How long to stay at firm post-clerkship? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How long to stay at firm post-clerkship?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:44 pm

Recently returned to dc law firm I summered at after clerking in federal district court. I already know, for a number of reasons, that I don’t want to stick around for too long, mainly because there are not really traditional litigation opportunities for those in the “litigation” department. I did not fully appreciate that fact as a summer. I can feel in my gut that this firm is just not the right fit for me. While I could see myself perhaps enjoying a career in the investigations practice group at the firm (im currently on an investigation and it’s my favorite assignment so far), I don’t want to give up on the idea of being a traditional litigator. Especially because I’m interested in federal government jobs down the line (and worked there for several years before law school as well). Yes, the firm has pro bono opportunities that gear towards traditional/trial lit, but if the one I’m on now is any indication, the more senior litigators don’t always have time to fully train more junior associates in pro bono, but that’s another issue altogether. Anyway, point is, how soon is too soon to begin applying elsewhere? I’m assuming that I’d burn bridges, screw over teammates on the matters I’m staffed on, and look bad to other firms if I start applying after just a few months here—especially since I accepted the clerkship bonus! Would a year be an acceptable time to start looking? Thanks for any insight!

Auxilio

Silver

Re: How long to stay at firm post-clerkship?

Post by Auxilio » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:34 am

I'm only a clerk currently but I think a year is both (1) reasonable minimum time and (2) often the clawback time on your bonus. I would aim to hit that target if you can. Although if you truly hate the situation, a more radical choice can be made.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:43 am

That makes sense. I actually don’t think there is a clawback on the bonus, strangely enough, but I do think you’re right that, in terms of reasonableness, a year is the correct call. Thanks!!

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:That makes sense. I actually don’t think there is a clawback on the bonus, strangely enough, but I do think you’re right that, in terms of reasonableness, a year is the correct call. Thanks!!
That would be odd if they don't have a clawback period. It could also apply to any reimbursement costs (moving/bar/etc.) that they paid you.

If they don't have a clawback period, that does make it easier to just leave, but I think a year is a good target if you don't hate it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”