Is a muscle car a no-go?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is a muscle car a no-go?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:48 pm

I work in a satellite office of a big firm, and we are in a warm climate pretty much year round. I was considering purchasing the new Ford Mustang Shelby GT500, and because of the climate here, I would be able to daily drive it (it would be my only vehicle, aside from my wife's car).

So, would I look like a super douche if partners or other associates saw me getting out of this car at the office, or worse, if I drove it to an off-site work event where I have to valet the car in front of everyone else at the event? The exhaust has different modes, but I assume it will still be pretty loud even in "quiet" mode, and mustangs just don't really look like the typical car for a biglaw attorney.

So, is it douchey and I should get something normal like a 5-series BMW, or am I overthinking this?

s1m4

Bronze

Re: Is a muscle car a no-go?

Postby s1m4 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:58 pm

I don't know, I think this is totally dependent on your personality and how you carry it... don't think its douchey and I see a lot of people drive sports cars, exotic cars etc... that being said, I'm a car guy and I totally understand you. I bought a very nice car and it was always awkward (as a junior) when I would park next to a partner with likely a $1M book of business and years of experience driving an old toyota and we would walk to the parking lot together and I would get into my amazing car and he would get into his toyota at the same time (which I respect, I'm just a car guy so I like/value great cars more than normal people).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:15 pm

s1m4 wrote:I don't know, I think this is totally dependent on your personality and how you carry it... don't think its douchey and I see a lot of people drive sports cars, exotic cars etc... that being said, I'm a car guy and I totally understand you. I bought a very nice car and it was always awkward (as a junior) when I would park next to a partner with likely a $1M book of business and years of experience driving an old toyota and we would walk to the parking lot together and I would get into my amazing car and he would get into his toyota at the same time (which I respect, I'm just a car guy so I like/value great cars more than normal people).

OP here--yes this is exactly me, and why I'm concerned. Not a junior associate, but just very into cars and it's the main thing I like to spend money on. Thanks for your advice, glad to know I'm not the only one.

albanach

Gold

Postby albanach » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:27 pm

Obviously you should buy used, and get a manual transmission. Then you need never worry about valeting the car, since the valet wouldn't get more than 50 yards before stalling.

BansheeScream

New

Postby BansheeScream » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:42 pm

I'm a car guy as well but I feel like you will definitely catch some judgement for having a $70k muscle car as your daily driver. I think that if you had a standard used sedan as your daily driver but had the muscle car as a hobby car, no one would think twice. But there's just something about driving a borderline race car (with a slightly trashy reputation) that may cause people to scoff at your judgment. Financially, environmentally, and practically. Seems strange to put commuting miles on a car like that. Likely also depends on your firm culture.

With that said, if you don't care what snobby people think, by all means you should go for it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:50 pm

BansheeScream wrote:I'm a car guy as well but I feel like you will definitely catch some judgement for having a $70k muscle car as your daily driver. I think that if you had a standard used sedan as your daily driver but had the muscle car as a hobby car, no one would think twice. But there's just something about driving a borderline race car (with a slightly trashy reputation) that may cause people to scoff at your judgment. Financially, environmentally, and practically. Seems strange to put commuting miles on a car like that. Likely also depends on your firm culture.

With that said, if you don't care what snobby people think, by all means you should go for it.

People come to the office at all different times, so it's not like I'd see people in my car on a daily basis. And I only live about 5 miles from the office, so I wouldn't be putting that many commuting miles on it. There are partners at other firms in my building that drive McLarens and Lamborghini's to work on a daily basis--it's fairly common here because of the weather.

dabigchina

Gold

Postby dabigchina » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:57 pm

I'm just a junior, but I feel like as long as you don't go peeling out of the parking lot every single day, it should be fine. A GT 500 looks relatively sedate and most non-car people would have trouble picking it out from a regular GT/ecoboost, which is hardly considered an exotic.

That being said, I have no idea how loud the thing is.

I would be more concerned about how tedious it would be to daily drive something that aggressively tuned.

Wubbles

Bronze

Postby Wubbles » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:07 pm

If people are driving McLarens and Lambos I think you're definitely fine with the Mustang

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:13 pm

There is someone at my firm who bought a Porsche during his first year. Whether or not it is deserved, ppl definetly lol at him behind his back.

JohnnieSockran

Bronze

Postby JohnnieSockran » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There is someone at my firm who bought a Porsche during his first year. Whether or not it is deserved, ppl definetly lol at him behind his back.

Wow, I'm jealous. What model? If some level of the 911, I could see the whispers happening if everyone knew about it. I'm sure a first year could probably get by with like a Macan without turning many heads (they start at like $55k, but you still technically drive Porsche).

I've been at my firm a few years, and I don't think hardly anyone knows what I drive, except the few people at work that I'm friends with because we occasionally go to lunch or hangout on weekends.

thatlawlkid

Gold

Postby thatlawlkid » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:19 pm

Wubbles wrote:If people are driving McLarens and Lambos I think you're definitely fine with the Mustang

yeah this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:50 pm

A second-year associate at my office drives a 7 series (M760i) and people talk about it. People don’t really say anything negative, but just like to point out he drives a $150k car

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:51 pm

You're massively overthinking this. Personally, splurging for a nice/fast car as a junior was one of my biggest regrets, and I course corrected on my subsequent vehicle; however, if it brings joy to you, that's really all that should matter independent of any financial considerations.

Who the hell cares what partners or other associates think about what you choose to use as your daily driver?

KunAgnis

Bronze

Postby KunAgnis » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:02 pm

While I'm not too familiar with the firm culture at your office, OP, I'd like to think that if your officemates gossiped about you driving a GT 500, when there are McLarens, Lamborghinis, and potentially other luxury cars at your office, then they would probably gossip/talk about anything. Seriously, I don't think it's a huge deal and I don't think you should curb your enthusiasm/passion just for that reason. I might have said otherwise if it's a controversial issue (like a very visible tattoo or w/e) given that we work in a conservative industry, but I think this sounds fine. Enjoy your GT 500, OP.

hlsperson1111

Bronze

Postby hlsperson1111 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:15 pm

I would never buy a car new (let alone that one) but I think it’s fine. There are cars that would make me question a young associate’s taste/judgment (a Ferrari, a Lamborghini, high end Benz/BMW/Porsche (like an i8 or a G wagon or the like), etc.). This, by contrast, is fine and is obviously something you own bc you’re a car enthusiast and not because you want to show off $$$.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I work in a satellite office of a big firm, and we are in a warm climate pretty much year round. I was considering purchasing the new Ford Mustang Shelby GT500, and because of the climate here, I would be able to daily drive it (it would be my only vehicle, aside from my wife's car).

So, would I look like a super douche if partners or other associates saw me getting out of this car at the office, or worse, if I drove it to an off-site work event where I have to valet the car in front of everyone else at the event? The exhaust has different modes, but I assume it will still be pretty loud even in "quiet" mode, and mustangs just don't really look like the typical car for a biglaw attorney.

So, is it douchey and I should get something normal like a 5-series BMW, or am I overthinking this?

Why would this be a problem? Ford Engineers are some of the best in the motor racing business, from F1 to Le Mans to NASCAR, they've won it all. BMW has not done this. :roll:

If they don't get it, explain to them who Hau Thai-Tang and Jamal Hameedi are. It's their ignorance, not yours.

BansheeScream wrote:I'm a car guy as well but I feel like you will definitely catch some judgement for having a $70k muscle car as your daily driver. I think that if you had a standard used sedan as your daily driver but had the muscle car as a hobby car, no one would think twice. But there's just something about driving a borderline race car (with a slightly trashy reputation) that may cause people to scoff at your judgment. Financially, environmentally, and practically. Seems strange to put commuting miles on a car like that. Likely also depends on your firm culture.

Why would it be strange to put "commuting miles" on a Mustang? Mustangs were originally designed to be sports cars with everyday convenience in mind. Hence the 4 seats and large trunk space, as opposed to other two seater sports cars you see from competitors.

IMO though, OP should get a Camaro ZL-1 imo, better value. Or a Nissan GT-R (same price but you rarely see them around, they're truly niche. Whereas you see a lot of Mustangs). Shelby's a great choice if you're going to actually race it or track it. But the GT-R is one of the last true, good Japanese race cars left.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

jkpolk

Silver

Postby jkpolk » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:36 pm

I am an associate, I commute in an obnoxious car, and it's fucking amazing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:53 pm

I think the better calculus is: how much happier will this make you versus how much do you value the cost to your perception at work? It seems to me that driving that thing every day will make you MUCH happier. If that's the case, even if there is some small cost to you at work (lawyers are extremely judgment people, so there might be), why is this even a question? Someone I know at my firm is a relatively junior associate and drives a 7-series. So what? It makes him very happy. It's the same question with like, watches: maybe some people will judge you for wearing a Patek or Lange, but that is far exceeded by the joy the wearer feels every time s/he looks at it. You do you.

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:08 pm

jkpolk wrote:I am an associate, I commute in an obnoxious car, and it's fucking amazing.

This. It's your life. Enjoy it. I was driving a $100,000+ sports car as a summer. The worst I got was some good-natured ribbing from associates and partners. If you are chill and can roll with the punches, nobody will care.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:I think the better calculus is: how much happier will this make you versus how much do you value the cost to your perception at work? It seems to me that driving that thing every day will make you MUCH happier. If that's the case, even if there is some small cost to you at work (lawyers are extremely judgment people, so there might be), why is this even a question? Someone I know at my firm is a relatively junior associate and drives a 7-series. So what? It makes him very happy. It's the same question with like, watches: maybe some people will judge you for wearing a Patek or Lange, but that is far exceeded by the joy the wearer feels every time s/he looks at it. You do you.

I live in Vancouver, Canada (basically a retirement community for Crazy Rich Asians). There are bank tellers and retail workers at the mall that drive in with Maybachs, McLarens, Lamborghinis. I worked with a CIBC teller when in college, he came to work everyday in a Lamborghini. They didn't care about perception at all, why let other people's ignorance control something you enjoy.

BeeTeeZ

Bronze

Postby BeeTeeZ » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:I work in a satellite office of a big firm, and we are in a warm climate pretty much year round. I was considering purchasing the new Ford Mustang Shelby GT500, and because of the climate here, I would be able to daily drive it (it would be my only vehicle, aside from my wife's car).

So, would I look like a super douche if partners or other associates saw me getting out of this car at the office, or worse, if I drove it to an off-site work event where I have to valet the car in front of everyone else at the event?

That car goes 0-60 in the mid 3's and a quarter mile in under 11. If anything people will bug you for joy rides.

acr

Silver

Postby acr » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:57 am

Wow. You're really worried about what your colleagues will think about your personal choice for a car? That's way too much of a sacrifice to make for any job. Individuality and personal expression are allowed even if you're in the legal profession, you know. Stop living in a fantasy land.

icansortofmath

Bronze

Postby icansortofmath » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:49 am

70k car on a 200k salary is well within reasonable ranges for a single guy. Seriously nobody cares and it’s a good conversation starter with other car lovers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:18 am

If you are worried about looking like a douche in any situation, then dont drive a Mustang Shelby. There is nothing special to law firms about this question.

pfunkera

Bronze

Postby pfunkera » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:01 am

I would be more worried about the dealer markup on the new GT500 (>$20K) than what others think. I bet the out the door price will be roughly $100K for a Mustang. I love Mustangs, but that is crazy.

Return to “Legal Employment?