E-Discovery Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

E-Discovery

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:11 pm

I have one year experience at a firm in New York. In my lateral interview at another firm they asked if I had e-discovery experience. What exactly is e-discovery and what do attorneys do on these cases?

gregfootball2001

Silver

Re: E-Discovery

Post by gregfootball2001 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:50 pm

It's not a type of case - they're referring to electronic discovery, where you conduct a discovery review through a computer program instead of just reading paper copies. Something like Relativity. How did you do discovery at your old firm?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:18 pm

gregfootball2001 wrote:It's not a type of case - they're referring to electronic discovery, where you conduct a discovery review through a computer program instead of just reading paper copies. Something like Relativity. How did you do discovery at your old firm?
Through the hard paper copies.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
gregfootball2001 wrote:It's not a type of case - they're referring to electronic discovery, where you conduct a discovery review through a computer program instead of just reading paper copies. Something like Relativity. How did you do discovery at your old firm?
What do you do in Relativity besides just reading papers on a screen? I don't understand why that would be a hiring requirement if it sounds that basic.

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
What do you do in Relativity besides just reading papers on a screen? I don't understand why that would be a hiring requirement if it sounds that basic.
They may have been asking if you know how to use any of the programs - if you know how to work with large data sets (1M+ docs), find and exclude privileged docs, key word searches, timeline searches, etc. Or maybe they wanted to know if you had ever led a discovery team. It's the difference between a law library and Westlaw. Both are just for reading cases, but there's a difference.

hlss09

New

Post by hlss09 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Relativity, Disco, etc. are easy enough to use, but mastering these programs in a way that gives you a competitive edge is quite difficult. If you don't include key search terms, for instance, you may miss critical hot docs in a 1M+ doc review. A lot of firms expect associates to have at least some working knowledge of these programs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”