Listing CLE's on resume Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
L_William_W

Bronze

Listing CLE's on resume

Post by L_William_W » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:56 am

I'm an attorney who's admitted in NY and NJ. I'm currently at a job at a law firm where I'm basically a paralegal making McDonalds wages. I've been there for a year and want to move on to greener pastures. However, I don't have much legal experience other than school clinics and the 50 hour New York pro bono requirement. I'm considering beefing up my resume by listing the CLE's that I've completed. Is that a good idea?

albanach

Gold

Re: Listing CLE's on resume

Post by albanach » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:08 pm

L_William_W wrote:I'm an attorney who's admitted in NY and NJ. I'm currently at a job at a law firm where I'm basically a paralegal making McDonalds wages. I've been there for a year and want to move on to greener pastures. However, I don't have much legal experience other than school clinics and the 50 hour New York pro bono requirement. I'm considering beefing up my resume by listing the CLE's that I've completed. Is that a good idea?
Given every attorney has attended numerous CLEs, I'm not sure this will add value.

What field are you working in? Join the appropriate section of the local bar association and start networking like heck. Learn stuff, keep up to date in the field and teach some CLEs. Then you can put that on your résumé.

If you can't speak in public, join toastmasters or something similar.

Also, keep trying to do more at work, without neglecting your existing responsibilities.

Guchster

Silver

Re: Listing CLE's on resume

Post by Guchster » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:56 pm

L_William_W wrote:I'm an attorney who's admitted in NY and NJ. I'm currently at a job at a law firm where I'm basically a paralegal making McDonalds wages. I've been there for a year and want to move on to greener pastures. However, I don't have much legal experience other than school clinics and the 50 hour New York pro bono requirement. I'm considering beefing up my resume by listing the CLE's that I've completed. Is that a good idea?
I would only list CLEs that you've given or co-presented.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”