State taxes for D.C. summer income

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

State taxes for D.C. summer income

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:58 pm

I summered in DC at a firm for a 6 weeks this summer and did not have any state income tax withheld. How much in state income taxes (paid to my home state) can I expect to pay for these 6 weeks (I made around $18k)? My accountant came up with $3,500, which I think is excessive considering that I made the same amount in NY/CA and only paid $600 in state income tax to NY/CA.

If anyone has summered in DC and doesn't mind sharing how much they ended up paying in state income taxes in their home state, I'd really appreciate it.

Edit: Here's more information:

I made $50k total for 2018 ($18k while working in DC, $18k in state X, $14k in state Y). I live in state Z.
I already paid $800 in state taxes to state X for the $18k income and $600 in state taxes to state Y for the $14k income.

My accountant says that I need to report $50k--not just the $18k I made in DC and didn't pay state taxes for, but my entire income of $50k--to my home state (state Z) and pay $3,500. I find this problematic because that means that I'm paying DOUBLE state income taxes since I already paid my fair share to state X and state Y. Yet, state Z is still taxing me on all of my income, including the income that I made in states X and Y.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Re: State taxes for D.C. summer income

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:25 am

I’m pretty sure you don’t owe DC a dime of income tax if you don’t live there for at least 183 days out of the year, so long as you maintain a permanent residence/domicile elsewhere in the US.

Edit: I see you mention “paid to my home state” which makes me think you’re asking how much income tax you will owe to your home state, the name of which you do not mention. Obviously, that question is impossible to answer without that piece of information. But it shouldn’t be difficult to track down your state’s rates and do some quick math to estimate. $3500 on $18000 seems way too high to me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:I’m pretty sure you don’t owe DC a dime of income tax if you don’t live there for at least 183 days out of the year, so long as you maintain a permanent residence/domicile elsewhere in the US.

Edit: I see you mention “paid to my home state” which makes me think you’re asking how much income tax you will owe to your home state, the name of which you do not mention. Obviously, that question is impossible to answer without that piece of information. But it shouldn’t be difficult to track down your state’s rates and do some quick math to estimate. $3500 on $18000 seems way too high to me.

Thanks for the response. Here's more information:

I made $50k total for 2018 ($18k while working in DC, $18k in state X, $14k in state Y). I live in state Z.
I already paid $800 in state taxes to state X for the $18k income and $600 in state taxes to state Y for the $14k income.

My accountant says that I need to report $50k--not just the $18k I made in DC and didn't pay state taxes for, but my entire income of $50k--to my home state (state Z) and pay $3,500. I find this problematic because that means that I'm paying DOUBLE state income taxes since I already paid my fair share to state X and state Y. Yet, state Z is still taxing me on all of my income, including the income that I made in states X and Y.

Hstrat

Bronze

Postby Hstrat » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I’m pretty sure you don’t owe DC a dime of income tax if you don’t live there for at least 183 days out of the year, so long as you maintain a permanent residence/domicile elsewhere in the US.

Thanks for the response. Here's more information:

You are required to report all income that you have earned to the state in which you are filing - including income that you have been/are being taxed on in other states. However, many (but not all, IIRC) states will credit you the amount you paid in state income taxes to another state.

Return to “Legal Employment?