How Strict are Law Firms Regarding Experience Requirements for Laterals? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How Strict are Law Firms Regarding Experience Requirements for Laterals?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:25 pm

As the title says, how strict are big law firms with regards to experience requirements? There are some openings I see that ask for one year of experience minimum. I have been working for 5 months now, but I do feel like I could consider my internships as experience too, which would put me around a year.

Could anyone shed light on this? It's a generic question but I'd rather not jeopardize my chances or my current career with a poorly-timed application. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Silver

Re: How Strict are Law Firms Regarding Experience Requirements for Laterals?

Post by 2013 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:40 pm

You can’t count your internship experience.

Also, a lot of jobs that are 1-3 years are usually looking for closer to 3 years.

5 months is realistically not enough experience to get an interview unless you have past experience pre-law school in that field or you have some other compelling reason for being a stellar candidate.

Additionally, if you’re currently not at a biglaw firm, it’ll be even harder to lateral this early in your career.

I don’t think it’ll hurt to try unless you’re afraid of your current firm finding out (not that likely), but don’t apply thinking you will get an interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:52 pm

So, if the listed range is 2-5 years, someone who is a stub year looking to lateral has no shot?

Silver

Post by 2013 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, if the listed range is 2-5 years, someone who is a stub year looking to lateral has no shot?
Never say never, but highly unlikely. A firm looking for 2-5 years is going to be looking for someone who has substantial experience doing junior level work, and someone who can or is already managing lower level associates.

Depending on how busy the group is, though, they may hire you into a group as a first year. I know that my firm regularly interviews first years for positions wanting 3-4 years in busier practice groups.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:09 am

2013 wrote:You can’t count your internship experience.

Also, a lot of jobs that are 1-3 years are usually looking for closer to 3 years.

5 months is realistically not enough experience to get an interview unless you have past experience pre-law school in that field or you have some other compelling reason for being a stellar candidate.
The postings I have seen list 1 year as the requirement, not 1-3 years. Could that skew the odds in my favor? It seems that you have a lot of insight into what the firms are looking for - what kind of skills would they be looking for to hire a candidate with one year of experience?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Silver

Post by 2013 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
2013 wrote:You can’t count your internship experience.

The postings I have seen list 1 year as the requirement, not 1-3 years. Could that skew the odds in my favor? It seems that you have a lot of insight into what the firms are looking for - what kind of skills would they be looking for to hire a candidate with one year of experience?
I don’t have that much insight. My mentor is on our hiring committee and we talk about that stuff sometimes because I’m generally curious about recruiting.

You should just apply. The worst that could happen is that they say no.

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:37 am

How strict they are depends on how desperate they are for candidates. If they entire department is swamped and just looking for warm bodies, that's a very different situation from a firm looking to replace the unique skills of a specific go-to associate. Worst they can say is no, though it's generally better to wait until you have a few years experience before attempting to lateral unless you are in a truly awful situation. You need a compelling story for why you want to leave after five months.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”