Advice regarding hours/workflow?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Advice regarding hours/workflow?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:08 pm

So, my hours were extremely low last year (1400 range) and I was obviously told I need to pick my hours up. The thing is that I work in a small team (10 attorneys) and I’ve called, emailed, stopped by offices, etc., for work all last year and rarely got work. My team is essentially all partners.

What should I do this year? I’ve been putting out feelers to see if I can lateral, but I’m in a very specialized practice that most biglaw firms do not do... and I’m not at a point in my career where I can feasibly take a huge pay cut.

QContinuum

Re: Advice regarding hours/workflow?

Postby QContinuum » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:46 pm

Are most members of your practice group based in your office, or are most of them in a different/larger office? If the latter, try transferring to that office. It can be tough to be one of the few members of a practice group based in a different office, especially as a junior. Seniors tend to prefer to give work to juniors in the same office.

Alternately, is it possible to change your practice area? You'll likely have to take a class year hit, but it may be worth it given the limited prospects in your chosen area.

Return to “Legal Employment?