When to contact firm about returning from clerkship Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ughbugchugplug

Bronze

When to contact firm about returning from clerkship

Post by ughbugchugplug » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:44 pm

I worked at a NYC firm for a year and then left for a one year clerkship, which started in september. When should I reach out about returning? I know they told me but I don’t remember.

Npret

Gold

Re: When to contact firm about returning from clerkship

Post by Npret » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:22 pm

ughbugchugplug wrote:I worked at a NYC firm for a year and then left for a one year clerkship, which started in september. When should I reach out about returning? I know they told me but I don’t remember.
You’re definitely returning? Or you have to ask them if they want you back?

An easy thing I might do would be to email recruiting and wish them happy holidays, say how great your experience is now, and you’re looking forward to returning after a year.
Then ask them to confirm the date.

This one seems like a simple question to HR but you don’t want to look so sloppy that you don’t pay attention as to when to be in touch. So use the holidays as a cover. It’s a bit transparent but support people appreciate being remembered too at the holidays, who doesn’t?

ughbugchugplug

Bronze

Post by ughbugchugplug » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:02 am

Npret wrote:
ughbugchugplug wrote:I worked at a NYC firm for a year and then left for a one year clerkship, which started in september. When should I reach out about returning? I know they told me but I don’t remember.
You’re definitely returning? Or you have to ask them if they want you back?

An easy thing I might do would be to email recruiting and wish them happy holidays, say how great your experience is now, and you’re looking forward to returning after a year.
Then ask them to confirm the date.

This one seems like a simple question to HR but you don’t want to look so sloppy that you don’t pay attention as to when to be in touch. So use the holidays as a cover. It’s a bit transparent but support people appreciate being remembered too at the holidays, who doesn’t?
Thanks! Yeah this seems like a good idea. I would like to return but I have to see if they want me to come back.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:59 am

NYC clerk recruiting starts in full swing in January, though some firms start even earlier.

Reaching out now is fine (assuming your judge is OK with you having an offer from the firm; you'll want to recuse yourself from any case in which the firm is involved), or in January.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:NYC clerk recruiting starts in full swing in January, though some firms start even earlier.

Reaching out now is fine (assuming your judge is OK with you having an offer from the firm; you'll want to recuse yourself from any case in which the firm is involved), or in January.
To emphasize this, I'm a current clerk and already getting quite a few screener. If you don't have an offer already, I'd start applying tomorrow.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”