Tell Other Firms Of My Lateral Offer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Tell Other Firms Of My Lateral Offer

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:46 pm

I have a lateral offer from a firm and another final tomorrow at a firm and had a promising interview at another firm, but they want additional interviews most likely. Should I tell the other firms of my offer and how do I tell the firm w/ the current offer that I might need time to decide without sounding disinterested.

Guchster

Silver

Re: Tell Other Firms Of My Lateral Offer

Post by Guchster » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a lateral offer from a firm and another final tomorrow at a firm and had a promising interview at another firm, but they want additional interviews most likely. Should I tell the other firms of my offer and how do I tell the firm w/ the current offer that I might need time to decide without sounding disinterested.
I would only tell the other firms of my offer if you have an exploding offer or timing pressure that needs to expedite this process.

For your current offer, I assume you have an exploding deadline/offer and that's the reason you feel you need to communicate your other interviews/opportunities.The firm's recruitment contact will understand--this happens all the time. Emphasize that you're excited about the offer and that you're currently in the process of interviewing with other firms and be upfront with what you're asking for. If you have ideas on timing (2-3 weeks versus a month), discuss it with them. They'll be upfront with you about their timing needs, so return the favor.

This isn't a monogamous relationship. I would hope a lateral candidate is entertaining multiple offers and doing their diligence on the right next steps. Both you and the firm will regret if you just jump into this opportunity without weighing all of your options on the table and potential opportunities.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:30 pm

Not OP, but I'm in a very similar situation. I have an offer that I've been sitting on for a week and a half (no formal deadline, but the firm is applying some pressure). I had a callback at another firm 2 weeks ago, and it's been radio silence since. I'm tempted to reach out and let them know of the offer and reiterate my interest, but I'm also concerned that doing so will just get me a rejection. Has anyone gotten a positive result doing this?

I also have several more interviews lined up next week, and a firm that is probably my top choice just reached out to me about an interview yesterday. It's a little frustrating because I really would like to make a move ASAP due to personal reasons (relocating), seniority, and the health of my practice group at my firm, so don't want to let my offer, which is a good one, expire, but firms are all on different timelines, and of course the slowest are my favorites.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not OP, but I'm in a very similar situation. I have an offer that I've been sitting on for a week and a half (no formal deadline, but the firm is applying some pressure). I had a callback at another firm 2 weeks ago, and it's been radio silence since. I'm tempted to reach out and let them know of the offer and reiterate my interest, but I'm also concerned that doing so will just get me a rejection. Has anyone gotten a positive result doing this?

I also have several more interviews lined up next week, and a firm that is probably my top choice just reached out to me about an interview yesterday. It's a little frustrating because I really would like to make a move ASAP due to personal reasons (relocating), seniority, and the health of my practice group at my firm, so don't want to let my offer, which is a good one, expire, but firms are all on different timelines, and of course the slowest are my favorites.
I would take the offer and not look back. You realistically don’t have enough time to wait for your top choice. And, as a lot of us lateraling associates know, it’s not as easy to get a lateral offer as it is an SA offer.

I went 1 for 8 or something in my lateral search. I had 3 or so interviews remaining, but I just accepted my offer because I didn’t want to risk it.

You’ve already waited almost 2 weeks (which is usually the amount of times firms give for a response). You could ask for an extension on Monday, but it still probably won’t give you enough time.

And I think your fear is right (that you may get a ding if you ask for a quick response). When hiring for summers, firms are more receptive to acting quickly. But I think in lateral searches, firms will want to interview as many people as possible UNLESS they absolutely love the interviewee because they don’t want to make a mistake they are stuck with for a while.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not OP, but I'm in a very similar situation. I have an offer that I've been sitting on for a week and a half (no formal deadline, but the firm is applying some pressure). I had a callback at another firm 2 weeks ago, and it's been radio silence since. I'm tempted to reach out and let them know of the offer and reiterate my interest, but I'm also concerned that doing so will just get me a rejection. Has anyone gotten a positive result doing this?

If reaching out to the firm you’re waiting to hear from ends up in a rejection, they were unlikely to hire you anyway. I would tell them because you have to take the offer you have in hand unless they can decide. If they loved you they could make up their mind quickly. But if they are unsure, they will need to discuss it.
Personally, I would take the offer I have but at least check in with the other firm before you accept.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:25 pm

OP here - My current offer is giving me 2 weeks to make a decision so hopefully I can get this wrapped up within that time frame.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I would take the offer and not look back. You realistically don’t have enough time
I went 1 for 8 or something in my lateral search. I had 3 or so interviews remaining, but I just accepted my offer because I didn’t want to risk it.
To clarify, 1 for 8 on applications, or 1 for 8 on final round interviews/offered final round interviews? Is likelihood of getting the offer at the end of the interview process that low?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I would take the offer and not look back. You realistically don’t have enough time
To clarify, 1 for 8 on applications, or 1 for 8 on final round interviews/offered final round interviews? Is likelihood of getting the offer at the end of the interview process that low?
Final round interviews. To be fair, though, 3 told me from the outset that they probably didn’t have the budget to fit me into the team during the fiscal year. 2 liked me, but hiring needs changed (they still haven’t hired anyone, so I tend to believe them). The others didn’t like me too much (wasn’t the right fit). I used a recruiter so I was able to get some better answers.

I was interviewing for a niche practice, so it may be completely different for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”