Working at Criminal Defense Firm while wanting to be at DA's office Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Working at Criminal Defense Firm while wanting to be at DA's office

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:02 pm

I am a 2L who plans to apply to the district attorney's office when I graduate. I will be interning at this office for my 2L summer. I also have and continue to take classes regarding criminal law and prosecution

Recently, I noticed new opportunities for my 3L year regarding externships. A few criminal defense firms are going to hire 3Ls to work at their firms. These jobs will be paid and I would receive externship credit for them. The money would be a big factor into why I would apply for the job. However, I am concerned that doing this may affect my ability to get a job with the district attorney's office after I graduate.

Another thing to note is that if I apply for these jobs and get one, I would be unable to apply for the Criminal Prosecution Clinic.

My main goal is to get a job when I graduate and I am willing to sacrifice the money for it (even though it would really help). Does anyone on here have any advice on whether it would affect me?

Sidenote: I would think that working at a defense firm and understanding their side of things would actually help me as a prosecutor, but I have heard that District Attorney offices actually look at it as a negative. Thank you

Beatmyshorts

New

Re: Working at Criminal Defense Firm while wanting to be at DA's office

Post by Beatmyshorts » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:11 pm

I'm a prosecutor. At my office, no one would hold it against you. I'm not sure how much it would help you get a job, but it wouldn't be a negative. It's not like public defense, where it's a huge problem if you have prosecutorial experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:13 pm

In my experience as a prosecutor, no one would blink an eye at a defense background - it would be considered valuable perspective. It's public defenders who don't want to touch anyone who's had anything to do with prosecution (criminal defense firms are different b/c having prosecution experience usually sells well to paying clients).

That said, the more court experience you can get, the better, and I suspect you'd get more actual experience in court doing a prosecution clinic, where you'd be the lawyer for all intents and purposes, compared to working for a firm - depending on what kind of work the firm gave you, but they're less likely to get you standing up in court (I think. Maybe I'm wrong).

(Or, um, what the guy above me said.)

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:10 pm

You may get a question or two about it, but it won't preclude you from getting hired.

The criminal prosecution clinic, however, is a great way to get some experience and your foot in the door, especially if you want to work in the office that hosts the clinic. Its not guaranteed, but I know that at least a fourth of my class had done the clinic hosted by my office.

DAhopeful2019

New

Post by DAhopeful2019 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am a 2L who plans to apply to the district attorney's office when I graduate. I will be interning at this office for my 2L summer. I also have and continue to take classes regarding criminal law and prosecution

Recently, I noticed new opportunities for my 3L year regarding externships. A few criminal defense firms are going to hire 3Ls to work at their firms. These jobs will be paid and I would receive externship credit for them. The money would be a big factor into why I would apply for the job. However, I am concerned that doing this may affect my ability to get a job with the district attorney's office after I graduate.

Another thing to note is that if I apply for these jobs and get one, I would be unable to apply for the Criminal Prosecution Clinic.

My main goal is to get a job when I graduate and I am willing to sacrifice the money for it (even though it would really help). Does anyone on here have any advice on whether it would affect me?

Sidenote: I would think that working at a defense firm and understanding their side of things would actually help me as a prosecutor, but I have heard that District Attorney offices actually look at it as a negative. Thank you
From my understanding, prosecutors don't care at all if you've done defense work but defense (particularly public defenders) don't like to see prosecution work.

I don't think it'll negatively affect your chances of being hired by a DA's office and if you need money, I would do it. That being said, I went through the DA application process last semester and was offered a job by an office and having the prosecution clinic on my resume really helped. I was asked about it in every interview and it always impressed them that I already had experience doing the same work that first year ADAs are doing and standing up in court. I think it gives you an advantage. I also got to skip the screener with the office that my clinic was in and go straight to the panel so it's helpful in that regard too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”