DLA Piper, Austin / General question about leverage Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DLA Piper, Austin / General question about leverage

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:08 pm

I am considering applying to a mid-level corporate lateral opening at DLA in Austin. Coming from a V50 in larger market, I am interested in the Austin market for cost of living and quality of life reasons. Wanted to see if anyone in the Austin market could provide some intel about DLA Austin and where it stands relative to the other corporate players in town (V&E, WSGR, etc).

Based on the firm website, I see that they have four corporate partners with nine associates plus a counsel (not counting that funds team). Those numbers seem reasonable, but one partner seems quite young while another is an exec committee guy who may be more managerial, so I am wondering whether that small number of partners are able to generate enough work to feed ten people. This kind of leverage ratio is common in NYC, but not sure if it is unusual for the Texas market.

I am not too concerned with partnership prospects, just want to be at a place where I can have a reasonable shot of hitting bonus every year.

Anonymous User

Re: DLA Piper, Austin / General question about leverage

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:24 am

All Austin offices are pretty small (except Jackson Walker), so openings are rare. Anecdotally, I’ve heard the DLA office is fine, no major red flags.

If you want to move here, my advice would be to take whatever opportunity comes up in the big law space. Then once you’re here it’s much easier to meet people, build relationships, and demonstrate that you’re rooted to be able to lateral across town.

Anonymous User

Re: DLA Piper, Austin / General question about leverage

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:45 am

Bump

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”