West Michigan Firms Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

West Michigan Firms

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:00 pm

Fifth year corporate associate at a V100 in a major market considering attempting to lateral back home to Grand Rapids, MI area. There is not much information easily available on firms in that area (e.g., Varnum, Warner, etc.). Looking for salaries information beyond first year, difficulty of lateraling, etc. Thanks for any information or antidotes you may have.

Anonguy715

New

Re: West Michigan Firms

Post by Anonguy715 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:12 am

I don't have any info on salaries beyond first year, but I've anecdotally heard that they're a bit below what the Detroit market pays. As for other information, I've also heard that they highly value people who are actually from the area. I remember when I was in law school they were skeptical as to why I wanted to move out to GR, and I grew up in metro Detroit. If GR is home for you, you should definitely have a leg up in lateraling. With that being said, there just isn't much corporate work on the west side of the state. Going from "major market" type work to small market work will be a big adjustment.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:53 pm

Anonguy715 wrote:I don't have any info on salaries beyond first year, but I've anecdotally heard that they're a bit below what the Detroit market pays. As for other information, I've also heard that they highly value people who are actually from the area. I remember when I was in law school they were skeptical as to why I wanted to move out to GR, and I grew up in metro Detroit. If GR is home for you, you should definitely have a leg up in lateraling. With that being said, there just isn't much corporate work on the west side of the state. Going from "major market" type work to small market work will be a big adjustment.
Got it. Thanks for the response. I was guessing most of the corporate work there would be health care related. What kind of salary increases are market for Detroit?

Anonguy715

New

Post by Anonguy715 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonguy715 wrote:I don't have any info on salaries beyond first year, but I've anecdotally heard that they're a bit below what the Detroit market pays. As for other information, I've also heard that they highly value people who are actually from the area. I remember when I was in law school they were skeptical as to why I wanted to move out to GR, and I grew up in metro Detroit. If GR is home for you, you should definitely have a leg up in lateraling. With that being said, there just isn't much corporate work on the west side of the state. Going from "major market" type work to small market work will be a big adjustment.
Got it. Thanks for the response. I was guessing most of the corporate work there would be health care related. What kind of salary increases are market for Detroit?
Here's Honigman's compensation: https://www.honigman.com/careers-studen ... efits.html.

Keep in mind, Honigman pays substantially more than everyone else in the Detroit market. Anecdotally, a friend of mine had a first year salary of 115k at Miller Canfield a few years back. Not sure what his exact salary progression has been. From what I've heard from friends, most of the other big Detroit firms start you at 105-120k, with pretty modest increases year to year.

Johnnybgoode92

Silver

Post by Johnnybgoode92 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:11 pm

Really tough market to get in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”