Pepper Hamilton Raises?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Pepper Hamilton Raises?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:32 pm

Did Pepper Hamilton really raise its small market starting salaries $15k (from $160 to $175) but not adjust its major markets (at $180)?

I’m interested in a major market office of Pepper. I’m a little surprised by the move. Anyone know more? Does anyone know what their $180 scale looks like?

Anonymous User

Re: Pepper Hamilton Raises?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:06 am

Ex-Pepper here. Stay away. The firm _looks_ like a real law firm, but it's been on the struggle bus for a few years now. There were even rumors the firm was going to have to do a capital call. The training is literally awful to nonexistent. It's just a dinosaur of a firm that will take any random senior lawyer with a book, but has no real cohesive strategy or special niche. It's very Philly centric, which is great if you're in Philly and not so great if you're not in Philly. Pepper is extremely slow to raise. When I was there, first years in major markets made as much or more as 8th years in other markets. It was just nonsense. Also, there have been a few sexual harassment scandals in different offices in recent years, and they were pretty damn awful, swept under the rug but _dayum_ they were bad.

If you're looking to get a foot into biglaw...maybe. If you have any other options, do that.

Also, bonuses are substantially, laughably below market. Like ARE YOU KIDDING ME? below market, not just a smidge below, and this goes for major markets. One of my colleagues billed 2500+ as a 6th year and got less than 20K. And the firm was right shocked when said colleague gave notice mere weeks later. Like they genuinely couldn't figure out why. Why? If you work at Kirkland or any other number of decent firms, you'd get multiples of that for billing at that level. That's why.

Again, don't do it.

Return to “Legal Employment?