What is Tech/IP Trans and why are recruiters pestering me about it?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What is Tech/IP Trans and why are recruiters pestering me about it?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:49 pm

I'm a 4th year, just started at a midsize (but "Tier 1") firm a few months ago. My practice consists entirely of financial services regulatory work, with particular focus on fintech and cybersecurity (although my practice at large is broader). Since I joined this firm I get weekly reach-outs from recruiters for Tech Transactional or IP Transactional roles at vault firms.

Am I missing something? What does my work, which is detailed in my firm profile, have to do with Tech Transactions? Are these recruiters just throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks?

Anonymous User

Re: What is Tech/IP Trans and why are recruiters pestering me about it?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:12 pm

They probably saw fintech and added you to their list for Tech Trans. I’m in Employee Benefits but I regularly get privacy and cybersecurity posts because my profile mentions HIPAA and HITECH.

Anonymous User

Re: What is Tech/IP Trans and why are recruiters pestering me about it?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:They probably saw fintech and added you to their list for Tech Trans. I’m in Employee Benefits but I regularly get privacy and cybersecurity posts because my profile mentions HIPAA and HITECH.

Thanks, I figured as much. Really goes to show how awful some of these recruiters can be.

Return to “Legal Employment?