteed from your new firm to make this move. I would definitely ask for a singing bonus in addition.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:00 pm

Totally typical to request it as a signing bonus or a guaranteed annual bonus regardless of hours. I've been in the same situation and know others who have too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:52 pm

Op here. Any idea of what’s a reasonable ask for a signing bonus?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:17 am

Op here. Bump for thoughts and to complain how long this is taking. I cleared conflicts a couple weeks ago, been having discussions for a while and still no offer letter. I want to give notice :lol:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:58 am

Bumping, as I'm curious what OP ended up with bonus-wise, if anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:23 am

OP here - full annual bonus with no hours requirement and a small signing bonus.

Return to “Legal Employment?