Tell Headhunter You Already Applied There Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Tell Headhunter You Already Applied There

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:59 pm

If a recruiter/headhunter you talked to in the past tells you about a position and you already applied there, would you tell the recruiter that you already applied there or would you just pretend you are not interested? I am generally not keen on telling recruiters where I have active applications, especially if I interviewed at a specific firm and are under consideration.

Silver

Re: Tell Headhunter You Already Applied There

Post by 2013 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:52 am

The recruiter probably won’t care if you self applied. I don’t know why you’d want to keep it a secret, but it’s your choice I guess.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:34 am

I am paranoid that the recruiter might sabotage or interfere with my application in some sort of way. It might sound irrational, but people are shady.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:04 am

I have. The recruiters have immediately backed off and focused on other firms. No interference at all.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:50 pm

I had a recruiter throw a bitch fit and hang up on me/drop me as a client when I told them I already applied. But no big loss there.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If a recruiter/headhunter you talked to in the past tells you about a position and you already applied there, would you tell the recruiter that you already applied there or would you just pretend you are not interested? I am generally not keen on telling recruiters where I have active applications, especially if I interviewed at a specific firm and are under consideration.
I would say you've heard about the opportunity so there isn't a dispute later on whether the recruiter steered you to the position--it also will signal to the recruiter that they need to pitch/find you other options. It probably doesn't affect you directly, but might save HR/firm's recruiting contact (along with the actual recruiter) a headache down the road, if there is a dispute regarding the recruiter's involvement and whether they are entitled to any compensation. I wouldn't lie and say you're not interested if you already applied--that only feeds into an aggressive headhunter's story that they helped "recruit you" for the position. I don't think you need to say that you've already applied.

It would be a HUGE mark on the recruiter's reputation (and possibly lead to some liability) if they tried to interfere with you getting the job. Chances are they do repeat business with the firm, and if firms/candidates got wind of their petty, unprofessional meddling, it would not be a cute look for the recruiter (or their search firm) down the road. This reputational fear is what keeps them in order regarding things like confidentiality.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”