What should I ask a partner during coffee? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What should I ask a partner during coffee?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:03 pm

I'm a 2L about to be a summer associate. I am getting coffee with one of the partners in my practice group next week. What should I ask them? I have to choose between two groups by the end of the summer, so questions geared around making that decision without being rude would be best.

Count1234

New

Re: What should I ask a partner during coffee?

Post by Count1234 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:32 pm

Are you curious about anything in that partner's practice group? I would start with that. If you're honestly not even a little curious about the practice group and have even some questions, I think that's an indicator that you're not really that interested in that area. Find another passion.

If all else fails, I usually ask about:
- What kind of team are you looking to build in your practice group? How do you see my role in that?
- How is work assigned?
- What do you love about this practice area? What do you dislike?
- Why did you choose this practice group?
- Ask about a substantive thing they're doing (e.g. I see that you're working on X. Can you tell me more about that, and whether this is work that is typical of your practice group?)
Last edited by QContinuum on Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Outed for anon abuse.

strawberrieee

Bronze

Re: What should I ask a partner during coffee?

Post by strawberrieee » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:20 am

I would honestly tell him that you're torn between two practice groups, and would like his advice on how to make a decision. Ask him the main differences between his group and the other one. There is nothing wrong with having interest in more than one practice group.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”