IBR Recertification Question - Can I use last year's tax return if my salary doubled midyear? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

IBR Recertification Question - Can I use last year's tax return if my salary doubled midyear?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:35 pm

Hi, I flamed out of big law as a first year because of a combo of a slow firm and making typos (I assume I wasn't liked, and am admittedly bad in hierarchal structures), and took a substantial income drop to do a 9-5 doing legal research and analysis for a different kind of company. For performance-based reasons that helped lead to growth, my income has doubled to the point of being comparable to big law base.

I have been on IBR, and I'd obviously prefer to use last year's tax return because then my monthly payment would be much lower. There is a question that asks if your income significantly changed, and gives a defining example as being laid off. Now, I was not laid off and significant is subjective so my question is whether I could use last year's income. I understand that a 200% increase in income is likely significant under most reasonable analyses so will prob just say yes, show a paystub and pay more, but if it's customary for people to just submit their tax return in situations like mine, I don't want to be a shlump.

HillandHollow

Bronze

Re: IBR Recertification Question - Can I use last year's tax return if my salary doubled midyear?

Post by HillandHollow » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:00 pm

Construing a 200% increase in income as anything less than substantial is ludicrous.

nixy

Gold

Re: IBR Recertification Question - Can I use last year's tax return if my salary doubled midyear?

Post by nixy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:11 pm

It’s absolutely a substantial increase, but anecdotally, I’ve known people who use whichever is to their advantage (tax return or salary) and just wait till their tax return catches up with the higher salary. Depends how you feel about doing that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:14 pm

HillandHollow wrote:Construing a 200% increase in income as anything less than substantial is ludicrous.
OP here: I know it's substantial but significant is a much more powerful word. I wouldn't say the Yankees significantly improved their pitching rotation by trading for James Paxton. I'd say he's a substantial addition. Significant would be more like if they additionally got Kluber and deGrom, but I get that my situation probably crosses over into the significant threshold. I'm more just looking to confirm that standard practice is to check the box for significant from anyone whose been in a similar position - probably someone who clerked for a year, then went to big law.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:16 pm

nixy wrote:It’s absolutely a substantial increase, but anecdotally, I’ve known people who use whichever is to their advantage (tax return or salary) and just wait till their tax return catches up with the higher salary. Depends how you feel about doing that.
OP again. I don't have a problem with doing it if it is not dishonest, and won't lead to disbarment. I would probably give most of the money to charity, but like most would like to give as little money to the government as possible without violating my personal ethics and the standards of the legal profession.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:05 pm

I meant to say "significant," but I misstyped, sorry. Construing that much as anything other than significant is ludicrous. Especially when you are aware that the point is to determine what you are able to pay per month. There is not a good argument for why you would supply your old, significantly lower, income.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
nixy wrote:It’s absolutely a substantial increase, but anecdotally, I’ve known people who use whichever is to their advantage (tax return or salary) and just wait till their tax return catches up with the higher salary. Depends how you feel about doing that.
OP again. I don't have a problem with doing it if it is not dishonest, and won't lead to disbarment. I would probably give most of the money to charity, but like most would like to give as little money to the government as possible without violating my personal ethics and the standards of the legal profession.

Stop. You know what the right answer to this is. There's no reasonable, defensible interpretation of the word "significant" where making twice as much money as you did would not be considered significant.
If making twice as much is "substantial," but not "significant," what would you consider "significant" increase? Making three times as much? Come on now.p

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:33 pm

encore1101 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Stop. You know what the right answer to this is. There's no reasonable, defensible interpretation of the word "significant" where making twice as much money as you did would not be considered significant.
If making twice as much is "substantial," but not "significant," what would you consider "significant" increase? Making three times as much? Come on now.p
I guess I'm just curious what people do in their year between clerking and big law. That's a 3-4x increase. If they don't count that as significant, then it's a fortiori that this isn't significant.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:44 pm

I mean, it’s clearly significant, as is your increase. Whether people choose to disclose that increase before they have to when it’s revealed on their tax return is a separate question than whether the increase is significant.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:30 pm

I was in this position. I ended up using my $0 from the previous year.

Yes, you can’t really argue that a 200% increase isn’t significant. HOWEVER, ALL of the examples talking about a significant change refer to losing a job, getting a decrease in salary, etc.

At the end of the day, it’s a pain in the butt to submit additional forms instead of your tax return and I would assume it’s more annoying for the other end too.

I will always justify it the way I did above if I’m ever questioned about it.

People will disagree with my reasoning, but I don’t see it being a big issue.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:20 am

Have others followed the above poster? If so, were there negative repercussions? Again, I'm not trying to do anything dishonest but just get a sense for what's customary in this situation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:21 am

Sorry post above was me (OP). I'm just trying to get a feel for custom.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:39 am

I'm a recent grad that started in big law last month and I asked the dean of my school's financial aid this same question a week ago. He told me not to check that box, even though my salary did substantially change since I didn't summer last year (normal hourly internship).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:I would probably give most of the money to charity, but like most would like to give as little money to the government as possible without violating my personal ethics and the standards of the legal profession.
Oh, well if you promise you'll give most of the money to charity, then it's no longer unethical. The free market works!

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:Have others followed the above poster? If so, were there negative repercussions? Again, I'm not trying to do anything dishonest but just get a sense for what's customary in this situation.
The answer is you can likely get away with it, but you’re also knowingly giving materially inaccurate information in a certified statement to the government so ymmv.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:02 pm

It’s one of those things everybody does but it’s technically wrong.

It’s a judgment call on your end. I’d use the tax return.

clarion

Bronze

Post by clarion » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:03 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:It’s one of those things everybody does but it’s technically wrong.

It’s a judgment call on your end. I’d use the tax return.
^What this person said. It's way more common than people ITT seem to think it is.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”