Leaving Two Months After Lateral

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Leaving Two Months After Lateral

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:09 pm

I made a lateral move to another firm about two months ago. Wasn't happy at my old firm, thought it might just be the firm. Turns out it's just biglaw. Feel like I need to get out ASAP... does anyone have experience moving very soon after lateral? Not sure how I would spin it in interviews. Making it a year here is out of the question. If it's relevant I'm a midlevel year attorney. Thanks for feedback.

Sprinkler

New

Re: Leaving Two Months After Lateral

Postby Sprinkler » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:11 pm

It happens. Just make sure you get the next one right.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:12 pm

I’m in the same boat. My plan is to pack up and move out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I made a lateral move to another firm about two months ago. Wasn't happy at my old firm, thought it might just be the firm. Turns out it's just biglaw. Feel like I need to get out ASAP... does anyone have experience moving very soon after lateral? Not sure how I would spin it in interviews. Making it a year here is out of the question. If it's relevant I'm a midlevel year attorney. Thanks for feedback.

I posted something similar in another thread, but I lateraled to big firm from a small one and after 3 months I started shooting out apps to federal agencies. I landed an interview after month 5 and now work at that agency. When asked why I wanted to leave so quickly, I explained why the law firm world wasn’t for me. My agency was full of biglaw refugees, so they all got it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I made a lateral move to another firm about two months ago. Wasn't happy at my old firm, thought it might just be the firm. Turns out it's just biglaw. Feel like I need to get out ASAP... does anyone have experience moving very soon after lateral? Not sure how I would spin it in interviews. Making it a year here is out of the question. If it's relevant I'm a midlevel year attorney. Thanks for feedback.

Same boat here. I knew I needed to get out 1-2 months, but somehow lasted an entire year so far--honestly I live day by day since the end of last summer, and just try to make it to the next paycheck.

I'm DONE with biglaw and probably the law in general but still have significant debt to pay off. I've interviewed for a large number of in house positions over the past year, but turned them down b/c I have been extremely selective given my awful lateral/biglaw experience and the fear it's just going to be as bad as this but with less money. I've had good success spinning my story that "in-house was always the path for me" tied to my rehearsed in-house pitch and sold my short time as me loving the firm but not being able to pass up this "incredible in-house opportunity". Seems to have worked so far based on decent interview success ratio.

I've noticed I've been the least stressed whenever I have a back-up option/offer in my pocket, which has helped get through the year, if that helps.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Same boat here. I knew I needed to get out 1-2 months, but somehow lasted an entire year so far--honestly I live day by day since the end of last summer, and just try to make it to the next paycheck.

I'm DONE with biglaw and probably the law in general but still have significant debt to pay off. I've interviewed for a large number of in house positions over the past year, but turned them down b/c I have been extremely selective given my awful lateral/biglaw experience and the fear it's just going to be as bad as this but with less money. I've had good success spinning my story that "in-house was always the path for me" tied to my rehearsed in-house pitch and sold my short time as me loving the firm but not being able to pass up this "incredible in-house opportunity". Seems to have worked so far based on decent interview success ratio.

I've noticed I've been the least stressed whenever I have a back-up option/offer in my pocket, which has helped get through the year, if that helps.

How long were you at your first job before lateraling to the current big law firm? I haven't made any lateral moves yet, but 1.8 months into big law an I, too, live day-by-day until paychecks. I'm still undecided if I want to try one more law firm before in-house, but my strategy is to say at my current firm until they give me the talk. Hoping to make it through August to hit the 2 year mark and even more hopefully through January to hit the 2.5 year mark and snag a final bonus.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:04 am

I had some interviews in a similar situation. I explained that, although I had recently lateralled due to [understandable reason that was somewhat time sensitive], I really wanted to make [big shift] and couldn't pass up the opportunity to apply to [big shift opportunity] even though I'd just started at [new firm]. It helps if you can point to a necessary geographic switch or a big partner departure or something like that to explain why you had to take a second firm job rather than wait around and make the jump from your initial firm. If you can't point to a good reason, honesty isn't necessarily the worst option, as long as you can convince the interviewer that you'll actually be happy in the new spot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:05 pm

I think the key is not getting in your head. People get it — sometimes places don’t work out. But I think self honesty is useful — what questions would you have? Warning signs? How can you assuage? I left my new firm after a few months but basically just said I thought this firm was a way better fit and would have chosen it had they been hiring when I initially looked to move.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Legal Employment?