Exit from NYC M&A to Investment Bank? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bananasfloat

New

Exit from NYC M&A to Investment Bank?

Post by bananasfloat » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:21 pm

Anyone with any experience or insight on exiting from the corp group at a Latham/K&E/Weil to an Investment bank? Does this happen often? What are the pros and cons of such a move?

QContinuum

Re: Exit from NYC M&A to Investment Bank?

Post by QContinuum » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:35 pm

To clarify, are you looking to join the in-house legal department at an i-bank, or are you looking to become a banker? The former is common; the latter is decidedly uncommon and will be much tougher.

bananasfloat

New

Post by bananasfloat » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:59 pm

QContinuum wrote:To clarify, are you looking to join the in-house legal department at an i-bank, or are you looking to become a banker? The former is common; the latter is decidedly uncommon and will be much tougher.
considering both options, but am more curious about the pros and cons of a move banking (if this is even possible). Just looking for insight from those who have considered, tried, succeeded, failed, or knows of someone who has and can share some anecdotes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:26 pm

Worked at one of the big investment banks before law school. Fair number of the senior investment bankers were former lawyers from your Cravaths, S&Cs, and we hired JD-MBAs into associate roles fairly regularly just through the typical on-campus recruiting. Never had anyone lateral in from a law firm into my group, but 1) I was industry coverage, not M&A (where a legal background would be more valuable), and 2) I met some more junior ex-lawyers at another bank on a few transactions. You'd want to go through a connection though, as on paper it makes more sense to just hire a banker from a competitor.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”