Private sector chances from government (no former private experience) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Private sector chances from government (no former private experience)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:30 am

I'm in a pretty prestigious position in government (at least among my field), have 4 years of relevant experience but no firm or private sector experience. Most of the attorneys in my position are T14 grads (I'd say half of those are HYS) with substantial to significant biglaw experience, some even former firm partners. However, my grades aren't stellar, median at a school ranked in the 50-60s. How did I get the position? I hustled through internships, got my name out there to relevant people, and jumped onto opportunities with no hesitation (also doesn't hurt I have a very niche kind of skill that can't be acquired in law school).

The agency I'm in is not the typical government position that you clock in and clock out promptly every day. I want to know what my private sector chances are down the road. There are plenty I know that go through this revolving door but most start out from private sector, then government, then private.

objctnyrhnr

Re: Private sector chances from government (no former private experience)

Post by objctnyrhnr » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:38 pm

Congrats on the prestigious govt gig.

You should start planning your move to the private sector sooner rather than later. Eventually, it’s just too late in the eyes of the private sector lawyers doing the hiring. That said, a little bit of pertinent gov experience can be very useful (especially if prestigious).

Common wisdom is the best way to make this move is to clerk at a relatively high level and make your move out of there. And network network network.

You can do it. No time like the present.

Npret

Gold

Re: Private sector chances from government (no former private experience)

Post by Npret » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm in a pretty prestigious position in government (at least among my field), have 4 years of relevant experience but no firm or private sector experience. Most of the attorneys in my position are T14 grads (I'd say half of those are HYS) with substantial to significant biglaw experience, some even former firm partners. However, my grades aren't stellar, median at a school ranked in the 50-60s. How did I get the position? I hustled through internships, got my name out there to relevant people, and jumped onto opportunities with no hesitation (also doesn't hurt I have a very niche kind of skill that can't be acquired in law school).

The agency I'm in is not the typical government position that you clock in and clock out promptly every day. I want to know what my private sector chances are down the road. There are plenty I know that go through this revolving door but most start out from private sector, then government, then private.
You have 4 years of practice in this position or 4 years of other experience? What year would you expect to come in to a firm? Do you interact with private firms in a way that can help you network?
It’s possible to move to a private firm without working in a private firm before government. You just need to sell your skills as you did to get this job. Your work experience will count more than your school and grades at this point.
You don’t say why you want to move and I’m curious but maybe you can’t withot revealing more about yourself.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”